Kitten with ?contractures?

Old November 25th 03, 10:23 PM
MsKitty834

Default Kitten with ?contractures?

I just received a rescued kitten - Siamese mix female, 10.2 ounces, in not too
bad shape except for a worm-belly - who has weird back legs. One is worse than
the other, but neither one can be fully extended, stretched out - there seems
to be something binding? She's lying on her back in my lap, now, and her back
paws are tucked up very close to her body ... knees up and feet together - she
could very easily put the soles of her feet together, or even flatten the more
affected one against her so the bottom of that paw was flat against her tummy.

She does use one of them to get around ... the other one seems to have a worn
spot on the knee. They both have some muscle tone and they both do extend some
when she wakes up and stretches.

Anybody recognize this? does it have a name? Is it correctable - maybe
surgically, or just by a determined program of stretching?

Mary T.

Old November 25th 03, 11:59 PM
Sharon Talbert

Put your money down on a vet visit.

I have seen several kittens with similar birth defects. Some do
fair-to-middling as natural-born "twisty-cats." Some can't survive. As
long as your little one is able to evacuate normally and able to get
around, however awkwardly, she should find a good home as a
"special-needs" cat and will bring someone a lot of joy. I have a
cerebellar hypoplasia cat myself, who is now 8-1/2 years old and still
staggering strong.

I also am in touch with a newsgroup dedicated to special needs pets, if
you are interested. Contact me at my Campus Cats address.

Sharon Talbert

Friends of Campus Cats
www.campuscats.org

Guest Cat & Kitten LOL Cat anecdotes 30 August 10th 04 02:08 PM
Resident female cat does not accept new kitten Help!!!!! Dan Coleman Cat health & behaviour 4 July 23rd 03 04:55 PM