OT Rant, rant rant

Old March 26th 05, 03:46 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

-L. wrote:

Karen wrote:

I begin to feel as though we are descending into the Dark Ages

again.....

snip

/me whacks head on desk again and again.

And yet, people wonder why we refuse to patronize *anything* in the
state of Florida...

Well..... there's Disneyworld, of course (but you can always
come to California to see the original Disneyland, or go to
Paris for the one there).

-L.

Old March 26th 05, 03:57 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Kreisleriana wrote:

The Nation has a whole issue about right-wing backlash towards
"liberal" university faculty. I've spent about half my life in
academia, and I've still never met a "liberal dictator professor." :P

I have to agree! It's true that Macalester (my alma mater)
has always been on the "liberal" side (it's also a
church-affiliated college - Presbyterian). One of the great
things about it was that its main purpose was to teach
students to use the brains God gave them, and learn to think
for themselves! Parroting back what the prof's lectures
told you was not the way to pass exams. On the other hand,
if your views were diametrically opposed to his/hers, but
you could express your viewpoint convincingly, backing it up
with well-reasoned argument, you were likely to get an A.
(Of course, former students include Hubert Humphrey, "Fritz"
Mondale, and Kofi Anan - along with a host of diplomats,
journalists, and assorted politicians of various
persuasions.) It's a great school, although it was entirely
the wrong choice for an aspiring opera singer.

Old March 26th 05, 04:00 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Seanette Blaylock wrote:

Kreisleriana had some very interesting
things to say about OT Rant, rant rant:

The Nation has a whole issue about right-wing backlash towards
"liberal" university faculty. I've spent about half my life in
academia, and I've still never met a "liberal dictator professor." :P

I met quite a few, in a community college in a rural area.

The only ones who fit that description at Macalester were a
couple of the Religion profs! (And not all of those, thank
God!)

Still, I guess freedom of belief only applies if you're politically
correct.

Apparently that's the Bush slant on it, anyway.

Old March 26th 05, 07:07 AM
Melissa Houle

CatNipped wrote in message
"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:25:34 -0600, "CatNipped"
yodeled:

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
.. .

snipped a lot of wisdom

That reminds me of a poem I once wrote...

"To a Creationist "

Fluctuations, constant motion, is whirling round your eyes.
"Now" is fluid, it soon becomes "then"; what is, now, is not.
Prophets screaming, "Follow my way, for only *I* am RIGHT!".
The fearful follow, sheep all herded, can't contend with change.

"Show us, help us, what shall we do, we can't go on this way!".
"Tell us, Guru, how can we make it all stay just the same?".
Find a God, then make Him changeless, and teach His Word as Law.
Make change sinful, make science a crime, teach kids FAITH in school.

Don't let them ask you to show them proof, God showed you the Light.
Inquiring minds are dangerous, nip them in the bud.
They can change things even much farther from your status quo.
Dig in your heels, bury your head, and MAKE them see your way.

Earth will flatten and rest again upon a turtle's back.
Stars are then pin holes in a backdrop your God lights for you.
And safe and sound you will always be, in control again.
'Cause your God's protection is only for you, you "Good Men".

But 'ware ye sheep, there exist some wolves; seekers of the truth.
Oh, Creation they doubt not, only how and when and why?
Their universe is larger, they love a much greater God.
A God who can, in one big bang, create infinity.

An infinity of wonder, just ripe to be explored.
Magic puzzles in the night sky, lessons, truth to be learned.
Mysteries abound all around them, begging to be solved.
Their God rewards their questing with Truth in all its Beauty.

For what is more beautiful than the intricate laws that
Apply to govern all space and time, within and without?
Their God is kind enough to let them quest and understand
And appreciate creation, all, not just what they ken.

"And treasure it all," He tells them, "it is your only chance."
"It's not for you, you don't own it, it's just left in your care."
Those wolves will keep seeking, for to truly love one must 'know'.
They love a God much greater than any YOU can create.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Whoa baby! That is ELOQUENT!

