Poor Hobbes has a pain in the butt

Old March 23rd 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

Default Poor Hobbes has a pain in the butt

We were outside last night until about 11 p.m. and when we finished
what we were doing and went into the house we found blood - 3"
diameter circle of blood in the living room and a second slightly
smaller circle of blood in the bedroom and of course spots of blood in
various places in between.

DH's first response was "what did you feed them that was red?
ME: No dear, that's blood, someone is in trouble
DH: I think someone has just thrown up, it looks more like vomit.
ME: Well if they've thrown that up then we're in even bigger trouble
because that's blood.

We started examining cats, who had all come to meet us when we walked
in the house and no one appeared hurt or sick. We turned Hobbes onto
his side and his entire bottom, under his tail was soaked in blood.

Fast-forward past the panicked change of clothes, stuff cat in carrier
and speed to emergency vet.

Hobbes has a ruptured abscess of the anal gland. He has a horrific
looking hole just to the left of his rectum. The emergency vet
flushed it out, examined him and gave him antibiotic and pain meds and
recommended we follow up with our regular vet rather than having the
expense of their sedating him and examining him further.

We went home this morning about 2 a.m. and at 8 a.m. we were at our
regular vet. Except to flush it out and keep it clean there isn't a
lot the vet can do at this time. Our concern is that Hobbes' diabetes
has flared and that this necrotizing wound is a result of that. As
with all diabetics we have to be concerned with the healing process
and making sure the wound doesn't get worse. His blood glucose at 1
a.m. was 341 and this morning at 8:00 was 325 so we're going to wait
on the fructosamide results before we start giving him insulin again
since he's under stress that the BGC could reflect that. For the
moment he's isolated in the small room of the house so he can rest
without the others bothering him (and this keeps any seeping blood out
of my beige carpets, although the damage has already been done). He's
on Clavomax and I'm to give apply warm compresses to the wound on a
regular basis. We'll go back on Monday and then every two or three
days after that to make sure he is healing properly.

I'm sure he would appreciate any purrs that might be sent his way. He
says that after this experience Sam is not the worst pain in the butt
he's ever encountered.

Julie and Hobbes

Old March 23rd 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On 23 Mar 2007 08:49:59 -0700, "GaDragonfly"
yodeled:

[...]

Poor Hobbes and poor you! That's quite a bit more than just a pain in
the butt! We're sending him plenty of purrs and trying to figure out
how you can clean your carpet.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old March 23rd 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

On Mar 23, 11:54 am, Kreisleriana wrote:
[...]

Stinky Pictures:http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Make Levees, Not War

Thank you, Hobbes and I both appreciate the purrs. It has been
suggested to use hydrogen peroxide on the blood stains. DH stayed
home (he has to be at work at 6 am so I left him home to rest) and he
was able to get most of the blood off the rug in the living room but
the stains in the beige carpet in the bedroom can still be seen.

Julie and Hobbes

Old March 23rd 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CDC

Hugs and purrs and scritches to Hobbes from Snoopy, Target & Moxley
- Cindy

--
CDC

If you're going through hell, keep going
- Winston Churchill
ups.com...

Old March 23rd 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley via CatKB.com

GaDragonfly wrote:

I'm sure he would appreciate any purrs that might be sent his way. He
says that after this experience Sam is not the worst pain in the butt
he's ever encountered.

OUCH!!! Purrs for poor Hobbes to feel better soon

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old March 23rd 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dopekitty

On Mar 23, 12:49 pm, "GaDragonfly" wrote:
[...]

OMG, purrs and hugs coming your way. Hope Hobbes gets better quick.

Kristy

Old March 23rd 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lorraine

On 23 Mar 2007 08:49:59 -0700, "GaDragonfly"
wrote:
snipped
We started examining cats, who had all come to meet us when we walked
in the house and no one appeared hurt or sick. We turned Hobbes onto
his side and his entire bottom, under his tail was soaked in blood.

Fast-forward past the panicked change of clothes, stuff cat in carrier
and speed to emergency vet.

snipped more

I would have freaked big time! I can imagine how that went. I'll get
all four furbabies working on their best healing purrs for Hobbes.

I've used peroxide before for blood, and it worked, but I once left it
on too long or something, and also faded the fabric pretty badly. Just
something to keep in mind....

L.

Old March 23rd 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

On Mar 23, 1:30 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
GaDragonfly wrote:

I'm sure he would appreciate any purrs that might be sent his way. He
says that after this experience Sam is not the worst pain in the butt
he's ever encountered.

Julie and Hobbes

Major purrs on the way!
Jill

Thank you everyone! Y'all are going to make me cry. I'm already sleep
deprived which makes me weepy and just getting your purrs makes me
feel so lucky to have you all as friends. Hugs and purrs back to you
all!
Julie

Old March 23rd 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 08:49:59 -0700, GaDragonfly wrote:

Fast-forward past the panicked change of clothes, stuff cat in carrier and
speed to emergency vet.

Hobbes has a ruptured abscess of the anal gland. He has a horrific
looking hole just to the left of his rectum. The emergency vet flushed it
out,

Purring that Hobbes heals completely and quickly. MLB

Sneaky, Snarky, Pain in the Butt.... Smokie Darling (Annie) Cat anecdotes 17 October 23rd 06 08:06 AM
Hobbes Update Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 8 January 8th 06 10:37 PM
Dan, Hobbes and everybody else [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 June 23rd 05 07:34 AM
How to know if cat is in pain Nightstar Cat health & behaviour 16 July 10th 04 04:57 AM
how to tell if cat is in pain? Jerenz Cat health & behaviour 10 June 3rd 04 08:40 PM