Medical OT

Old January 17th 12, 08:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Default kindle

But the joy of an electronic reading device, even if its the size of a
phone (not the best reading platform) is that you can download fanfic
and other unpublished not-for-profit works.

I would be more joyful if the things were big enough that I could
display sheet music big enough to use with my crap eyesight. There
is a vast amount available free, and at present I need to print it
out before I can use any of it.

KIndles are rubbish at handling the commonly used formats for music
collections, anyway.

Old January 17th 12, 09:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

I have friends who have a Kindle and swear by them- my smartphone has
a Kindle reader app and I have looked into them but...

For a start in the UK the price of a Kindle edition of most books
really isn't that much cheaper- I looked at Charlaine Harris'
"Southern Vampire Mysteries" and the Kindle edition was about £1
cheaper per book...not to mention I got a boxed set of the first 8 for
only £20.

I'm probably the sort of person who should use a Kindle let's see
since Xmas I've brought 1 boxed set of 3 books on photography, 1 book
on London history, 1 book on local history, a cartoon annual and a
book on Frank Zappa (ordered this morning) oh and a V20 supplement...I
buy books like some people buy magazines (I buy those as well) so even
a few pence of savings would mount up not to mention remove some
clutter (every couple of months I go though my purchases and any I
don't want to read again I donate to the "Friends" shop at the
hospital where I work) but I don't like the idea...

I just love books and bookshops- there's something about the smell of
a bookshop (I worked in them for so long it feels like coming home
when I walk in) about browsing and reading the back cover blurb, about
finding something that grabs my attention, about cracking open a new
book,,,Kindle doesn't appeal to me the same way if I didn't get out
and about my choices would soon dwindle to Amazon's "If you brought
this you might like this" selections even though they tend to be
annoyingly accurate

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old January 17th 12, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Lesley wrote:

I'm probably the sort of person who should use a Kindle let's see
since Xmas I've brought 1 boxed set of 3 books on photography, 1 book
on London history, 1 book on local history, a cartoon annual and a
book on Frank Zappa (ordered this morning) oh and a V20 supplement...I
buy books like some people buy magazines (I buy those as well)

I envy all you fast readers! Someone - Jill, I think - was saying she
read 3 books per week. I read one book every couple of months! Partly
this is because I don't spend a huge amount of time reading - I mostly
read in bed, and sometimes that lasts for maybe 10 minutes before the
experience turns psychedelic and then I know I've entered alpha state.
Sometimes I will stay up reading for 45 mins to an hour, though. Not good
for the sleep I need, but at least I make faster progress. For the amount
of money I sometimes end up spending on late fines, I might as well just
buy the book.

But even when I spend a lot of time reading, I just don't read that fast.
I don't know why - I did learn to read quickly and to my knowledge I don't
have a learning disability of any kind. Then again, I have a friend who
reads extremely fast, but she never remembers anything she's read. I think
she must skim most things. I read with a lot of concentration. It takes
forever, but I retain a lot. (Including some things not worth retaining. )

(every couple of months I go though my purchases and any I
don't want to read again I donate to the "Friends" shop at the
hospital where I work)

Friends? You mean Quakers?

I just love books and bookshops- there's something about the smell of
a bookshop (I worked in them for so long it feels like coming home
when I walk in) about browsing and reading the back cover blurb, about
finding something that grabs my attention, about cracking open a new
book,,,Kindle doesn't appeal to me the same way

I like the social aspect - chatting with the person/people behind the
desk, or with other customers, sometimes running into friends. Or just
being around people, even if I don't talk to anyone. That is one drawback
to doing everything online, convenient as that is.

if I didn't get out
and about my choices would soon dwindle to Amazon's "If you brought
this you might like this" selections even though they tend to be
annoyingly accurate

I wish I could say the same. Usually I am referred to things that have
me scratching my head... how did they come up with *that*??

--
Joyce

I prefer to live with Feline Sapiens, thank you very much.
Old January 18th 12, 01:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Jan 17, 3:49*pm, Jack Campin wrote:
But the joy of an electronic reading device, even if its the size of a
phone (not the best reading platform) is that you can download fanfic
and other unpublished not-for-profit works.

I would be more joyful if the things were big enough that I could
display sheet music big enough to use with my crap eyesight. *There
is a vast amount available free, and at present I need to print it
out before I can use any of it.

