RIP Grandcat

Old May 5th 09, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
BfloPolska

Default RIP Grandcat

On May 3, 2:04*am, Sherry wrote:
Orion had to be PTS. About a year and a half ago he was diagnosed with
vaccination-associated sarcoma cancer. He received chemo, which slowed
down the progression but unfortunately it continued to spread. The
last year he seemed largely unaffected (except for the appearance of a
large lump on his shoulder), and
continued to have a good quality of life. Unfortunately, he recently
had begun hiding, a sure sign when a cat is
not feeling well; then the tumor burst through the skin. It was time.

He was twelve years old, a tabby Maine Coon; with a personality true
to the "gentle giant" breed. He was a one-owner cat for sure, and that
owner is just heartbroken. It seems like yesterday he was a funny-
looking little
kitten that I never thought would grow into the size of his ears. *I
already miss him.

Sherry

I am so sorry to hear about dear Orion. I love the name, that mythic
giant...your dear one must have been a huge, beautiful fellow. Purrs
for his gentle crossing and his welcome into the place beynd the
Bridge; and for you and your healing at this time.

Blessed be,
Baha
Old May 5th 09, 04:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On May 3, 8:10*am, Takayuki wrote:
wrote:
I'm so sorry, for you and for his sad human. I can just picture Orion -
he sounds like he was a great cat.

Yes, you can picture Orion - this picture will be familiar to you:

http://home.comcast.net/~Takayuki9z/jamieorion2.jpg

And with Ernie (faceplant) and Roscoe (snout):

http://home.comcast.net/~Takayuki9z/jamieorion3.jpg

Thanks everyone; I am sorry to have not replied but our ISP is wacked
out
from the storms the last few days. I am just now reading this thread.
And thank you Tak; I was wishing I could post a picture link, but the
ftp site
I had all his pics on has been shut down.
Baha, I always liked the name too; it seemed so majestic. His full
name was
Darkstar's Orion. Or the other way around, I forget. But he was an
awesome
cat.
Sherry
Old May 5th 09, 06:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

BfloPolska wrote:

He was twelve years old, a tabby Maine Coon; with a personality true
to the "gentle giant" breed. He was a one-owner cat for sure, and that
owner is just heartbroken. It seems like yesterday he was a funny-
looking little
kitten that I never thought would grow into the size of his ears. ?I
already miss him.

Sherry

I am so sorry to hear about dear Orion. I love the name, that mythic
giant...

And it always makes me think of that orange and white beauty from "Men
in Black":

http://home.sonic.net/~jwermont/misc/animals/orion.jpg

--
Joyce ^..^

Old May 5th 09, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Sherry" wrote in message
[...]

I'm so sorry Sherry. Please convey our condolences and sympathy to all of
Orion's friends and family. Maine Coons are indeed gentle giants after they
grow up.

Pam S.

Old May 5th 09, 11:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

wrote in message
BfloPolska wrote:

He was twelve years old, a tabby Maine Coon; with a personality true
to the "gentle giant" breed. He was a one-owner cat for sure, and that
owner is just heartbroken. It seems like yesterday he was a funny-
looking little
kitten that I never thought would grow into the size of his ears. ?I
already miss him.

Sherry

Sherry, I'm so sorry he's gone. What a grand cat he was. I have enjoyed
reading about him over the years and seeing pictures of him.

I am so sorry to hear about dear Orion. I love the name, that mythic
giant...

And it always makes me think of that orange and white beauty from "Men
in Black":

http://home.sonic.net/~jwermont/misc/animals/orion.jpg

It always reminds me of Metallica.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSndn8E5FRY

Old May 7th 09, 04:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On Sat, 2 May 2009 23:04:03 -0700 (PDT), Sherry
wrote:

[...]

I'm so sorry for your terrible loss. Twelve years old is still in the
prime of life. I'm glad that he had a good quality of life, for such a
long time.

I'm sorry I'm late with my sympathy; I've fallen behind reading RPCA.

Purrs are on the way for your broken heart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

Your story has convinced me that my 13-14 YO Kenzie will not be getting
another rabies vaccine. She's never been outdoors since I adopted her
Old May 7th 09, 03:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

wrote:

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~ *^..^

Your last sentence is so, so true.
I feel the same way about the rabies vax. The vets tell us that vax-
related sarcomas are
extremely, extremely extremely rare. But IMO it is even rarer for a
housecat to contract
rabies. It's odd that I know several people with cats die from
sarcomas. I don't know anyone
whose cat has contracted rabies. Vets will not board or hospitalize
an animal here unless
it is vaccinated. Municipalities won't issue the mandatory tags unless
they're vaccinated.
Groomers require it. And I understand all this, they have no guarantee
that the cat doesn't
ever go outdoors.
Yoda nearly, very nearly, died in 2000 from a reaction to the rabies
vaccination. He never
got another one.
It's just so sad that what is supposed to be responsible ownership can
be what kills your beloved cat.
Sherry
Old May 8th 09, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatEyes

wrote:

[...]

======================

I have one of those rare vets who knows I deliberately will not have mine
vaccinated against rabies, but he'll treat them anyway. He tells me that
whether or not I vaccinate is between me and the county and he respects my
wishes in the matter.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 10th 09, 06:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rhonda[_3_]

Sorry to hear about your baby, Sherry. I think they take a piece of our
hearts with them when they have to leave.

Rhonda