Persia hates Tuna

Old September 1st 03, 07:02 AM
Jill McQuown

Default Persia hates Tuna

What's wrong with her? I thought all cats were supposed to love tuna? I
got her tuna packed in water and put a little in her dish. She sniffed and
turned her nose up at it and walked away!

Can't say I blame her; I don't care for canned tuna , either.

Jill

Old September 1st 03, 08:56 AM
Jo Firey

We buy raw tuna, the stuff intended for sushi for our cats. That they will eat. And
the large cocktail shrimp.

--
Jo Firey

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take
our breath away."

Old September 1st 03, 01:17 PM
Jill McQuown

JHBennett wrote:
Hmmmm.... Sounds like she might have seen your store receipt for it
and decided it wasn't expensive enough. I've had similar
experiences with both cats and dogs. As the cats involved were
ferals, I can only surmise it must be something genetic in their
makeup. As a test, to determine whether her aversion is to sea food
in general, or the rejection is based on cost, give scallops or
lobster a try. If she accepts these offerings, you may safely
conclude her aversion is price based and adjust her diet accordingly
;-) Cheers,
Jack

(laughing) She eats cod, sole and other fish just fine. She simply doesn't
like tuna!

Jill

Old September 1st 03, 05:17 PM
JHBennett

Did you take note of how Jo Fiery's little darlings are forced to suffer?
Define *spoiled rotten* and give one example;-)
BTW, told you it was cost based bias.
Cheers,
Jack

Old September 1st 03, 05:21 PM
JHBennett

Jo, do you place the tender morsels on their little tongues for them, or are
they forced to endure the humiliation--gawd forbid--of actually picking it
up themselves????;-)))))
Jack

Old September 1st 03, 08:39 PM
Cheryl

"Jill McQuown" wrote in message
What's wrong with her? I thought all cats were supposed to love

tuna? I
got her tuna packed in water and put a little in her dish. She

sniffed and
turned her nose up at it and walked away!

Can't say I blame her; I don't care for canned tuna , either.

I just discovered that Shamrocks allergy may be to tuna (or just fish)
and have stopped giving it. It's just as well that she doesn't like
it. It isn't good for them anyway.

Old September 1st 03, 08:47 PM
JHBennett

Jo, I can't believe you fell for the old *my tongue doesn't work right*
gag.... the oldest trick im the book! Actually, if he had an injury to his
tongue there could be more to the explaination than you'd think. Believe it
or not, cats actually lap up liquids with the underside of their tongue, not
the top surface. The tongue is sort of dished out on the back side and they
kind of plunge/scoop the tongue into a liquid, then haul&flip it into their
mouths a bit backhanded. You need to watch a slow motion picture of it to
actually see what they're doing, which certainly flies in the face of
conventional wisdom.
As for Charlie, I can't be too critical of what he's doing for your
pampered critters. After all, he isn't going quite as far with it as I
would, in the same situation. Me? I'd get some sauce and eat those
cocktail shrimp for them as well.
Yes, do the pictures;-)
Cheers,
Jack

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
This all started when Jake was injured. His tongue doesn't work quite

right. He can
eat and drink water, but prefers to pick up bites of food rather than

lapping it up.
Jake would never eat people food or canned cat food. Charlie started the

shrimp
while Jake was recovering from surgery on his tongue. And minced it fine

and hand
fed it to him. He still minces it, and helps him gather up the last few

bites. My
daughter works at a Japanese restaurant and bar and brings me raw tuna

sushi
sometimes when it is especially good. Didn't take Jake long to figure

that out. Now
his daddy buys tuna and keeps it in the freezer for him.

He gets a one ounce treat every night as a reward for coming home for the

night. Of
course Rosie gets her share too. I'll have to get pictures of Charlie

dicing shrimp
with the cats climbing all over him to show you guys what spoiled really

is.

Old September 1st 03, 11:44 PM
Jo Firey

"JHBennett" wrote in message
Jo, I can't believe you fell for the old *my tongue doesn't work right*
gag.... the oldest trick im the book! Actually, if he had an injury to his
tongue there could be more to the explaination than you'd think.

Trust me, we know way more than we ever wanted to about how a cats tongue is supposed
to work. 1/3 of Jakes was almost torn off. The surgery was a touch and go thing as
if it didn't work he could not survive. The vet was extremely supportive and
concerned as Jake was otherwise a young and very healthy cat. We don't know if it
was injured in a fight or if he hurt it trying to escape from somewhere, but his chin
was cut pretty bad too.

He will only drink from a dripping faucet or from a full glass. And he gets his chin
wet when he drinks. Luckily he can and still does keep himself clean.

Jo

Old September 2nd 03, 12:36 AM
JHBennett

Poor kid. And no wonder he rates such special treatment. For some reason I
don't understand, tongue surgery seems very tricky. The father of a good
friend had part of his removed many years ago and, at that time, the family
was advised only around 20% of the people survived.
You know, that injury Jake suffered sounds like something which could
have resulted from a weed trimmer and perhaps maliciously.
Anyway, best to Jake and carry on.
Cheers,
Jack

Old September 2nd 03, 01:02 PM
JBHajos

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 01:02:48 -0500, "Jill McQuown"
wrote:

What's wrong with her? I thought all cats were supposed to love tuna?

Hobo and Speckles like tuna very much. Except it HAS to be Chicken
of the Sea. Forget Bumble Bee, StarKist, or any other brand!!

Jeanne