Cat surivives 4 weeks in frig

Old December 5th 05, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Cat surivives 4 weeks in frig

http://www.local6.com/news/5468399/detail.html

Old December 5th 05, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Tyce Honer, 4, said he forgot he had put Louis the 10-pound cat in a
refrigerator in the family's barn to keep it safe.

???????????

Old December 5th 05, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"NMR" wrote in message
http://www.local6.com/news/5468399/detail.html
]]

Thank God the cat survived. Poor kitty!

The kid who did this was only 4 years old. I have a feeling that he won't
truly understand how big of a mistake this was until he's a few years
older.

I think the best the parents can do at this point is to impress on him to
always let THEM make decisions about how to keep cats safe. And never,
ever to put anything but food into refrigerators, ovens, etc.

Whew. Chalk up one more for the "avoid letting small kids interact with
animals unsupervised" theory. It might not be possible to prevent 100% of
the time, but if an adult is present as often as possible when small kids
are with pets, that's definitely best.

Donna, Captain, and Stanley

Old December 5th 05, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen wrote:
Tyce Honer, 4, said he forgot he had put Louis the 10-pound cat in a
refrigerator in the family's barn to keep it safe.

???????????

Safe from WHAT?!

This child bears close watching. Maybe it's nothing more than innocent
misunderstanding... but at age 4 I sure wouldn't have thought about keeping
a pet "safe" from anything by shutting it in a refrigerator.

Jill

Old December 6th 05, 02:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

This child bears close watching. Maybe it's nothing more than innocent
misunderstanding... but at age 4 I sure wouldn't have thought about keeping
a pet "safe" from anything by shutting it in a refrigerator.

Agreed. I grew up on a farm and I knew much, much better than to put
the cats into anything they couldn't get out of. I always checked the
grainery for cats if I was playing in there because I knew cats needed
water and there was none in the grainary, so when I shut the door I
made sure the cats were all out. Otherwise I left the door open and
would come back and shut it later.

--Fil
glad the kitty survived

Old December 6th 05, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Tyce Honer, 4, said he forgot he had put Louis the 10-pound cat in a
refrigerator in the family's barn to keep it safe.

I must add, why do they have a dead fridge in their barn anyway? You'd
more expect the KID to shut HIMSELF inside the fridge.

If the fridge is working and they're using it to store stuff, surely
they'd be going into it more than once a month...

and if they're NOT, it should be disposed of so stuff like this can't
happen.

My dad always kept our farm really clean (no dead cars, rusting
equpiment hulks, throwaway fridges, etc) but he knew the neighbours
didn't and I was told at a very young age to NEVER climb into discarded
freezers/fridges (or working ones).

--Fil

Old December 6th 05, 03:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Mon 05 Dec 2005 09:59:48p, Enfilade wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
roups.com):

I must add, why do they have a dead fridge in their barn anyway?
You'd more expect the KID to shut HIMSELF inside the fridge.

I think the parents need to keep a closer eye on things. I don't
blame the child. How come they allow a 4 year old unsupervised in the
barn?

--
Cheryl
Old December 6th 05, 04:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Cheryl wrote:

I must add, why do they have a dead fridge in their barn anyway?
You'd more expect the KID to shut HIMSELF inside the fridge.

I think the parents need to keep a closer eye on things. I don't
blame the child. How come they allow a 4 year old unsupervised in
the barn?

I agree! I hope this incident woke them up to the fact that they're
not paying enough attention.

Joyce
Old December 6th 05, 05:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Enfilade wrote:
Tyce Honer, 4, said he forgot he had put Louis the 10-pound cat in a
refrigerator in the family's barn to keep it safe.

I must add, why do they have a dead fridge in their barn anyway?
You'd more expect the KID to shut HIMSELF inside the fridge.

If the fridge is working and they're using it to store stuff, surely
they'd be going into it more than once a month...

The door should be removed... how many times in the last 40-50 years have we
heard don't just take old refrigerators to a dump where kids might think
they are fun to play in?! Umpteen million times. Kids used to get locked
in refrigerators and freezers. But this child PUT a cat in the
refrigerator. Cats don't have opposable thumbs. As smart as we'd like to
think they are, they can't open a refrigerator from the inside.

Something is wrong here. Really wrong. The more I think about it, the more
upset I get.