Cats and Milk

Old January 8th 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

Default Cats and Milk

Pat wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote

By the way, I don't eat sugar. I don't drink soft drinks and only use
flour
as necessary for baking. Yes, I eat baked yeast bread. And you wonder
why
I didn't want to meet you when you came to Memphis. Mizz picky picky
picky.
Cant't/won't eat anything but at a Vietnamese place in midtown. Excuse
me
but the Viet's SHOT my father a few times, so sorry I don't want to eat
their food.

Oh, thanks for the information. I was curious. I never did buy the story
you gave me at the time, about being afraid to drive. Good to know that
it wasn't merely hatred of me that kept you from meeting for lunch.

Well, judging from what you've shown of yourself on this thread, it may
not have been Jill's reason, but had I been in her place, it would surely
have been mine! It's fun to meet people we only know through the
internet, but NOT if all we've seen of them there shrieks "incompatible"!
(Life is too short to waste it like that.)

Jil knew next to nothing of me at the time. And I would offer that only one
or two in this group know more than a tiny bit about me, no matter how many
believe otherwise.

Old January 8th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Pat wrote:

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote

Pat wrote:

"Yowie" wrote

The consumption of milk, cheese and curds of both cow and sheep are
mentioned in the Old Testament, which predates the dairy industry and its
propaganda by several thousand years

It also predates refrigeration by approximately the same number of
millennia.

So now you've got something against modern refrigeration, too?

Not particularly. I merely wished to point out how ludicrous it might be to
believe that diary products could be kept fresh without it in the desert.

I don't think anyone but you thought that issue had even
been raised!

Old January 8th 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote

Randy wrote:

She may have an allergy to diary protein, as do I. I cannot drink milk at
all.

But unlike Pat, you don't seem to feel that, just because you do not drink
milk, no one else should, either!

So now it is wrong to care about the well-being of others. OK, I retract
everything I said. I don't give a rat's tail how you spoil your health.

Well, if your posts on this thread are any indication of
your MENTAL health, I'll take my diet over yours any day!

Old January 8th 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote

Pat wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote

I do get occasional sinus and ear infections (the two go hand in hand
thanks
to the eustachian tube) but those are bacterial, not viral infections and
cannot be transmitted person to person.

I would offer that your infections are not caused by bacteria or virus,
but rather by your consumption of dairy products - along with other
gargage like refined sugar and flour, which combine with dairy residues
to create mucus, in which those nasty micro-organisms (that get blamed as
the "cause" of infections) are able to thrive.

To which I'd be inclined to reply (if I weren't too polite) "You're full
of s--t!"

I bet you're also too polite to kick it out of me

Don't bet on it - you're really beginning to **** me off!
(And I suspect I'm not alone.)

- but that's exactly what
you'd love to do, isn't it? Or maybe a better choice would be to gather a
gang to stone me. That's the preferred punishment for heresy against the
sacred (in this case, the sacred cow).

What did I just say about your mental health? (Case closed!)
Old January 8th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

CatNipped wrote:

Both my children were allergic to milk as babies - they had to drink soy
milk - but they could both drink milk as children and into adulthood. I
don't know if they just became tolerant from exposure or if their
allergies actually went away (I know you can develop allergies with age
that you didn't have as a child, but don't know that the reverse is
true).

I think it well may be - how often doctors, in telling parents of a
child's allergy, add "but he/she may outgrow it"!

While kids may "outgrow" allergies, what they don't tell you is odds are
extremely high they will come back by the time they are thirty or so. Also
true of outgrowing asthma.

Jo

Old January 8th 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Randy wrote:

She may have an allergy to diary protein, as do I. I cannot drink
milk at all.

But unlike Pat, you don't seem to feel that, just because you do
not drink milk, no one else should, either!

So now it is wrong to care about the well-being of others. OK, I
retract everything I said. I don't give a rat's tail how you spoil
your health.

Well, if your posts on this thread are any indication of
your MENTAL health, I'll take my diet over yours any day!

I'm pouring a nice big glass of skim milk right now and toasting you,
Evelyn!

Jill ---loves milk and so does Persia

Old January 8th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Pat wrote:

[...]

Actually, I *am* afraid to drive. It sometimes takes a lot to get me out of
the house. I'm not agorophobic but close to it. But there was just
something hinky about the insistance at a particular type of food and it had
to be in Midtown Memphis. I suggested all sorts of things but with Pat it
absolutely HAD to be Vietnamese. I suppose it's because they don't drink
milk. LOL

Old January 9th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote

you seem to be laboring under the misapprehension that mucus generated by
food is neither healthy nor normal! (Upon what scientific data do you base
that assumption?)

I haven't done or even looked at any "scientific" data. Maybe you should ask
some of the people mentioned in this article from www.milksucks.com instead
of only looking at studies funded by the dairy industry:

According to a report published by the American Academy of Allergy and
Immunology Committee on Adverse Reactions to Food (part of the National
Institutes of Health), the allergies of up to one third of children tested
cleared after milk was removed from their diet.

