kittens lost mom!

Old March 21st 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default kittens lost mom!

I have 2 week old kittens, I let the mom out for a bathroom break and
she never returned? Its been 2 days! What is the best mixture to feed
the kittens? The have no teeth but have been taking milk from a suringe.

Old March 22nd 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Tue 21 Mar 2006 06:46:41p, Erskine wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

I have 2 week old kittens, I let the mom out for a bathroom
break and she never returned? Its been 2 days! What is the best
mixture to feed the kittens? The have no teeth but have been
taking milk from a suringe.

I hope she comes back! The kittens are going to need something
richer than plain milk. Do a web search for "kitten glop". Here's
one. The entire web page link is helpful for rearing tiny kittens.
How many are there?

"If commercial kitten formula is not available, a suitable feed
mixture for healthy kittens is 1.6 ml evaporated milk, 1.6 ml
cooled boiled water, 1 level teaspoon glucose, 1 small egg yolk (no
white at all). One recommended by a veterinarian is 3 oz condensed
milk, 3 oz water, 3 oz plain full fat yoghurt, 3 large or 4 small
egg yolks (no whites). An alternative is kitten glop. These are not
suitable for sick kittens."

KITTEN GLOP

Kitten Glop is a suitable feed mixture for healthy kittens and is
also good for lactating queens. Most recipes refer to American
brand names which are not understood outside of the USA/Canada. I
have converted these to generic terms and noted alternatives.

Ingredients

* 1 envelope unflavoured gelatine
* water per gelatine package directions (approx 12 oz)
* 1 12 oz can whole evaporated milk (not skimmed) See notes
* 3 tablespoons plain yoghurt (not low fat)
* 3 teaspoons clear corn syrup See notes
* 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
* 1 or 2 raw egg yolks (optional) See notes

http://messybeast.com/handrear.htm

Best wishes!

--
Cheryl
Old March 22nd 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Tue 21 Mar 2006 08:23:47p, Rhonda wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

Something's really wrong if the Mom didn't come back to her
kittens -- have you canvassed the neighborhood? I'd go door to
door and ask them to open all garages, sheds, and out-buildings.
She might be locked in somewhere.

Glad you pointed that out. Rhonda, you've raised baby kittens, at
what age can you start making a slurry out of cat food and formula
for them to lap up? How long do you have to stimulate the bowel and
bladder manually? At two weeks, and if momma kitty doesn't come
back, how long will it be for the kittens to be "out of the woods"?

KMR formula would be better than cow's milk. You can buy it at
most Petco-type stores.

--
Cheryl
Old March 22nd 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Phil's site
http://www.maxshouse.com/kitten_care...phan%20Kittens
"Erskine" wrote in message ...
I have 2 week old kittens, I let the mom out for a bathroom break and
she never returned? Its been 2 days! What is the best mixture to feed
the kittens? The have no teeth but have been taking milk from a suringe.

(Roxy)(ToJo) (Dizzy) (Razzie) (M.B.)
Old March 24th 06, 11:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Cheryl Sellner wrote:

On Tue 21 Mar 2006 08:23:47p, Rhonda wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):
Something's really wrong if the Mom didn't come back to her
kittens -- have you canvassed the neighborhood? I'd go door to
door and ask them to open all garages, sheds, and out-buildings.
She might be locked in somewhere.

Glad you pointed that out. Rhonda, you've raised baby kittens, at what
age can you start making a slurry out of cat food and formula for them to
lap up? How long do you have to stimulate the bowel and bladder
manually? At two weeks, and if momma kitty doesn't come back, how long
will it be for the kittens to be "out of the woods"?

Hi Cheryl,

We raised one batch of kittens and the mother was with them the whole
time. We started a slurry I think around 4 weeks. Ours were pretty slow to
try cat food, they were pretty stuck on mom, so to speak. I don't know
about the stimulating the bladder and being out of the woods part, since
we've only done this with the mom, but hopefully someone else will have
that answer.

I sure hope they find the mom, she's probably frantic wherever she is. At
2 weeks, Maggie was just beginning to spend a little time away from the
kittens but kept them in sight.

Rhonda

I've had kittens wean at 4 weeks and others refuse to give up the bottle
until 6 weeks. The later was a single kitten the former a litter so I don't
know if that had anything to do with it.

As for the stimulating them, you do that until you find poo in their cage
and they are walking. Then set up a little litter box (low enough sides for
them to be able to get into it), put kitty in the box, take the front paws
and gently scratch in the litter. Then stimulate the kitty until they go
standing in the box. Do that a couple of times for each kitty and in no time
you should notice them using the box on their own.

As for being out of the woods part, you do the best you can. Keep them warm,
fed and clean and more than likely they will be fine. Wash your hands before
handling the kittens. Some virus can live in the environment for a long time
so you don't want to inadvertently drag something in to the kittens.

You keep looking for mom. Her milk will dry up if the kittens aren't nursing
so you may still have to feed these guys even if you find her. You don't
need her out there getting pregnant again so try to find her.

Good luck with your kitties.

Old March 24th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I have 2 week old kittens, I let the mom out for a bathroom break and
she never returned? Its been 2 days! What is the best mixture to feed
the kittens? The have no teeth but have been taking milk from a suringe.

Another thing that you can do is call your local shelters. Sometimes they
have a nursing mom there who doesn't have very many kittens and can take on
more. When I worked in a shelter, they often gave orphans to nursing moms.
Give them a call, they might let you bring them in to do this.

NanCe