Medical OT

Old January 19th 12, 01:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default kindle

Joy wrote:

I think a Kindle would be wonderful for traveling! My travel budget has run
out, but when I was traveling, I would buy used paperbacks and take a stack
with me. Then, as I finished one, I'd leave it in the hotel room, the
pocket on the back of the airline seat, or wherever I was when I finished
it. That way, somebody else could enjoy it, and I didn't have to carry it
around any more.

Joy, have you heard of this?

http://www.bookcrossing.com/

It's a site where you can publicize the fact that you left a book
somewhere. You don't have to do anything differently (that is, you can
continue to leave paperbacks behind once you're done with them), but
if you publicize it on the bookcrossing site, someone else who happens
to be looking for that book, and is in the area, could go get it.

Oh, there's something about labeling the book before you leave it
someplace, I guess so someone who's going to pick it up knows that's
the one you left, and not somebody else's copy. I guess you could
read more about that on the site.

Maybe that's extra trouble you don't need, but I thought I'd mention
it in case you were interested.

--
Joyce

I will not sniff at my male human's feet after he takes his shoes off,
freeze my mouth open in disgust and then sniff my private parts to compare
odors. -- Cat Resolutions
Old January 19th 12, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
Joy wrote:

[...]

Thank you, Joyce. I had heard of it, but for some reason I never did it. I
can't remember why now. Anyway, as I said, my travel budget has gone, so I
don't expect to be traveling any more. It does sound like a nice idea for
someone who travels a lot.

Joy

Old January 19th 12, 01:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 11:31:54 -0800 (PST), Winnie
wrote:

As for formats, Kindle uses Mobi, many others use EPub, and there are
other flavors as well (HTML, LIT, DOC, PDF, etc). A free PC utility
called Calibre (search for it) allows you to maintain your own library
and convert from format to format as needed.

I didn't know Kindle uses Mobi. My local library e-books are mostly
in
epub or PDF format, and I assume it is the same with other Canaidan
libraries.
So then are e-books sold by Amazon use Mobi also?

Right now I'm working on reading some of the Cat Who series by Lillian
Jackson Braun, who recently crossed the Rainbow Bridge.
away all my paperback copies of her books,

I didn't know she went to RB. I think I have all her Cat Who series
books. Also gave away many of my books but I kept hers.

Winnie

Yes, books purchased from Amazon (at least through the Kindle) are in
Mobi format. I assume they sell other formats as well but maybe not.
The books through Amazon do have some sort of Digital Rights
Management I'm sure but I've never tried to pass those around so I'm
not sure.

Yes, LJB is indeed over the bridge. Koko and Yum Yum are no more as
well.
Old January 19th 12, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Jan 18, 9:08*pm, "Joy" wrote:
wrote in message

Joy wrote:

[...]

That is a great idea.
I used to donate used books to the public library. Now that there is a
library in
the building I live in, I donate and borrow books there. Sure the
selection is not
that great, but it is very convenient .
Winnie
Old January 19th 12, 04:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jan 18, 12:29*am, wrote:
Sherry wrote:

* DH bought an iPad for me once when I was in the hospital. I was
* very chagrined about it, (I would never have spent the money for it)
* But I have to say I have really, really, enjoyed it. A favorite
* feature
* is the iBooks. The screen is large, the font is adjustable

When you enlarge the font, does the text redo the line breaks so it
looks normal in the larger font? On some websites, if you make the
text larger, it looks messy because the lines break in new places,
but the old line breaks are still there. That would interfere with
my reading pleasure.

* One big drawback is that I can't "share" books after I'm finished with
* them.

Yes! My friends and I are always lending each other books. Sometimes
these loans end up permanent, but it's still worth it. (The permanent
loans go both ways, after all. )

I'm sure someone will figure out how to transfer files from one e-reader
to another, so you wouldn't have to lend someone the kindle itself to
lend them a book. Yes, that would be stealing, but is it any more so than
borrowing a hardcopy book? Oh, I suppose it would be, because you'd be
making a copy, and most people don't copy books (but if they did, that
would also be an infringement). I guess to do it legally, you could delete
your own copy of an e-book while someone else had it.

* I also love the bookmark feature, and the "dictionary" feature. Just
* press down on a word, and the definition comes up.

Ooo, that's great! My vocabulary would definitely improve with that.
Usually when I come across a word I don't know, I'm too lazy to go look
it up, so I try to guess from context what it means.

This is a very informative thread for me. Whenever it comes to pass that
I decide to shop for e-book readers, I'll have some ideas about features
I'd like it to have.

