breeding

Old January 26th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

Default breeding

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 01:30:40 GMT, Ketzl's Dad
yodeled:

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 20:10:28 -0500, mlbriggs wrote:

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:14:44 -0800, Sherry wrote:

My "thoughts on this" are, first, there should be absolutely no random
breeding until the day that no more mixed-breed cats are killed simply
for lack of a home. There are too many already. I don't know where you
live, but if it's the U.S., that applies even more so. We kill cats by
the thousands every day. There is no way, no how, you can justify
breeding your cat.
But I'll be the first to admit, kittens are fun. You could offer to
foster a pregnant female for your local shelter, or adopt a kitten
already born. Why not think about that?
Sherry

On Jan 25, 5:00*pm, "agapecharis" wrote:
Me again. I have a question that I was wandering if y'all could help me
with. My husband wants to let our youngest, Koda, have kittens since
our oldest, Helen, was already fixed when we adopted her. Since our
girls are inside only cats, how would we go about letting her have a
litter, especially since she is not of any specific breed (that we know
of).

By the way, I never entroduced myself (and the family) to y'all. We
live in Colorado Springs, we're in our mid 20's and our only children
right now are our 2 little girls Helen ( 1.5 years), and our youngest
Koda. We adopted Helen from a shelter up the mountain here, and Koda
was a gift from a lady I worked with after my Ginger Baby (who used to
be our only child) left us. Can't wait to see everyone's thoughts on
this.

I second the motion! MLB

For your own sanity, I recommend you check local shelters. I had terrible
experiences with petfinder when I was looking. I applied at about a
half-dozen "rescuers" and (maybe this is just a New York City thing but) I
was subjected to the most stringent and inconvenient requirements even to
visit with a pet.

One person had an 8-page application I needed to fill out that included three
personal references, a landlord reference and a veterinarian reference. All
three of the personal references were called and asked very personal and
embarrassing questions (for the respondent) to answer.

Often the fees are outrageous and the individuals who I met with were,
without exception, overly protective of their pets. It's no wonder there are
so many out there waiting to be adopted. I spent six months trying for a cat.
I finally went to Bide-A-Wee, which, lucky for me, is six blocks from here.
(I don't know why I didn't go there first.) And within 20 minutes I had been
selected by one of the best cats in the world. Within an hour he was home.

Obviously, if you have no other alternative for adoption, use the individuals
on petfinder, but if you have a choice, use the established agencies. At
least, that is my recommendation, based on my experience.

OTOH, if there was some unimaginable reason I had to give up my boys,
and no close friend or relative to take them, I would want everything
including blood tests and a FBI search on the prospective slaves.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old January 26th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On 26 Jan 2007 08:12:36 -0800, "agapecharis"
yodeled:

Thank you all for your thoughts. My husband has dropped the idea, at
least for now. Just so y'all know if we ever did allow her to have
kittens, we would keep them all. However, no worries, as soon as she
starts to start yelling for a man, she will be fixed.

We did decide to adopt another cat last night. I tell you he is like my
Ginger Baby reincarnated. His personality so far is just like
Ginger's was. His meow even sounds the way she did. There is one
thing he does that she (nor any other cat I have ever had) has ever
done. He gives kisses like a dog. It is so cute.

-Cassandra

When you're ready, we'd love to see pictures.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old January 26th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"agapecharis" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you all for your thoughts. My husband has dropped the idea, at
least for now. Just so y'all know if we ever did allow her to have
kittens, we would keep them all. However, no worries, as soon as she
starts to start yelling for a man, she will be fixed.

Uh, don't wait that long!

If she's five months old its time now.

Especially since you just got a boycat.

Jo

Old January 26th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
agapecharis

Patches is fixed, I think it's required when you adopt from a shelter.

Ok, you can see our kids here.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...ost=good-times

-Cassandra

Old January 26th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"agapecharis" wrote

soon as she starts to start yelling for a man, she will be fixed.

Why wait?

Spay surgery is more risky and difficult if it's done while a cat is in
heat. Most vets either charge more for spays done during heat periods, or -
wisely - refuse to do them until the heat is over.

It can be difficult to get a young female cat worked into a vet's schedule
at the right time, because if they're not bred, they stay in heat a good
deal of the time! And each time they go through a heat period without being
bred, the risk of cystic ovaries climbs. Cystic ovaries can be fatal.

So, once again: Why wait?

Old January 26th 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

agapecharis wrote:

Patches is fixed, I think it's required when you adopt from a shelter.

Ok, you can see our kids here.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...ost=good-times

Oh, what cuties! Ginger Baby was a beautiful girl. I love the one of her
striding purposefully along with her fluffy tail in the air. (The caption
for that one reads "The late, great party animal").

Your current two girls look very sweet. I hope they'll welcome Patches.
Do they seem to be getting along very well?

I agree with others that Koda should be spayed right away. At 5 months,
she is almost ready to have her first heat. And even if your intent is
to keep her indoors, when a cat is in heat, she can often find a way to
get outside! (Happened to me once.)

Welcome to RPCA!

Joyce
Old January 26th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
agapecharis

Your current two girls look very sweet. I hope they'll welcome Patches.
Do they seem to be getting along very well?

The girls are a little upset. There were a few angry words toward us
and toward Patches last night, but now they've setteled down. They're
stating to go about everything as usual, instead of following him all
over as they did last night.

I guess it would be a good idea to have it done now.

-Cassandra

Old January 27th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

agapecharis wrote:

Your current two girls look very sweet. I hope they'll welcome Patches.
Do they seem to be getting along very well?

The girls are a little upset. There were a few angry words toward us
and toward Patches last night, but now they've setteled down. They're
stating to go about everything as usual, instead of following him all
over as they did last night.

I guess it would be a good idea to have it done now.

-Cassandra

Lots of purrs and best wishes for everything to go really well,
Polonca and Soncek