Questions....

Old September 5th 03, 04:21 AM
Angela Ryan

Default Questions....

There might be some obvious questions here, but...oh well..

What is it that cats are doing when they "knead" objects? Is there a purpose
to this?

Is it true that cats can see in black and white only? If this is true, how
can Gizmo get so much entertainment out of the red laser pointer?

Does the slit in the cats eye have anything to do with their peripheral
vision? I read somewhere that it is the most effeicient type of eye to have
as it can close/open tighter/wider than a humans (round), and since cats
have sensitive eyes (as they can see so well at night time) this is what
they need.....my other half seems to think that it also helps with
peripheral vision

Also, an obsrevation question..

Does anybody elses cat/s clean furniture? Gizmo, after cleaning herself will
often give the couch/chair she is sitting on a good lick...

Food for though

Angela and Gizmo

Old September 5th 03, 01:52 PM
Jette Goldie

"Marina" wrote in message

"Angela Ryan" wrote
There might be some obvious questions here, but...oh well..

What is it that cats are doing when they "knead" objects? Is there a

purpose
to this?

It is probably just a memory from when they were kittens and kneaded their
mother to get milk. They usually do it when they're very content, probably
dreaming themselves back to kittenhood. ;o)

Is it true that cats can see in black and white only? If this is true,

how
can Gizmo get so much entertainment out of the red laser pointer?

I've heard several theories, one is that they can see colours on the scale
from blue to yellow, but not red. OTOH, I've heard about remarkably many
cats who are interested in the colour red, so I don't know.

Apache can definately see purple. Her favourite brand of
cat treat comes in a purple box/bag. So does a brand of
human candy. One she likes, the other she doesn't - but
if you have a box of the human candy (purple box, same
size as cat treats, makes rattling noise same as cat
treats) she'll come running to investigate. Even if the box/bag
is a different size from what she's used to, but the same shade
of purple, she's interested (till she finds it doesn't contain what
she'd hoped)

--
Jette
"Work for Peace and remain Fiercely Loving" - Jim Byrnes

http://www.jette.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/