Installing a cat door

Old November 17th 05, 06:22 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Installing a cat door

Just curious: Which stores sell cat doors, and also install it? How
much would the total cost be (installation in an existing door)? I have
no skills myself and don't want an ugly looking botched up job. I live
in cold climate so it is even more importat that it is done right.

Old November 17th 05, 07:35 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Ajanta" wrote in message
Just curious: Which stores sell cat doors,

Petsmart/Petco and most pet stores.

and also install it? How
much would the total cost be (installation in an existing door)? I have
no skills myself and don't want an ugly looking botched up job. I live
in cold climate so it is even more importat that it is done right.

The pet doors come in a kit with a template for cutting out the hole and
making screw locations. You don't need any special skills or tools- just a
drill and a cutting bit (the bit might cost you $10). Tape the template to
the door where you want the hole and trace the outline and screw holes.
Then just follow the line with drill. The cutting bit also makes the
starting hole so you don't have change bits. If you can follow a line, you
can install a pet door. The hole doesn't have to be perfect because the pet
door frame will cover any mistakes.

I saw this on one of my cat videos and thought you would get a kick out of
it. Its the perfect solution to your problem: ;-)

http://www.maxshouse.com/misc/Cat-Knock-.jpg

Old November 17th 05, 08:46 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Phil P. wrote:

: I saw this on one of my cat videos and thought you would get a kick
: out of it. Its the perfect solution to your problem: ;-)
:
: http://www.maxshouse.com/misc/Cat-Knock-.jpg

Cute! My thanks to you and all others for the rest of the info.

My current practice of leaving the door open a few inches was working
fine as long as temperatures were only moderately cold, but it is
winning me no friends now that we have seen low 20's along with strong
winds on a few days. So, just toying with options.
Old November 17th 05, 10:00 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Ajanta wrote:
I live
in cold climate so it is even more importat that it is done right.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING LETTING YOU'RE CAT OUTSIDE ANYWAYS!!!
HUH HUH!!!

and Phil's bald ass! sitting up here encouraging you!

tcht tcht thct!!!

Old November 17th 05, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I need to install one in the door between the kitchen and garage. I've
been leaving it open but with utility bills skyrocketing I need every
trick I can find.

Old November 17th 05, 11:11 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

whitershadeofpale wrote:

: WHAT ARE YOU DOING LETTING YOU'RE CAT OUTSIDE
: ANYWAYS!!! HUH HUH!!!
: and Phil's bald ass! sitting up here encouraging you!

She is not my cat, but a homeless one I have fed for a few months. In
warmer days she used to find me doing something in the porch. Now it is
too cold for me to hang out there, and while she tends to arrive
between 3-5pm she can't time it to the minute---indeed, one day it was
raining hard in the afternoon and she showed up at 9!---and has to wait
however long it takes me to notice her arrival. So I am thinking of
ways to eliminate or lessen her wait in the cold.

Phil, as usual, is trying to help someone help a cat.
Old November 17th 05, 11:21 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Ajanta wrote:
So I am thinking of
ways to eliminate or lessen her wait in the cold.

Phil, as usual, is trying to help someone help a cat.

Ah...bless your heart! That's right, I think you told about this cat
before..
you was worried you might miss her feeding if you don't know she's out
there.

Yes, Phil is a good man!

I installed one of the doors before. The install I did was in the
satellite panel just beside the door. (alot thinner) but you will need
a jigsaw, or sawzall, or reciprocating saw.

Hopefully your door is not made of metal

Old November 17th 05, 11:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Teddy wrote:
I need to install one in the door between the kitchen and garage.

have you thought about using a 20 LB sledge hammer? hehehe

PING!

Old November 17th 05, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I had one installed into my garage for a stray cat. I don't remember how
much it was to install, but it has been well worth it. It has been about 5
years now and he loves it!! He's now our cat, by the way.
Gail