Advice needed: pilling Smudge

Old May 9th 09, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Advice needed: pilling Smudge

Smudge seems to have arthritis - I've noticed her limping as she comes
up the stairs to my door. (If I'm dressed to go out, I go down and carry
her up, but that's not always an option.) I know it's not an injury
because this has gone on for several weeks, and once she's been up and
walking around for a while, she stops limping. It seems to be worst on
the stairs. (And she seems to understand that I've come down to carry
her up the stairs, and to appreciate it!)

When I brought her to the vet last week for bloodwork, I asked about
the arthritis, and the vet recommended that I give her a baby aspirin
once every 3 days. I also bought some chewable glucosamine tabs.

Well, she won't eat the glucosamine tabs (it's a big tablet, but I
broke it up into small pieces that I thought she would be able to
handle - no go).

Then we have the issue of the aspirin. The first day I gave it to her,
I put it in a pill pocket and she ate it right up. I thought that meant
this was going to be easy, but 3 days later, I gave her her "treat"
and this time, she wouldn't eat it. So I had to pill her the nasty way,
by sticking it back in her throat and holding her jaws together until
she swallowed. This morning was day #3, and she put up quite a fight.
I got a lot of scratches on my hands and arms and she was quite miserable.
I can't imagine that we're going to have to do this every 3 days
indefinitely!

Does anyone have any suggestions? There is a compounding pharmacy
in my area, so I have thought of that. If they make it a good flavor
that a cat would eat, that might do the trick.

Has anyone tried anything else that might be effective?

Later on the same day of her first aspirin, I noticed she had more
spring in her step, and she was able to run up the stairs. So I want
to find a way to give it to her that isn't going to ruin our lives.

Thanks!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old May 9th 09, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On May 9, 4:38*pm, wrote:
[...]

When I used to give Cherokee baby aspirin, I used to just crush it and
mix it with a little
food. I don't have any new pilling tricks, I wish did!
It startled me to hear that your vet prescribed a whole baby aspirin,
(81 mg). Back then, the
dosage for cats was 20 mg every 3 days (1/4 aspirin). Your vet
probably told you already about the enzyme
thing that causes it to take 3 days for the body to process it. Maybe
the veterinary
community has changed thought since way back then. I googled briefly
looking for aspirin
dosage and ran across this website arthritis; I usually read
anything on the internet
with enough healthy skepticism, but there were some arthritis remedies
I'd never heard
of. Thought you might like to read it:
http://www.valleypetnews.com/venerable_vet_i.htm

Good luck to Smudge! I'm glad she's already responding to the
treatment.

Sherry
Old May 9th 09, 11:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Smudge seems to have arthritis - I've noticed her limping as she
comes up the stairs to my door.

[problems getting glucosamine and aspirin down her]

Has anyone tried anything else that might be effective?

Metacam (a rather more heavy-duty anti-inflammatory) comes in liquid
form and you squirt it down the cat's throat with a syringe. Maybe
you could use the same technique or get dissolved aspirin down? (and
maybe even glucosamine, in suspension).

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******
Old May 10th 09, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

wrote in message
[...]

Our vet mentioned to us (Tennessee, at age 15, is getting a bit stiff)
that there is a glucosamine gel available, made specifically for cats. We
haven't ordered any, as he's not too bad - yet.

her
wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde

Old May 10th 09, 12:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB

wrote:
[...]

When I had to give TuTu aspirin, the Vet said 1/4 of a baby aspirin
every 3 days. got an eye dropper and I crushed the aspirin and added a
little water. I took the top off the eyedropper and poured the mixture
in the bottom of the dropper (holding the end closed of course). Put
the top back om. TuTu did not see me do this. Then I went to the cat
and inserted the dropper into the corner of her mouth and squirted it
in. It worked. MLB

PS I mixed it in a spoon.
Old May 10th 09, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Only if there is something she really likes that can substitute for
the pill pocket. A baby aspirin in fairly large so would involve some
chewing etc in a pocket type treat. So maybe break it up a bit so she
wouldn't have to chew it. Do they still make liquid aspirin?

Still remember as a kid my parents crushing an aspirin between two
spoons and then adding a spoonful of strawberry jam to it to get me to
take it.

Jo

Old May 10th 09, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

wrote in message
[...]

When Stinky started getting stiff, the vet prescribed glucosamone in liquid
form, which he loved. I'll try to track down the name of it.

--
Theresa and Dante

Stinky Forever: http://pets.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old May 10th 09, 06:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rhonda[_3_]

We have a cat with arthritis that is getting bad, too. We decided to get
glucosimine in capsules. That made it very easy. We just open the
capsule and sprinkle some on wet food or a spoonful of meat baby food.
He doesn't even notice it.

The vet now has us giving him glucosimine/chondritin (sp?) combo. I got
that in tablets and crush them. I also sprinkle a portion in a good food
and it disappears.

I think a whole baby aspirin doesn't sound right, either. I thought only
a portion of a tablet was safe, but can't remember what fraction the vet
had us use years ago. Looks like most web sites say 1/4th.

Rhonda

Old May 10th 09, 08:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sherry wrote:

It startled me to hear that your vet prescribed a whole baby aspirin,
(81 mg). Back then, the dosage for cats was 20 mg every 3 days (1/4
aspirin).

I thought this seemed excessive, too, so once I picked up the bottle
of aspirin, I called the vet back and asked her to verify that she had
actually said one whole 81mg tablet every three days. And she said yes.
Maybe I should ask around to different vets.

Your vet probably told you already about the enzyme thing
that causes it to take 3 days for the body to process it.

No, she didn't mention this at all. I assume this is specific to cats?

I googled briefly looking for aspirin
dosage and ran across this website arthritis; I usually read
anything on the internet
with enough healthy skepticism, but there were some arthritis remedies
I'd never heard of. Thought you might like to read it:
http://www.valleypetnews.com/venerable_vet_i.htm

Thanks! That might be very useful.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old May 10th 09, 08:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

Metacam (a rather more heavy-duty anti-inflammatory) comes in liquid
form and you squirt it down the cat's throat with a syringe. Maybe
you could use the same technique or get dissolved aspirin down? (and
maybe even glucosamine, in suspension).

Those are good ideas, too. I always figure that aspirin tastes so
terrible that I wouldn't want her to have to swallow it dissolved
in water. Even this kind, which is cherry-flavored, probably doesn't
taste so great to a cat.

My next idea is to buy Fancy Feast and crush up the glucosamine pill
in that. I've never given that to my cats, but why shouldn't Smudge
get to live it up a bit?

--
Joyce ^..^