Earthquake in LA!

Old July 31st 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Earthquake in LA!

"Kyla =^. .^=`" wrote in message
. ..

Yup. We're still waiting. Now they're saying some time in the next 30
years.

I prefer earthquakes to tornadoes. I just stay put until it stops, which
is usually in much less than a minute. By the time you have a chance to
get scared, it's all over. I hate the idea of hiding in a cellar. I'm
somewhat claustrophobic, and I'd be more afraid of being trapped than of
the tornado. I suspect most of us feel safest with what we're used to.

Joy

Washington State is 'supposed' to be due for a 'big one' too, bigger than
the 6.8 in 2000. That one scared the crap out of me. I'd rather have a
tornado, if given the choice, but living in a 'mobile home' there is no
place to hide.
Oh well, can't worry about something we have no control over.
We have 4 active but dormant volcanos here and I can see
one of them from my livingroom window.
Hugs
Kyla

Based on an experience of a friend of mine, I have a suggestion. Go outside
and walk all the way around your mobile home. Notice where the supports
are, and figure out what spots in what rooms they are under. Then, if you
start to feel a quake, get as far away as you can from any of those spots.
During the Northridge quake, my friend lived in a mobile home about five
miles from me. It was lifted up and slammed back down so hard one of the
supports broke through the floor, leaving the mobile home tilted. She had
to get out immediately. Later she was given a very short time to go inside
and get some of her possessions out. I think that's pretty unlikely to
happen to you, but I wouldn't want to take a chance.

Joy

Old August 1st 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Kyla =^. .^=` wrote:
[...]

Well, LA has earthquakes, but at least there are no active volcanoes in
the vicinity! (Of course, Mt. St. Helens wasn't exactly regarded as
"active" until the last time it erupted, either, was it?)
Old August 1st 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
message ...

Kyla =^. .^=` wrote:
[...]

It was. Lassen is also active. For that matter so is Shasta though
not very. I'm pretty sure more of the chain south of here is as well.

see
http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/...potential.html

and
http://www.nationalatlas.gov/dynamic/dyn_vol-coso.html

California is very much a part of the 'ring of fire'

Jo

Old August 2nd 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=`[_2_]

Kyla =^. .^=` wrote:
[...]

LA has the La Brea Tar Pits however, right?
Mt. St. Helens May 17, 1980. Wow, what an event that was.
A bright deadly Sunday morning.
Kyla

Old August 2nd 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=`[_2_]

"Joy"
"Kyla =^. .^=`"

[...]

I will do that, using my 4 wheeled walker.
Our mobile is so old, it would probably just collapse.
Thanks for your concern.
Hug
Kyla

Old August 3rd 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

Kyla =^. .^=` wrote:
[...]

Of course, the cheesy 1997 disaster movie _Volcano_ had the volcanic vent
open up directly beneath the La Brea Tar Pits.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old August 3rd 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Kyla =^. .^=` wrote:
[...]

Actually, I think that's a scientific impossibility. Tar is related to
petroleum, isn't it? Not to lava? (Petroleoum may produce "gushers",
but that's not quite the same as a volcanic explosion.)

Old August 3rd 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep ©

Kyla =^. .^=` wrote:
[...]

Yes, but it is hot tar, isn't it - kept hot by what? Volcanic vents
(similar to those deep underwater)?

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old August 3rd 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Jeanne wrote:
There has been a 5.8 earthquake in eastern Los Angeles. Early reports
are that it was centered in the Chino Hills area.

5.8 isn't a total disaster, but it's big enough to do some damage -
please check in, Californians!

Lots and lots of purrs,
Polonca and Soncek
Old August 3rd 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Kyla =^. .^=` wrote:
[...]

"Hot"? I don't think so - certainly not the tar one acquires on one's
bare feet at the beach. SFAIK, the animals weren't trapped because it
was hot, just because it was deep and very hard to get out of - like
quicksand.

Earthquake this morning! [email protected] Cat anecdotes 45 July 25th 07 08:58 PM
Baby earthquake [email protected] Cat anecdotes 6 August 4th 06 07:51 AM
Sumatra Earthquake! Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 1 July 6th 05 12:57 PM
Earthquake Bev Cat anecdotes 27 September 18th 04 11:32 PM
California Earthquake Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 8 December 23rd 03 10:16 AM