My computer crapped out last night

Old July 31st 12, 06:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default My computer crapped out last night

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:

"Cheryl" wrote in message
. com...
On 7/26/2012 8:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
Very lucky! I've done system restores before, too. In this
instance, I got the "beep beep beep". The machine would turn on but
the monitor and other components were simply dead. (This is a
laptop). Fortunately the hard drive was still readable so they're
restoring that to a portable hard drive. I'll be able to reload some
data. Meanwhile, I've lost my contacts/address book info. Hence my
request for people to send me emails so I can add you folks back to
my contacts list.

There are also little external drive bays with USB connectors that you
can buy for cheap to restore your data to a new computer. That's
what I did. A little SATA drive bay. Worked like a charm and cheaper.

When my previous computer crashed the files were hidden in dbx files
which I couldn't access. I lost them. We should all back up but I
don't.

DH always takes a back up every month or so of all three of or computers.

He learned his lesson one Saturday Morning when he was at work and writing
a computer programme. He'd been working for about four hours when he did
something and lost the lot. He managed to retrieve some of it, remember
some of it and patch the rest. It took him three hours at work and a lot
of the weekend at home. Since then, he's backed everything. I like to
write stories and am working on my second book (not published I just enjoy
it) I back up every half hour or so. I'm more than happy to learn from his
mistake.

Judith

I am ashamed to say I have no idea how to back up. How do you do it?
I probably should do it as a matter of urgency since my computer has given
me a warning ;-)

Old July 31st 12, 06:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

In article , "Christina Websell" wrote:

I am ashamed to say I have no idea how to back up. How do you do it?
I probably should do it as a matter of urgency since my computer has given
me a warning ;-)

It's a matter of how much effort and expense you want to throw at the problem.
I guess I'm one extreme: I have a separate physically-small computer running
Microsoft "Windows Home Server" that automatically backs up all of my
computers every day without intervention. If one of the machines hasn't been
plugged in for five days, it starts issuing warnings to all the other
machines that the machine in question hasn't been backed up recently.

The most common solution is to purchase a USB external drive and to obtain
some sort of backup program. Some are free for non-commercial use; others are
a purchased product. Microsoft has an inbuilt backup program in newer version
of Windows, but it has some problems and doesn't have a stellar reputation.
Some programs back up everything and will actually let you restore a crashed
computer, whereas others simply back up various important data files - mail,
pictures, documents, etc. The latter is good enough for most people.

I faced this problem for my frequent cycling partner, whose hard drive died a
few years ago. It had all her recent photos of her recently-deceased mother.
I still haven't managed to resurrect that drive. And she lost all her mail
and contacts and documents, as she had no backup.

I set her up with an external drive and, most recently, the free product
EaseUS backup. That seems to be a decent product with a solid reputation. It
was easy to set it up to back up the machine once per day. If I recall, I set
it up to do a full backup once a week and partial backups (only those things
that changed) the other six days. I have no reason not to recommend EaseUS.

Given that losing everything on a computer can range from highly inconvenient
to absolutely devestating, it's hard to overstate the importance of frequent
reliable backups.

Art