kittens w/ major flea prob

Old August 12th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ensoul

Default kittens w/ major flea prob

they're not mine, my boys are a yea and half old.....my friend Penny
has 4 cats, one just had litter, we think they're 4 weeks old, all the
cats are infested (none of cats are out door cats)....can you kittens a
flea bath? I know she's going to have treat the whole house & the
other kittens...any natural soultion that can be used? She says
kittens can be killed by fleas, The kittens are totally infested. If
mom cat is given something for the fleas would it harm the kittens.

I never had a kitten in life, I always get one a year or older so I
don't any experience with, plus my cats are indoor ones, no fleas
there, It;s to the point they're biting ppl. I'm staying away, don't
want to bring home.

any advice is much appreciated

lynn

Old August 12th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

NO FLEA BATHS that can lead to serious poisoning of the young ones I
believe advantage is safe for kittens not positive need to ask the vet

Your friend needs to buy a flea comb clean the kittens get rid of the
bedding they are sleeping on

My advice take the furballs to the vets let them clean them up give them a
good check out. Let the vet keep them over night possibly 2 days and
then bomb the hell out of the house clean everything move anything off
the floor where they can hid wash anything on the floor. Than one ce the
fleas are gone than bring them back in

If your friend has a screen porch, screen door or leaves the windows open
with screens and has a yard a good investment in having the yard treated
for fleas

ups.com...

Old August 12th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

She could ask her vet about Capstar. I had a foster last summer who was
around 4 weeks old and in horrible shape when he was dropped off at the vets
office. The vet treated him with Capstar before they sent him home with me.
He was fleas head to toe so they had to do something.

ups.com...

Old August 12th 06, 08:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

ensoul wrote:
they're not mine, my boys are a yea and half old.....my friend Penny
has 4 cats, one just had litter, we think they're 4 weeks old, all the
cats are infested (none of cats are out door cats)....can you kittens a
flea bath?

Don't. You can put ONE drop of Advantage on them. It can be used
safely in kittens as young as 4 days old.

-L.

Old August 12th 06, 08:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Wendy wrote:
She could ask her vet about Capstar.

Advantage is *far* more safe than Capstar and it works over time,
whereas Capstar will only kill fleas imediately.

-L.

Old August 12th 06, 11:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Wendy wrote:
She could ask her vet about Capstar.

Advantage is *far* more safe than Capstar and it works over time,
whereas Capstar will only kill fleas imediately.

-L.

Capstar can be used on a kitten as young as 4 weeks old. I thought Advantage
was 8 weeks. Notice I said to ask their vet about it. If the vet thinks it's
not safe then I guess they won't end up using it. I would imagine the
severity of the infestation would dictate whether it's worth taking the risk
of using any thing on kittens this young.

Old August 12th 06, 11:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

ensoul wrote:
they're not mine, my boys are a yea and half old.....my friend Penny
has 4 cats, one just had litter, we think they're 4 weeks old, all the
cats are infested (none of cats are out door cats)....can you kittens a
flea bath?

Don't. You can put ONE drop of Advantage on them. It can be used
safely in kittens as young as 4 days old.

-L.

Information about AdvantageŽ
AdvantageŽ flea control works fast to kill fleas on dogs and cats.
AdvantageŽ kills 98% of fleas within 12 hours and continues to work for up
to one month per application. Because it works so fast, AdvantageŽ provides
relief from fleas within minutes. AdvantageŽ also breaks the flea life cycle
by killing flea larvae in your pets' surroundings.

AdvantageŽ can be used on puppies 7 weeks and older, and kittens 8 weeks and
older. It is safe for use on pregnant and lactating animals. AdvantageŽ is
water-resistant, so it kills fleas even after shampooing, swimming or
exposure to rain.

Old August 17th 06, 08:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Wendy wrote:
"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Wendy wrote:
She could ask her vet about Capstar.

Advantage is *far* more safe than Capstar and it works over time,
whereas Capstar will only kill fleas imediately.

-L.

Capstar can be used on a kitten as young as 4 weeks old. I thought Advantage
was 8 weeks. Notice I said to ask their vet about it. If the vet thinks it's
not safe then I guess they won't end up using it. I would imagine the
severity of the infestation would dictate whether it's worth taking the risk
of using any thing on kittens this young.

It's an off-label use, one I have used since 2000, and is safe for
kittens as young as 4 days old. Trust me. No vet will tell you
it's ok because it's an off-label use, just as no vet will tell you to
buy the "large dog" size advantage, split it into individual doses and
treat your cats, to save money.

-L.

Old August 17th 06, 08:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Wendy wrote:

Information about AdvantageŽ
AdvantageŽ flea control works fast to kill fleas on dogs and cats.
AdvantageŽ kills 98% of fleas within 12 hours and continues to work for up
to one month per application. Because it works so fast, AdvantageŽ provides
relief from fleas within minutes. AdvantageŽ also breaks the flea life cycle
by killing flea larvae in your pets' surroundings.

AdvantageŽ can be used on puppies 7 weeks and older, and kittens 8 weeks and
older. It is safe for use on pregnant and lactating animals. AdvantageŽ is
water-resistant, so it kills fleas even after shampooing, swimming or
exposure to rain.

Again, it is an off-label use, and is safe on kittens as young as 4
days old - I have done so numerous times. I was a vet tech and I have
worked for the Humane Society and in rescue for over 18-some years.
Advantage is safe to use on *very* young kittens.

-L.

Old August 17th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

Wendy wrote:

[...]

L is tight we have put it on Ka' Shay when she was 4 weeks old My vet
is our best friend he does it young kittens also. I trust him completely