Another thing I like about an e-reader is I can adjust the font,
Same goes for reading e-books on my PC.
I checked out books in large print from the library and they are
to be thicker, and so heavier than books with regular print.
So now I don't have tbother with large prints books unless they
don't have e-versions.
Winnie

KIndles are rubbish at handling the commonly used formats for music
collections, anyway.

e *m *a *i *l * *: * *j *a *c *k * @ * c *a *m *p *i *n * . * m *e * . * u *k
Jack Campin, *11 Third Street, *Newtongrange, *Midlothian EH22 4PU, *Scotland
mobile 07800 739 557 * * * http://www.campin.me.uk * * *Twitter: JackCampin

Old January 18th 12, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

I have been reading ebooks on phone-sized readers for years, and
bought a Nook Color (aka "a little Nookie - big grin) earlier this
year. I LOVE being able to carry a dozen (or more!) books wherever I
am, without the added weight.

--
Proof of sanity forged upon request
Old January 18th 12, 02:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Mark Edwards wrote:

I have been reading ebooks on phone-sized readers for years, and
bought a Nook Color (aka "a little Nookie - big grin) earlier this
year. I LOVE being able to carry a dozen (or more!) books wherever I
am, without the added weight.

I hope that the Kindle and similar products have a larger viewing screen
than that. I would find the tiny display window of an iphone type product
to be really annoying. Ideally, the screen should be the size of a single
page of a large paperback (not trade paperback size, but the more chi-chi
size for which they charge twice as much), or a smallish hardback.

--
Joyce

I want freedom, the right to self expression, everyone's right to
beautiful radiant things. -- Emma Goldman
Old January 18th 12, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Jan 17, 9:48*pm, wrote:
Mark Edwards wrote:

* I have been reading ebooks on phone-sized readers for years, and
* bought a Nook Color (aka "a little Nookie - big grin) earlier this
* year. I LOVE being able to carry a dozen (or more!) books wherever I
* am, without the added weight.

I hope that the Kindle and similar products have a larger viewing screen
than that. I would find the tiny display window of an iphone type product
to be really annoying. Ideally, the screen should be the size of a single
page of a large paperback (not trade paperback size, but the more chi-chi
size for which they charge twice as much), or a smallish hardback.

The Kobo Vox I bought early this month is 7.57 in by 5.06 in.
An iPad (with which you can do e-reading) is bigger, and heavier.
Winnie

Old January 18th 12, 04:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jan 17, 7:27*pm, Winnie wrote:
On Jan 17, 3:49*pm, Jack Campin wrote:

But the joy of an electronic reading device, even if its the size of a
phone (not the best reading platform) is that you can download fanfic
and other unpublished not-for-profit works.

I would be more joyful if the things were big enough that I could
display sheet music big enough to use with my crap eyesight. *There
is a vast amount available free, and at present I need to print it
out before I can use any of it.

Another thing I like about an e-reader is I can adjust the font,
Same goes for reading e-books on my PC.
I checked out books in large print from the library and they are
to be thicker, and so heavier than books with regular print.
So now I don't have tbother with large prints books unless they
don't have e-versions.
Winnie

DH bought an iPad for me once when I was in the hospital. I was
very chagrined about it, (I would never have spent the money for it)
But I have to say I have really, really, enjoyed it. A favorite
feature
is the iBooks. The screen is large, the font is adjustable, and best
of
all, it's backlit so I can read in the dark. And I don't have problems
with
eyestrain like I do with smallprint books. One petpeeve I have about
books
lately is that they seem to be printing words all the way into the
spine
sometimes.
iBooks has a good selection of books, plus lots of free ones. And most
offer very generous "samples" -- as little as 15 pages to as much as
60
pages -- for free. I can also buy from Amazon from the Kindle store.
One big drawback is that I can't "share" books after I'm finished with
them.

I also love the bookmark feature, and the "dictionary" feature. Just
press down
on a word, and the definition comes up. I'm sure that's on Kindle
also.

Sherry

Sherry
Old January 18th 12, 04:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Winnie wrote:

An iPad (with which you can do e-reading) is bigger, and heavier.

Does the iPad have a non-glare screen for that application? That's an
important feature to me. The main reason I've avoided reading on digital
devices is because, while I find the computer (and the 'net) addictive,
I don't find it *restful*, exactly. The idea of lying in bed reading
something that has the same kind of screen as a regular monitor doesn't
appeal.

--
Joyce

Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a good
many ailments, but I never heard of one who suffered from insomnia.
-- Joseph Wood Krutch