--
Joyce

The text wraps normally when you enlarge the font. I thought I
probably wouldn't
use it much at first, but I do, several times a day. Besides reading,
I can grab it
to check newsgroups, Facebook, email. Or the weather forecast. It's
just so
handy. I rarely type anything on it because the keyboard is awkward.
Another
advantage is that it's just so darn much fun for the 2 year old GS. So
many interactive books and
learning games.
I still think my favorite feature is being able to read in total
darkness. It's good for reading in the car.
And the "download a sample chapter"
feature. Some of those samples are very generous. I can spend an
entire evening deciding what
book to read next.

Sherry
Old January 19th 12, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message
"MaryL" wrote in message

Who, other than a student, carries a stack of books around? I read
about 3
books a week. Just one book at a time, so carrying one is really not a
hardship.

- - - - - - - - -

I'm not sure who wrote those lines, so I have snipped the attributions.
Anyway, the answer to the question of who carries a stack of books
around, the answer is: "I do." I travel a lot, and I like to take books
with me. In addition, I have a number of reference books on my Kindle
(photography guides, Bible, travel guides, various manuals, etc.). With
Kindle, I easily carry them all in one little device that is about the
size of a paperback book.

MaryL

I think a Kindle would be wonderful for traveling! My travel budget has
run out, but when I was traveling, I would buy used paperbacks and take a
stack with me. Then, as I finished one, I'd leave it in the hotel room,
the pocket on the back of the airline seat, or wherever I was when I
finished it. That way, somebody else could enjoy it, and I didn't have to
carry it around any more.

Joy

I didn't mean that the way it sounded. Yes, when I travel (which isn't much
anymore) I'd pack three or so paperback books with me. But as a rule I
don't carry around a bunch of books. At home I take one from one room to
the other. I also only read one book at a time. I just don't think I'd
find an electronic book as enjoyable. Sorry!

Jill

Old January 19th 12, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jan 17, 6:39*am, "jmcquown" wrote:

I doubt that, too, Joyce. *What if I want to read the latest greatest book?
Oh, sorry, they don't offer it yet. *And I'd rather not carry around an
electronic tablet which, if I dropped it, would most likely break. *The
worst thing that ever happened to an actual book I had was it was left
outside and got rained on. *I don't want to think about the cost of
replacing a Kindle if I left it sitting on the table outside during a storm.

Jill

I haven't found this to be true of iBooks. The *do* offer the newest
releases,
and also a waiting list for the ones that aren't released yet. The
problem
comes in when you're wanting to read an older, more obscure book. Most
classics
are available, and most for free, but if you're wanting to re-read a
book you
read a long time ago that's *not* a classic, you'll have to find it
elsewhere.
e-Readers are like any new technology--people either love them or
not.

I can't speak for the Kindle, but daughter's Nook is definitely not
easy to break. I've
never had any problem with the iPad, but I'm definitely not careless
with it.

Sherry

Old January 19th 12, 06:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Winnie" wrote in message
On Jan 18, 9:08 pm, "Joy" wrote:
wrote in message

Joy wrote:

[...]

***

My senior center has a "library" - a few shelves where people can borrow, or
simply take, books, or, of course, donate books.

Joy

Old January 19th 12, 06:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message
"MaryL" wrote in message

[...]

I didn't think I would either, but now I do. My sister and brother-in-law,
who are also avid readers, gave them to each other for Christmas in 2010,
and they absolutely love them.

I do keep one book in the bathroom, but the other book I'm reading stays in
my living room until bedtime. I eat my meals in the living room, so it's
handy for that, and for reading during commercials when I'm watching TV.
Then I take it into the bedroom so I can read in bed. I wouldn't be able to
keep track of multiple books.

I'm not saying you should like a Kindle just because I think I might. I
don't think everybody needs to like the same thing. I love newsgroups and
email, and pay lip service to Facebook, but I'm not interested in texting or
tweeting.

Joy

Old January 19th 12, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Medical OT

"Yowie" wrote in message
On 17/01/2012 9:49 AM, wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

May he recover. I was told I would not, and got my grave arranged.

I did
get better but how long for I don't know.
Six years now, about time for something else in the cancer dept to

kick in.

I've always heard that once you've passed the 5-year mark (of remission)
that your risk of getting cancer again is the same as anyone else's risk.
That is, your risk doesn't come from the possible reemergence of the
original cancer, but I suppose you could get it again anyway. But no
more so than I could. Have you heard different?

I've heard that too, Joyce. I think that its 'roughly' correct, although
it always depends on the particular person, their family history, the
original type of cancer, the location of it, the treatment they received
the first time etc etc.

Alas, it doesn't stop those who have overcome this horrid disease once
worrying that they'll fall victim to it again.

It's all very well to say that, but one of my colleagues, who thought she
had beaten breast cancer, cured in 5 years, well, after 10 years it got her
in the bones. She died at aged 49.
It will always get you eventually you once you've had it.

Purrs to you, Tweed.

Thanks