Kitty under the blankets

Old January 19th 07, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

Default Kitty under the blankets

On cold nights, Cinders will often spend at least part of the night
curled up under the blankets. Sometimes she will be under all of
them, and other times she will get under just the topmost blanket.
This isn't a case of hunting bedmice, but rather seeking out warmth.
She is the first cat that I have had who did this, although I have had
others that liked to sleep on top of the blankets. Does anyone else
have a cat who likes to sleep under the covers in the wintertime?

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old January 19th 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Not now, but Tawny (RB) did. He would wake me up during the night by
turning his head back and forth to tickle my nose with his whiskers so I'd
lift the covers and he could crawl under.

--
Joy

"If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an
empty desk? -- Jay Brand, cognitive psychologist

Old January 19th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral

John F. Eldredge wrote:
On cold nights, Cinders will often spend at least part of the night
curled up under the blankets. Sometimes she will be under all of
them, and other times she will get under just the topmost blanket.
This isn't a case of hunting bedmice, but rather seeking out warmth.
She is the first cat that I have had who did this, although I have had
others that liked to sleep on top of the blankets. Does anyone else
have a cat who likes to sleep under the covers in the wintertime?

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
http://pgp.mit.edu

Yup, I got a pair of burrowers. =o) In the recent cold snap, Francesca
has taken to asking to get UNDER the covers next to me in bed. Nina
does it all the time, although Francesca usually just takes a brief
bask to get warm and then creeps back out. Nina has sometimes spent the
whole night down by my feet under the covers. Nina will also burrow
under the quilt and make a little hill in the center of the bed to
have a nice warm nap nest even after I'm up and about in the morning.
Or when there's somebody at the door she wants to avoid, or when I'm
running the vacuum cleaner. It's pretty funny. =o) Pan (RB) also used
to get under the covers and lie on top of me in his later yeears. I'd
stroke him and he'd lie on top of me and purr his head off. Sometimes,
I'm convinced that cat thought he was my husband.

Melissa

Old January 19th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sam

John F. Eldredge wrote:
On cold nights, Cinders will often spend at least part of the night
curled up under the blankets. Sometimes she will be under all of
them, and other times she will get under just the topmost blanket.
This isn't a case of hunting bedmice, but rather seeking out warmth.
She is the first cat that I have had who did this, although I have had
others that liked to sleep on top of the blankets. Does anyone else
have a cat who likes to sleep under the covers in the wintertime?

Oh, boy, do we ever! And it doesn't even have to be cold.

Smokey is our resident bed-lump. At least once every day he gets under
the top cover and proceeds to nap. He really should be flatter, he's
been sat upon so many times. DW and I sit on the edge of the bed to put
our shoes on. Often we'll hear a muffled "meo-w-w-w-w" and feel him
moving underneath. Oddly enough, when we get up to check on him, he
usually doesn't move - just stays there and goes back to his
rudely-interrupted snooze.

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old January 19th 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On 2007-01-18 21:37:20 -0500, John F. Eldredge said:

On cold nights, Cinders will often spend at least part of the night
curled up under the blankets. Sometimes she will be under all of
them, and other times she will get under just the topmost blanket.
This isn't a case of hunting bedmice, but rather seeking out warmth.
She is the first cat that I have had who did this, although I have had
others that liked to sleep on top of the blankets. Does anyone else
have a cat who likes to sleep under the covers in the wintertime?

One of my neighbors has a cat whom I've never seen: he's always under
the bed clothes when I'm there. (It's a studio apartment...) All I've
ever seen of him is a lump.

--
Joey DoWop Dee

Remember: It is To Laugh.

Old January 19th 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message
On cold nights, Cinders will often spend at least part of the night
curled up under the blankets. Sometimes she will be under all of
them, and other times she will get under just the topmost blanket.
This isn't a case of hunting bedmice, but rather seeking out warmth.
She is the first cat that I have had who did this, although I have had
others that liked to sleep on top of the blankets. Does anyone else
have a cat who likes to sleep under the covers in the wintertime?

We used to. But then again at the time we lived in Alaska, and ice formed
on the inside of the bedroom walls from the moisture in our breath.

Jo

Old January 19th 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

John F. Eldredge wrote:
On cold nights, Cinders will often spend at least part of the night
curled up under the blankets. Sometimes she will be under all of
them, and other times she will get under just the topmost blanket.
This isn't a case of hunting bedmice, but rather seeking out warmth.
She is the first cat that I have had who did this, although I have had
others that liked to sleep on top of the blankets. Does anyone else
have a cat who likes to sleep under the covers in the wintertime?

Both Mir and Cal like to snuggle under the blankets with me. Sometimes
they are both there, snuggled up to each other and me. It can get a bit
hot.

Old January 19th 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Ketzl's Dad wrote:

One of my neighbors has a cat whom I've never seen: he's always under
the bed clothes when I'm there. (It's a studio apartment...) All I've
ever seen of him is a lump.

LOL. That's Miranda. Any time anyone comes to visit, Miranda becomes an
under-cover cat. Sometimes, if she knows the person, she will come out
after a while, but if it's a complete stranger, she will most likely
stay there until they have left.

Old January 19th 07, 05:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief

Heh, Mayhem is the burrower, but it's not always to get warm. Normally
it's in the morning when she tries to get attention by rubbing, licking
or nipping my hand. Usually I'll ignore her until she starts nipping
then i'll move my hand under the covers. Then Mayhem will crawl on my
chest and stick her whiskers in my face.

Then it occured to her, the HANDS are uncer the covers. Aha! So she
started burrowing UNDER the covers until she would find my hand, then
proceed to rub, lick and nip until i started petting her.

persistent little bugger

Kristi

Old January 19th 07, 06:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Marina wrote:

Both Mir and Cal like to snuggle under the blankets with me. Sometimes
they are both there, snuggled up to each other and me. It can get a bit
hot.

But it sounds very sweet! Smudge sometimes sleeps under the covers,
and so does Roxy, but they don't do it very often.

Joyce