What to Do - Abandoned Kitty

Old October 14th 03, 08:53 PM
Kalyahna

wrote in message
We had a
terrible kitten season this year because of a mild winter with not a
whole lot of snow and the shelters and animal control were/are
overflowing.

That's true for us as well, and we were adopting out more dogs than cats.
We've been taking dogs and small animals (rabbits, hamsters, guineas, etc)
from other shelters to help them out.

We have that feral program, but it only holds so many cats at a time. The
assistant animal director has gotten to the point that she introduces feral
to feral to save cages, but she has a good enough heart that I was able to
talk her into holding off euth of a trio of hissy/shy kittens, the oldest of
which was maybe 3 months. Eventually she called the head of the feral
program and explained our need for cage space (because if it comes down to
it, it's the ferals that go first unless there are
non-feral-but-highly-aggressives), she came in, and I explained about the
kittens. She took all three. It's one of those things that my boss wasn't
terribly happy about (because it tied up extra cages for a couple of days),
but how do I face myself and go back to work if I don't make every effort to
save cats that just need some extra time?

While I'm at it, Megan... do you have any advice on my situation? I took a
terrified little grey tabby in June, and it's only in the last few weeks
that she'll come over in the early morning and make happy paws on me. I
still can't approach her once I'm up and around. The problem is she has
chronic conjunctivitis, and it's getting worse, so she has to go back on
terramycin. The difficulty is that the only time I can reliably get the cat
without chasing her around for half an hour is in the morning, but I don't
want her to start associating me with medication and ruining what trust has
been built so far. My only other option is putting her in the bathroom for
two weeks. Any idea how best to positively socialize her and still get the
medication going? She does like treats; she'll come out to sniff and eat
them, but as soon as I touch her, she bolts.

Old October 14th 03, 10:43 PM

Kalyahna wrote:

[...]

Actually, putting her in the bathroom is the best way to accomplish both
goals.
I always recommend starting ferals out in a small space which generally
consists of a large cage or small bathroom. This is the best way to get
a cat used to you coming close to it without it having an opportunity to
get far away and teaches them that when you do get your hands on them
they live to tell about it ;-)

I would put this cat in the bathroom and then make a concerted effort to
make medication times become a positive thing by following the
administration of the meds with really good things that she loves such
as treats. There are many cats that know that when it's med time they
get yummies and are more than happy to endure a moment of inconvenience
for a tasty reward. Since this will be a new thing for her, I'd bring
out the heavy artillery and use prime treats like tuna and chicken or
similar.

If you are feeling guilty about keeping her in the bathroom, don't. Two
weeks out of a lifetime is nothing, especially when the reason is to
help her. If you do want to bring her out, get a walking jacket (a
regular harness is not appropriate for a feral and these are much better
anyway) and get her used to wearing one.
http://www.hdw-inc.com/walkingjackets.htm I use these when I first start
bringing a feral I am socializing out of the cage and start integrating
them into the household. They have more freedom than a cage, but I have
them on a leash so they can't run away and they learn with time that,
whether I'm sitting or moving around, I'm not a threat outside of the
cage either.

While using this method does not guarantee they will become lapcats, I
have found that when I do have to pick them up it's not a half hour
ordeal and I usually can get them fairly quickly if I move slowly and
gently. The key is to never give them the freedom of large spaces until
you can make reasonable progress handling and moving around them on a
regular basis. The above would be a good exercise for you to work on
with the cat for a few weeks while she's getting meds. HTH.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing