Need help pilling cat!

Old August 29th 03, 02:10 AM
Cheryl

Default Need help pilling cat!

wrote in message
Well, I have to give Smudge antibiotics (flagyl), and I guess it

must
be foul-tasting stuff because the vet gave me little empty gel

capsules
to put the pill in first.

Flagyl *is* nasty tasting stuff. Shadow is on it, probably for life.
I use gelcaps but you could see if you can have it compounded by a
compounding pharmacy. The vet will have to call it in as a
prescription so they know the dose of the med along with whatever they
compound it with but they have stuff like chicken flavor, liver
flavor, etc. Vetcentric does compounding but you probably need it
right away and that is mail order. The vet should know of one.

Old August 29th 03, 02:23 AM
Lois Reay

Hi Joyce, what I do with cats that are difficult to give tablets to is to
get a syringe and fill with just water, hold the cat head tilted back, pop
pill into mouth (as far back as you can) and follow it up with a squirt of
water, massage the throat until the water is swallowed.
Good luck, it works for me everytime.

Lois

wrote in message
Well, I have to give Smudge antibiotics (flagyl), and I guess it must
be foul-tasting stuff because the vet gave me little empty gel capsules
to put the pill in first.

Whatever, it doesn't work. She just won't swallow the thing. She kept
spitting it out, and I kept putting it back in, and I held her mouth
shut and stroked her throat, etc, but she would not swallow it.

What does work for both of my cats is to give them medicine in liquid
form. So what I'd like to do is dissolve the pill in some strong-tasting
stuff that cats like, and then squirt the liquid into the side of her
mouth (through her teeth, slowly, so she doesn't choke on it). I've been
doing this for years with decent-tasting medicines and it works fine.
The only problem I have with this is that I want to find some liquid
that's strong-tasting enough to hide the taste of the pill.

I don't want to use tuna juice because that requires me to open cans
of tuna. The tuna juice doesn't last that long (at least, it's not
good-tasting for that long) in the fridge, and I'm going to be giving
Smudge this medication for 2 weeks. That's a lot of cans of tuna to
waste. (OK, I could eat it, but I don't necessily *want* to eat tuna
that often. And interestingly enough, the cats don't like it that much,
either, even though it's the good stuff - so I can't feed it to them,
either.)

So, the question is, is there anything out there with *all* of the
following characteristics:

* Tastes really good to cats
* In liquid form (or powder that I can mix with water)
* Lasts at least 2 weeks
* Doesn't require me to waste other food to get to it
* Available in the USA (California)

For example, can you buy "sardine juice" by itself in a jar? How about
powders that you could mix with water, that produce a great-tasting
liquid for cats?

Please help, I'm desperate!!

Thanks,
Joyce

Old August 29th 03, 02:30 AM
Angela Ryan

Basically, sardine juice is just salty water.....and if she is like any of
the cats I know, she will love anything salty.

Just dissolve enough salt to make it "tastyish" to you....then see if she
likes the taste.....if she does then dissolve the tablet in that.

Hoping that was some help to you

Angela

Old August 29th 03, 02:52 AM
Motherthing

What about clam juice? I'm not sure how strongly flavored it is, but I know
you can find it in just about any grocery store and you can salt it up as
Angela said.

--
Motherthing

Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers
are starving to death.
- Rosalind Russell

Old August 29th 03, 03:03 AM
Victor M. Martinez

Adding to what others have said, you could try KMR formula. However, do
ask your vet first to see if it's ok to dissolve this pill.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old August 29th 03, 03:10 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article ,
at wrote on 8/28/03 7:55
PM:

[...]

Well, there is clam juice, but not all meds should be disolved. I have the
best luck with a little plastic piller (vet) and wrap them in a towel. If
you have it all laid out first, it takes about 30 seconds and they never
taste the pill. I follow it with a treat of chicken in broth.

Karen

Old August 29th 03, 03:45 AM
rrb_041303

Cheryl wrote:

"rrb_041303" wrote in message

wrote:

1. Call the vet back and see if you can get the medicine in liquid

form.

Since I have such trouble with my cats and pills I always get

medicine

in liquid form now.

Flagyl is available in liquid form but it is very very very bitter.
The cat ends up foaming and drooling all of it out. Or vomits. Nasty
stuff.

In checking on the net I see that you are talking about Metronidazole. I
can agree on the bitter part. I had to give that to male cat for four
days in liquid form. I never had a problem with him foaming with it
funny enough though. Maybe the dosing syringe the vet gave me helped
with the foaming. I had more trouble with the Baytril and foaming I
finished him on a week ago. Go figure.

Old August 29th 03, 03:51 AM
rrb_041303

[...]

Out of curiousity why is she being given Flagyl? It is an Anti-bacterial
drug not an anti-biotic. In any case I hope this gets easier soon, and
that Smudge is feeling better soon.

rrb

Old August 29th 03, 04:20 AM
John Biltz

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:55:45 -0700, wrote
(in message ):

Put the pill in the back of her mouth and quickly tilt her chin up and
blow in her eyes. She will swallow. Its some kind of involuntary
response. If you do it quickly enough she will be sitting there
wondering what happened.