Cat surivives 4 weeks in frig

Old December 6th 05, 02:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Cat surivives 4 weeks in frig

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Enfilade wrote:
Tyce Honer, 4, said he forgot he had put Louis the 10-pound cat in a
refrigerator in the family's barn to keep it safe.

I must add, why do they have a dead fridge in their barn anyway?
You'd more expect the KID to shut HIMSELF inside the fridge.

If the fridge is working and they're using it to store stuff, surely
they'd be going into it more than once a month...

The door should be removed... how many times in the last 40-50 years have

we
heard don't just take old refrigerators to a dump where kids might think
they are fun to play in?! Umpteen million times. Kids used to get locked
in refrigerators and freezers. But this child PUT a cat in the
refrigerator. Cats don't have opposable thumbs. As smart as we'd like to
think they are, they can't open a refrigerator from the inside.

Something is wrong here. Really wrong. The more I think about it, the

more
upset I get.

and if they're NOT, it should be disposed of so stuff like this can't
happen.

My dad always kept our farm really clean (no dead cars, rusting
equpiment hulks, throwaway fridges, etc) but he knew the neighbours
didn't and I was told at a very young age to NEVER climb into
discarded freezers/fridges (or working ones).

--Fil

Well, first off I'd be missing the cat after a few hours and then start
questioning the child. It seems they don't take much responsibility for
*any* of the creatures under their care!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 6th 05, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Enfilade wrote:
[...]

I would have to agree with CatNipped on this one.

kili

Old December 6th 05, 03:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"kilikini" wrote in message
.. .

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Enfilade wrote:
Tyce Honer, 4, said he forgot he had put Louis the 10-pound cat in
refrigerator in the family's barn to keep it safe.

Well, first off I'd be missing the cat after a few hours and then start
questioning the child. It seems they don't take much responsibility for
*any* of the creatures under their care!

Hugs,

CatNipped

I would have to agree with CatNipped on this one.

kili

Well, it's not the child's fault. What four year old even knows what
responsiblity is? They're still in a very "SELF" revolving stage.

While I do agree that this event would be subject of a good talk with the
four year old about why you should never play around things like this, and
never ever shut animals away... the one who didn't show responsibility is
the adult for allowing a four year old to play with an animal unintended.

*shrugs* It's just me but I can't comprehend 4yr old and responsibility in
the same sentence when I know beyond the very basics such as picking up toys
and maybe setting the table etc (very routine daily things) the child has
zero capability because they have not adapted mentally to possess the
recognition or cognizence (spelling) of this trait in unfamiliar situations.

Kind of unfair to lay that much on such a young child.

Grace

Old December 6th 05, 04:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Gracecat" wrote in message

"kilikini" wrote in message
.. .

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Enfilade wrote:
[...]

Maybe I said it wrong, but that's exactly what I meant - the parents should
have looked for the cat the same day it went missing and in that search
should have questioned the child about the cat's whereabouts. But before
even that, as you said, the child should not have been playing,
unsupervised, in the barn with the cat!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 6th 05, 05:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Animal and child services should get involved here
Some serious counseling needs to occurs for the family.
I can understand not worrying about a cat ( unless it was a inside cat that
got out or was always inside ) on the farm for about 24 hours unless heavy
equipment had been running
but the next day there has been some searching. If you lived on a farm you
would understand about that.
Here there is a law about old frigs you must have the frig sealed or the
door removed when being dumped.

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Gracecat" wrote in message

"kilikini" wrote in message
.. .

Old December 6th 05, 05:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Outside of what I consider animal abuse on the part of the parents I
have to wonder why in the world they have an apparent empty refrigerator
that a 4 year old could climb into! I think DFCS and animal rescue needs
to be investigating this situation.

Julie

Old December 6th 05, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Julie Cook" wrote in message
Outside of what I consider animal abuse on the part of the parents I have
to wonder why in the world they have an apparent empty refrigerator that a
4 year old could climb into! I think DFCS and animal rescue needs to be
investigating this situation.

Julie

There used to be a real push to educate people on the dangers of abandoned
refrigerators. A child could suffocate in one in a matter of hours.

Jo

Old December 7th 05, 12:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Cheryl Perkins wrote:
Jo Firey wrote:

"Julie Cook" wrote in message
Outside of what I consider animal abuse on the part of the parents
I have to wonder why in the world they have an apparent empty
refrigerator that a 4 year old could climb into! I think DFCS and
animal rescue needs to be investigating this situation.

Julie

There used to be a real push to educate people on the dangers of
abandoned refrigerators. A child could suffocate in one in a
matter of hours.

Jo

I thought that became less urgent when the manufacturers stopped
putting latches on their refrigerators. A child (but not a cat, of
course) could easily push open a modern fridge from the inside, but
couldn't open the
old ones with their latches.

All I know is all my life I've heard if you have an old, unused
refrigerator, remove the door. I don't ever remember seeing a fridge with a
latch on it.

Jill

Old December 7th 05, 03:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Cheryl Perkins wrote:
Jo Firey wrote:

"Julie Cook" wrote in message
[...]

You are about ten years too young. We never had one, but I have seen them
at relatives, etc.

Jo

Old December 7th 05, 03:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 18:44:06 -0600, "jmcquown"
wrote:

Cheryl Perkins wrote:
Jo Firey wrote:

"Julie Cook" wrote in message
[...]

My parents had a refrigerator with a latch, which they had bought
second-hand in the early 1950s, so it possibly dated back to the late
1940s (probably not earlier than that, based on its appearance). It
had a lever-action handle about 9 inches high, and, even with the
leverage, you had to pull hard. The handle broke off around 1980, and
my father drilled into the handle stub to attach a new handle. He
finally discarded it after the compressor broke down around 1990,
having given four decades of service.

That machine had a strong-enough latch that even an adult would have
had difficulty forcing the door open from inside, unless you had some
sort of crowbar available.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from