Thank you. It always ****es me off when people try to circumscribe *my*

God
and make him petty and small-minded. I think a God who can create

infinity
is much more complicatied than *THOSE* simpletons can understand! I don't
think even the *greatest* minds of humanity could come close to
understanding Him. It would be easier for an ant to write a learned

thesis
on mankind.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Theresa

Excellent poem and excellent point, Catnipped. If God has no greater wisdom
and breadth of mind than the fundamentalists who believe that only THEIR
version of the truth is valid, we'd all be in trouble, anyway. FOrtunately,
I'm sure God is MUCH wiser and more tolerant. I mean, if He REALLY hated
everyone except narrow minded white people, why would He have bothered
making the great variety of people following a great many different
religions who actually inhabit this planet?

A friend of mine pointed out, that while a day is 24 hours to humans, why
should we assume that a day is ALSO 24 hours as far as God is concerned?

My brother is an evolutionary biology professor at Florida State University
in Tallahassee... I wonder if HE's heard about this horrid, empty headed
bill. Sheesh, just what we need. Students who can sue their professors for
trying to broaden their minds! What bowls me over is the tyranny of these
small-minded people who are claiming professors are the tyrants!

Kakistocracy is term for a society being led by it's worst elements. I'm
begining to think we're living in one.

Melissa

Old March 26th 05, 07:11 AM
-L.

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Well..... there's Disneyworld, of course (but you can always
come to California to see the original Disneyland, or go to
Paris for the one there).

DH says the only thing he will ever do in FL is to poop on it as he
flys over it in an airplane. ;P

-L.

Old March 26th 05, 01:11 PM
Kreisleriana

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:57:27 -0800, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
yodeled:

Kreisleriana wrote:

The Nation has a whole issue about right-wing backlash towards
"liberal" university faculty. I've spent about half my life in
academia, and I've still never met a "liberal dictator professor." :P

I have to agree! It's true that Macalester (my alma mater)
has always been on the "liberal" side (it's also a
church-affiliated college - Presbyterian).

Hey, Minnesota Presbyterians are my kind of Presbyterians. I once
went to concert in a Presbyterian church in Minneapolis, and I was
startled to see nude statues on the grounds. It was an art
exhibition.

One of the great
things about it was that its main purpose was to teach
students to use the brains God gave them, and learn to think
for themselves! Parroting back what the prof's lectures
told you was not the way to pass exams. On the other hand,
if your views were diametrically opposed to his/hers, but
you could express your viewpoint convincingly, backing it up
with well-reasoned argument, you were likely to get an A.
(Of course, former students include Hubert Humphrey, "Fritz"
Mondale, and Kofi Anan - along with a host of diplomats,
journalists, and assorted politicians of various
persuasions.) It's a great school, although it was entirely
the wrong choice for an aspiring opera singer.

Sounds like you got quite a bit out of it, nonetheless.

Theresa
Old March 26th 05, 01:17 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 07:07:44 GMT, "Melissa Houle"
yodeled:

Kakistocracy is term for a society being led by it's worst elements. I'm
begining to think we're living in one.

Melissa

What a great word!

Theresa
Old March 26th 05, 01:18 PM
Kreisleriana

On 25 Mar 2005 23:11:39 -0800, "-L."
yodeled:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Well..... there's Disneyworld, of course (but you can always
come to California to see the original Disneyland, or go to
Paris for the one there).

DH says the only thing he will ever do in FL is to poop on it as he
flys over it in an airplane. ;P

-L.

Your DH is Triumph the Insult Comic Dog?

Theresa
Old March 26th 05, 01:22 PM
JBHajos

On 25 Mar 2005 23:11:39 -0800, "-L." wrote:

DH says the only thing he will ever do in FL is to poop on it as he
flys over it in an airplane. ;P

I loved the state and was very proud to be a Floridian. However,
by the time I moved away eleven years ago, I'd already dubbed it The
Lunatic State. Events over the past few years have only solidified
that perception. I haven't been back but I *do* miss the Florida that
was, the one I loved.

Jeanne