Run little mink, run!!!!

Old September 4th 03, 09:17 PM
CK

Tanada wrote:
CK wrote:

I'm a mutt too, mum's a bilingual Finn (Swedish-Finnish). Dad's
German-Russian, born in Finland, lived his youth in what now is Poland
(not far from Poznan actually, about 100km to the south, in a little
town called Rawicz), but back then was Germany, came back to Finland
away from the war and became a Finnish citizen at age 14, and he still
speaks Finnish like a foreigner... Me OTOH am a language nut, which I
probably have from my granddad. He was fluent in 7 languages - me only
in 4, but there's still time...

OK, that is just WRONG. I grew up hearing both English and German
(mostly curse words, but German), and can usually get the gist of a lot
of different languages when I read/hear them being spoken slowly. But I
can't speak any of them. Rob is the opposite, he lived in Germany from
18 mos to 5 years old and spoke German fluently, having been in a
Kindergarten. He can't remember any of it, but he can make himself
understood and interpret Hungul (Korean), German, Spanish (Honduras),
Arabic, and whatever else. He's just good at it. It makes me so
frustrated.

Well then Rob is like me, languages stick to us. But then again I'm
totally useless in higher mathematics - never could grasp the
logarithms, tangents and what have you's... nope, languages are my
thing. And after all, I *did* go to the German school from kindergarden
till graduation, which explains my German, apart from it being in my
blood. And I also *did* work for 4 years at the Canadian Embassy in
Helsinki, which had a very beneficial effect on my English and partly my
French too (which is *not* fluent!).

Christine in Vantaa, Finland (Europe)
Email: christal63(at)yahoo(dot)com
Photos: http://photos.yahoo.com/christal63