The birds were taunting Vino!

Old February 28th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
badwilson

Default The birds were taunting Vino!

I was sitting here at the computer this morning and the door to the back
yard was open. Suddenly we heard this loud bird squawking and it went
on and on and on. Looked outside and there were a couple of black and
white birds sitting on the fence (7 ft high) and Vino was crouched in
the grass staring at them.
Now, it had rained and also the reticulation had been on (why is it that
the retic always comes on on days that it rains?!?). So the grass was
very wet. But Vino obviously didn't care.
We continued watching out the open door and suddenly the birds began
dive-bombing Vino! Squawking the whole time. Vino leapt up after the
birds but they were always too fast. Vino chattered at them agitatedly
but they just laughed at him from the safety of the high fence.
This went on and on until finally the birds had enough of their little
game and moved on. Vino retreated to the lawnchair to lick his wet
undercarriage.
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old February 28th 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

badwilson wrote:
[...]

Hmmmm. Might not have been a game to the birds. I don't know about
Australia but even in late fall where I live some bird species still have
young hatchlings. It's possible they see Vino as a threat to a nearby nest.
Birds can be quite bright but not bright enough to know that Vino can't
easily get out of his enclosure to go after their young. And most birds do
recognize felines as a threat. I'm still not happy that poor Vino was
traumatized by them, though. Shades of Alfred Hitchcock

Jill

Old February 28th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 09:09:27 +0900, badwilson wrote:

[...]

That sounds like Magpies. I hate Magpies. FYI they go for the animal's
eyes, so don't encourage the cat to fight them. MLB

Old February 28th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"badwilson" wrote in message
[...]

Vino, your mommy and daddy are building you a new house. Then they will get
a kitten to help you kill the mean old birdies.

One of youse sits and watches them, and the other sneeks up and grabs them.

Molly and Jake.

Old February 28th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

badwilson wrote:

[...]

For a minute I thought you were going to say that Vino retreated to the
lawnchair to lick his wet *dignity*.

Poor Vino! He needs more accessible prey.

Joyce
Old February 28th 07, 06:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

badwilson wrote:
[...]

I've had crows and magpies taunting the cats when they're in the
enclosure. The cats seem quite happy to stalk the birds and the birds to
taunt the cats. There's netting between them, so no one gets hurt.

Pics at http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o185/frankiennikki/
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/
http://community.webshots.com/user/frankiennikki
Old February 28th 07, 06:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

sounds like mag pies they are very aggressive birds and attack anything
with in a 1000 feet of their nest

Old February 28th 07, 08:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
badwilson

I know Australian magpies and these birds were not them. They were only
about half the size and more white on them than black. Still, they were
very obviously taunting him and he was loving every minute of it.
Probably the closest to ever catching a bird that he will get in his
life!

Old February 28th 07, 08:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
badwilson

jmcquown wrote:
badwilson wrote:
[...]

I don't know about nests with young ones. Pretty sure there isn't one
in our yard. Vino has no enclosure, just the whole fully fenced back
yard. These black and white birds don't even usually come round here,
the normal ones are the ringneck parrots, bright green with a yellow
ring around their neck. They sit at the top of a very huge tree and
totally ignore Vino. These other birds came in and taunted him and left
and I never saw them before or since!

Old February 28th 07, 08:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
badwilson

wrote:
badwilson wrote:

[...]

Yes, poor Vino indeed. His lizard huntin' days are long over. The only
thing he has killed since leaving Thailand is a cricket and some flies.
He is very, very poorly off ;-)
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness
overflow.
Check out pictures of Vino at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/badwilson

I don't think the birds will be fooled ;-) wafflycat Cat anecdotes 6 October 12th 06 11:38 PM
My cat chirps at birds Adam Helberg Cat health & behaviour 24 September 17th 05 08:46 PM
BIRDS, BIRDS, BIRDS! Renee Darvin Cat anecdotes 16 April 20th 04 04:34 AM
Cats and Birds Brad Snow Cat anecdotes 7 November 23rd 03 09:41 PM
Cats and birds? jmcquown Cat anecdotes 16 October 15th 03 04:49 AM