eBay's new Cats Neighborhood

Old October 15th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default eBay's new Cats Neighborhood

On Oct 14, 6:36 pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
Ted wrote:

http://301url.com/CatsHood

After snipping all the cross-posting, I have to wonder why eBay has a
section to discuss cats. Are they going to start selling them at auction?
Can you buy a cat on eBay? *Would* you buy a cat on eBay?? I certainly
wouldn't. I see some of the posts are about selling cat-related items.
That makes a certain amount of sense, although I'm not sure it warrants a
"discussion group" about cats.

Jill
P.S. I'm not installing Flash on my computer just for this.

I keep getting "reply required" messges from eBay (which
Earthlink's spam-buster throws into the "suspect" file).
Since I have NEVER bought or sold anything by way of eBay, I
have to assume it's some form of fraud, and don't bother to
open it. However, I can't help wondering how they got my
address.

I think e-bay and Paypal are the #1 phishing schemes around. I never
open
anything from e-bay received via e-mail. (If they want to tell you
something,
they send a message to your personal e-bay page anyway).

Sherry

Old October 15th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Sherry wrote:
On Oct 14, 5:03 pm, Suz wrote:
On Oct 14, 4:44?pm, Sherry wrote:

On Oct 14, 4:23 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:

Trish wrote:
On Oct 14, 1:17 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
Ted wrote:
http://301url.com/CatsHood

After snipping all the cross-posting, I have to wonder why eBay
has a section to discuss cats. I see some of the posts are
about selling cat-related items. That makes a certain amount of
sense, although I'm not sure it warrants a "discussion group"

Jill,
The eBay discussion groups actually don't discuss their auctions
at all. They talk about their cats and everything else. They
only have in common that they sell on eBay. I belong to a feral
cat group there and they have been helpful with info about feral
cat care and behavior questions.

Trish

Really? How come one of the posts from 10/12 is:

http://discussions-neighborhoods.eba...scussions/Cat-...

with 2 metal cat sculpture item numbers listed?

Jill

Again, e-bay is all about buying and selling. You'd expect ads in a
catlovers' group.
I think it's great they have a forum to do that. E-bay sellers used
to spam cat groups
with their wares.

Sherry

You can buy items for your cat on ebay. I bought a crinkle sack
fishbed for Spicey. She doesn't sleep in it, but sleeps on it.
Suz&Spicey

Yoda did the same thing! I bought a pattern for a crinkle sack. It was
lined bag, with cellophane layers between the layers to make it
crinkle.
I spent hours and hours trying to get bottom of the bag right so it
would stay open. Then he wouldn't even get *in* in. I could have made
him a flat "crinkle mat" in a half hour to lay ON.
Sherry

Persia just lays on the top of hers, too. Sometimes she rolls around on it
because she likes the sound. But she never gets in it.

Jill

Old October 15th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Sherry wrote:
On Oct 14, 12:17 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
Ted wrote:
http://301url.com/CatsHood

After snipping all the cross-posting, I have to wonder why eBay has a
section to discuss cats. Are they going to start selling them at
auction? Can you buy a cat on eBay? *Would* you buy a cat on eBay??
I certainly wouldn't. I see some of the posts are about selling
cat-related items. That makes a certain amount of sense, although
I'm not sure it warrants a "discussion group" about cats.

Jill
P.S. I'm not installing Flash on my computer just for this.

It's nothing sinister. They've also started an e-bay quilting group.
As far
as I saw, the posts were about like any newsgroups. Of course
there's going to be discussion about buying/selling cat items, since
that's what e-bay is all about.
E-bay does not allow the sale of live animals, or at least that was
the rule
in the beginning.

Sherry

I was being facetious about the selling of cats on eBay. But there are
people posting strictly about things they want to sell. They aren't
discussing their cats. So I wouldn't be bothered. I know how to search for
items well enough. You mentioned spammers hitting the cat ngs. As far as
I'm concerned it's the same thing, it's just on an eBay discussion forum
instead.

Jill

Old October 15th 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
Ted wrote:

[...]

Yep. They phish. As to how they get the email addresses, I suspect it's
something akin to an auto-dialer some telemarketing firms use. They
generate email addresses at random and the ones that don't come back as
undeliverable are valid addresses.

No one should EVER respond to emails of this type (not that you're stupid
enough to do that, Evelyn, but it surprises me the number of people who
are). I regularly get emails about updating my Wachovia bank account
information. I do not have, nor have I ever had, an account with Wachovia
so that one is pretty clear cut. I do, however, buy filters for Persia's
Drinkwell fountain on eBay and use PayPal to complete the transaction. But
their policies are pretty clear - they don't send you emails asking you to
update anything. Ever.

Jill

Old October 15th 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
Ted wrote:

[...]

PayPal will send reminders that a credit card is about to expire. But they
have a clue in their email - they will NOT say "dear customer" they will say
"dear yourname". Anything I get that is purported to be from PayPal that
does not say "dear myname" gets reported to PayPal w/ complete headers and
then deleted. PayPal is quick to shut down fishing sites IF I go to
PayPal, I use the addy in my bookmarks, or just type it in myself (NEVER
click a link in an email unless it's from a KNOWN TRUSTED site/person).

For PayPal, the email addy to send suspected phishing emails to is

EBay has a similar (should, since they are owned by the same people)

--
http://www.firstgiving.com/nalee1131964
About my charity:

Old October 15th 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Ted wrote:
[...]

I completely agree, Jill, that's why I immediately killfiled the OP.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old October 15th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Trish

You're right, Jill. I have since seen a group that plugs their wares
and asks for particular items---helpful if you sell cat stuff like
me! (I actually joined it) But it really depends on the group. My
main group I check in on is a feral cat group, and they have never
discussed their auctions (which are mostly not related to cats
anyway.) This one has moderators who watch the discussions. I like
that because they dump posts from crazy people pushing scams or
posting vuglar material.

And I also like the crinkle sack. My kitties love the noise. (I sell
it---anyone interested, check out my profile for link to my website.)

Evelyn--you should report those emails that pretend to be ebay. They
are a fraud.

Trish

Old October 19th 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Ted wrote:

The guy is posting all over cooking newsgroups about eBay's new "cooking
neighborhood", too. He must be getting paid for this. Per click, or some
such crap.

Jill

Old November 4th 07, 11:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Ted[_3_]

In article
emailer.net
(Ted) wrote: