Laser pointers?

Old February 18th 06, 04:54 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Laser pointers?

In article ,
Ivor Jones wrote:

"Claude V. Lucas" wrote in message

In article , AlexZ
Newsgroup wrote:
What is your opinion of laser pointers as toy plus
exercise device? Amazon.com reviews are highly
polarized, some love them, some think they are
dangerous...

Other than pointing one directly into a living eye, it's
tough for me to see the danger. However my cat, Bubba,
loses
interest after about 10 seconds when he realizes that the
red
dot is not actually catchable....

Other cats are apparently more interested in them.

I'm just wondering how easy it would be for the beam to find its way into
an eye by accident during play. This is why I'm reluctant to try one.

Ivor

The cat has to look directly at you.

You have to point the beam directly into his/her/it's eye
and keep your finger on the button...

I possibly could be mistaken, but I believe that most
of the cheap laser pointers are not powerful enough
to do any damage in less than a couple of seconds of
direct exposure. I bought 2/$5 at Walgreens and they
project a dot but aren't laser welders by any stretch.

I tried again with Bubba and he's interested enough
to chirp at the dot, but can't be bothered to move
to chase it...

Claude
Old February 18th 06, 05:14 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Claude V. Lucas" wrote:

I tried again with Bubba and he's interested enough
to chirp at the dot, but can't be bothered to move
to chase it...

Cats change all the time. Just as their favorite sleeping
places change, so do their taste in toys. At least with
my cats.

Old February 18th 06, 05:41 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article , cybercat wrote:

"Claude V. Lucas" wrote:

I tried again with Bubba and he's interested enough
to chirp at the dot, but can't be bothered to move
to chase it...

Cats change all the time. Just as their favorite sleeping
places change, so do their taste in toys. At least with
my cats.

Yeah. If I shine the dot off of something like
a golf ball he chirps, and he follows it around
with his head and eyes, but doesn't chase it.
Even if I run the dot close to him he won't waste
the energy to paw at it, just glare at it. :^)

Bubba still likes his stuffed fish on a pole and
the birds out the window a whole lot better than
the laser dot. He's smart enough to realize that
there's nothing there to actually grab on to.

I guess he likes to feel the prey...

Claude
Old February 18th 06, 08:45 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

D. wrote:
In article .com,
"DW" wrote:

I have several gripes about them though, they eat batteries and they
power
on button is difficult to use.

I have a critter one that has an easy-to-use button and takes AAA
batteries, which seem to last.

I've tried a number of them, they all seem to use AG-13 batteries that
cost about $5.00+
for two of them. Also the button to activate the pointer has to be
pressed all the time
and gets painful after about 30+ seconds of use.

Why a button to press, how about a slide type of switch?

I've noticed young kittens love to play with them. Once the kitten
reaches adult they
get to the point where they say "go chase the dot yourself."

Remember the old addage: cats have staff to do things like chase the
laser
dot for them.

Old February 18th 06, 11:03 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Claude V. Lucas" wrote in message
In article , cybercat

wrote:

"Claude V. Lucas" wrote:

I tried again with Bubba and he's interested enough
to chirp at the dot, but can't be bothered to move
to chase it...

Cats change all the time. Just as their favorite sleeping
places change, so do their taste in toys. At least with
my cats.

Yeah. If I shine the dot off of something like
a golf ball he chirps, and he follows it around
with his head and eyes, but doesn't chase it.
Even if I run the dot close to him he won't waste
the energy to paw at it, just glare at it. :^)

Bubba still likes his stuffed fish on a pole and
the birds out the window a whole lot better than
the laser dot. He's smart enough to realize that
there's nothing there to actually grab on to.

I guess he likes to feel the prey...

Yeah, mine too. These toys are big favorites, they
rabbitkick them in the morning and at night and my little tabby
kind of hooks them and makes them jump then conquers them.

http://store.yahoo.com/fatcatinc/cr2cattoyse.html

Old February 18th 06, 11:09 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article , cybercat wrote:

"Claude V. Lucas" wrote in message
.. .
In article , cybercat

wrote:

"Claude V. Lucas" wrote:

[...]

Those look pretty nifty.

I'll have to get a pack and see how Bubba likes 'em.

Claude
Old February 18th 06, 11:14 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Claude V. Lucas" wrote
http://store.yahoo.com/fatcatinc/cr2cattoyse.html

Those look pretty nifty.

I'll have to get a pack and see how Bubba likes 'em.

I think he might! They use "high octane" catnip, and there is this
crackly stuff inside that crunches when they bite them. I have had
cats that would not play with any toys play with these. Browse around,
there are a bunch of different kings. Check out the "Political Animals"
series. It is great fun to watch your cat kick the bejeezus out of your
least favorite politicians.

Old February 18th 06, 11:25 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article , cybercat wrote:

"Claude V. Lucas" wrote
http://store.yahoo.com/fatcatinc/cr2cattoyse.html

Those look pretty nifty.

I'll have to get a pack and see how Bubba likes 'em.

I think he might! They use "high octane" catnip, and there is this
crackly stuff inside that crunches when they bite them. I have had
cats that would not play with any toys play with these. Browse around,
there are a bunch of different kings. Check out the "Political Animals"
series. It is great fun to watch your cat kick the bejeezus out of your
least favorite politicians.

"High Octane" catnip, ehh...

I have a gallon ziplok half full of regular catnip that I grew in
the yard from a couple of plants from Pet Smart. :^)

I have to be careful about how much of it Bubba gets.

He goes schizo when he's on the 'nip. He'll lay on his back
to be rubbed on the tummy, start purring and then out of
nowhere grab with his claws, bite, and bunnykick while
he's still purring away... I've lost skin to that act...

I'll definately give the crunchy toys a go.

They sound like somethng he'd like.

Claude
Old February 19th 06, 12:26 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Claude V. Lucas" wrote in message
In article , cybercat

wrote:

"Claude V. Lucas" wrote
http://store.yahoo.com/fatcatinc/cr2cattoyse.html

Those look pretty nifty.

I'll have to get a pack and see how Bubba likes 'em.

I think he might! They use "high octane" catnip, and there is this
crackly stuff inside that crunches when they bite them. I have had
cats that would not play with any toys play with these. Browse around,
there are a bunch of different kings. Check out the "Political Animals"
series. It is great fun to watch your cat kick the bejeezus out of

your
least favorite politicians.

"High Octane" catnip, ehh...

I have a gallon ziplok half full of regular catnip that I grew in
the yard from a couple of plants from Pet Smart. :^)

That's a great idea! I would love to try to grow it, I never noticed it at
Petsmart!

I have to be careful about how much of it Bubba gets.

My cat Boo eats it. Just chows right down on it, then starts acting insane.
My other cat gracie just snorts it and then kicks the snot out of her
toys.

He goes schizo when he's on the 'nip. He'll lay on his back
to be rubbed on the tummy, start purring and then out of
nowhere grab with his claws, bite, and bunnykick while
he's still purring away... I've lost skin to that act...

Haha!

Hey, I want to see Bubba~!