Dr. Benjamin Spock, author of the world-famous book Baby and Child Care,
wrote in 1998, "Cow's milk is not recommended for a child when he is sick-or
when he is well, for that matter. Dairy products may cause more mucus
complications and cause more discomfort with upper respiratory infections."

In their book Allergies to Milk, Drs. Sami L. Bahna and Douglas C. Heiner
report that children who are allergic to milk "may have breathing
difficulty, particularly during sleep, or an irritating cough associated
with a postnasal drip. . The cough is frequently associated with noisy
breathing and excessive mucus in the throat, and sometimes parents worry
that their child is 'gagging.' . Such affected children are frequently
diagnosed as having upper respiratory infection, viral illness,
bronchitis, . or pneumonia. Accordingly, they may be given unnecessary
medications, including cough syrups, decongestants, or antibiotics. Relief,
however, is not satisfactory until cow's milk is eliminated from the diet."

A 1997 report on food allergies in the Journal of the American Medical
Association found that cow's milk allergies tend to hit children in their
infancies. Recommended therapies for food allergies include "strict removal
of the offending allergen" or possibly a diet centered on human breast milk.

A British study found that 93 percent of children diagnosed with cow's milk
allergy experienced asthma and/or rhinitis when milk was included in their
diet. (The book Asthma and Rhinitis states that rhinitis is "characterized
by itching, sneezing, nasal blockage, and discharge.")

Frank Oski, M.D., the former director of the Department of Pediatrics of
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and physician-in-chief of the
Johns Hopkins Children's Center, said in his 1992 book, "The fact is: The
drinking of cow milk has been linked to iron-deficiency anemia in infants
and children; it has been named as the cause of cramps and diarrhea in much
of the world's population, and the cause of multiple forms of allergy as
well."

In his book Pregnancy, Children, and the Vegan Diet, Dr. Michael Klaper
explains why milk may trigger the production of mucus: "[W]hen the protein
of another animal is introduced into one's immune system, an allergic/immune
response is created in many places in the body. A common reaction to such an
assault by a foreign protein in our immune system is an outpouring of mucus
from the nasal and throat membranes. . The resulting mucus flow can create
the chronic runny noses, persistent sore throats, hoarseness, bronchitis,
and the recurrent ear infections that plague so many children (and their
parents)."

According to the metastudy Milk Allergies, "Cow's milk allergy, mainly a
disease of infancy, is usually manifested within the first two or three
months of life. . No age, however, is exempt, and milk allergy may be first
detected during adolescence or adulthood."

Dr. Christiane Northrup states: "Dairy is a tremendous mucus producer and a
burden on the respiratory, digestive, and immune systems." Dr. Northrup says
that patients who "eliminate dairy products for an extended period and eat a
balanced diet . suffer less from colds and sinus infections."

The mucus created by milk may cause other health problems, as well. Dr.
William Ellis, who has studied the effects of dairy foods for more than four
decades, says that milk is "simply no good for humans." Dr. Ellis believes
that the excess mucus caused by milk can harden to form a coating on the
inner wall of the intestines, hindering the absorption of nutrients and
possibly leading to chronic fatigue.

According to an article in the June 26, 2003, Calgary Herald, milk is the
most common source of allergies in children. Sharon Tateishi, a Calgary,
Alberta, nutritionist for more than 20 years, comments, "There are so many
articles coming up. You can't ignore the issue any more. If a child has food
sensitivities to milk, the symptoms can include eczema, bloating, runny
nose, chronic ear infections, stomach problems. It could be asthma. Even
things like kidney and bladder problems."

Old January 9th 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote

What did I just say about your mental health? (Case closed!)

Plaintiff, Judge and Jury all rolled into one. I'd call that
megalomaniacal...

Old January 9th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"jmcquown" wrote

Actually, I *am* afraid to drive. It sometimes takes a lot to get me out
of
the house. I'm not agorophobic but close to it. But there was just
something hinky about the insistance at a particular type of food and it
had
to be in Midtown Memphis. I suggested all sorts of things but with Pat it
absolutely HAD to be Vietnamese. I suppose it's because they don't drink
milk. LOL

My recollection is that initially several emails were exchanged (this was
back in 2003) to discuss meeting for lunch when I got to Memphis. These
included photos so we could recognize one another at the restaurant. When I
arrived in Memphis I called you to decide when and where to meet the next
day, and you said that since it was my treat I should choose the place. I
asked if you liked Oriental cuisine because it's a favorite of mine and in
fact one of the reasons I like visiting Memphis was the many Oriental
restaurants, and I looked forward to the chance to have some good Thai food,
or Vietnamese, or even Chinese or East Indian. I mentioned that I had tried
the East Indian place near where you live on a prior visit and found it not
very good as well as overpriced. Neither of us knew which if any of the Thai
places were good. Then you said just pick the place and I'll meet you there.
So I told you about a good Vietnamese buffet and you agreed to meet me there
the next day. But you never showed. Later I got an email saying you had been
too afraid to drive.