Homemade catfood?

Old May 21st 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ken Knecht

Default Homemade catfood?

If you are making your own cat food, what is your cat's favorite catfood?
I've been feeding raw ground turkey. At first she ate it for a few days,
then refused it. I tried again after a week and she ate only about 2/3 of
it. Next day I tried leaving the supplements - calcium, B-complex, Vit E,
and other stuff - off and she ate it all. Last night I tried her on a
little mixed fried chicken livers, tomatoes, peppers, onions and rice I
was having for supper and she ate that. So evidently it's the supplements
she doesn't like, not the food. How do you smuggle them into the food and
what do you use?

I ordered some stuff suggested in a book on cat nutrition I'm using -
bone meal, brewer's yeast, lethicin, cod liver oil, Udo Choice oil (omega
3 & 6 & other essential oils), taurine, etc. and will experiment with
that. I had been using ground up calcium, E, and B-complex that I take,
and some mixed supplements I got at the pet store.

How do you successfully do it?

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

Old May 21st 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Why don't you try a premade raw diet? That way you won't have to worry
about adding the correct supplements. I buy Nature's Variety raw
(frozen). It's formed into small nugget shapes, so it's easy to take
out as may as you need.

www.naturesvariety.com

(not affiliated with the company, but a satisfied customer)

Rene

Old May 21st 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ken Knecht

"Rene S." wrote in news:1179756360.879155.308210
@n15g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

Why don't you try a premade raw diet? That way you won't have to worry
about adding the correct supplements. I buy Nature's Variety raw
(frozen). It's formed into small nugget shapes, so it's easy to take
out as may as you need.

www.naturesvariety.com

(not affiliated with the company, but a satisfied customer)

Rene

Thanks.

Unfortunately, no retailers in my area. I live in SW AZ and the nearest are
in CA, in towns I never heard of so they can't be very close. Too bad.
Sounds like a good product and perhaps the answer to my quest.

Old May 21st 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PawsForThought

My cats favorite meal is quail. I buy 4 in a package and then use a
poultry shears to cut it up into manageable pieces. Their favorite
ground meat right now is turkey but that will usually change as I find
they go through phases of liking different meats. I feed a specific
meat for 2 or 3 days then rotate. The key to a really good raw diet
is variety. If you feed only one or two meats, the cat can get tired
of it. My cats like venison, ostrich and beef as well. My cats have
been fed raw since they were kittens. I know it's a lot harder when
switching over an adult cat. Are you following a speicific recipe
i.e. the supplements? Raw meat has different supplement requirements
that processed cooked food so it's good to follow a recipe. I use a
pestal and mortor to grind the supplements into a powder. Then I put
each meal's supplements in a 3 oz paper cup. When it's time to feed
them, I add about a tablespoon of water to the powdered supps and stir
it well. Then I add it to the meat. I use ground eggshell powder I
make from organic eggs as my calcium source. As another option for
you, Feline Future sells a powdered supplement that you just add to
the meat. All the math has been done for you so it makes feeding a
raw diet very easy. I would also really recommend joining one of the
raw feeding groups where there are mentors who've been feeding raw for
a long time, and who can really help someone starting out with a raw
diet. If you're interested, email me and I can send you some links.

Lauren

Old May 21st 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Unfortunately, no retailers in my area. I live in SW AZ and the nearest are
in CA, in towns I never heard of so they can't be very close. Too bad.
Sounds like a good product and perhaps the answer to my quest.

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Maybe you can check with a local pet store to see if they might start
stocking it? The store where I get mine from sells it out like
hotcakes. Or perhaps a health food store would stock it?

Old May 21st 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"Ken Knecht" wrote in message
Last night I tried her on a
little mixed fried chicken livers, tomatoes, peppers, onions and rice

-----------
I just wanted to comment on this point - Onions (and garlic and
raisins/grapes) are all really bad for cats. Onions and garlic will give the
cat anemia. Raisins/grapes can kill the cat. Please don't feed your cat any
more onions (either raw or cooked).
Best regardsm
---Cindy S.

Old May 21st 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On May 21, 1:59 pm, "cindys" wrote:
"Ken Knecht" wrote in message

... Last night I tried her on a
little mixed fried chicken livers, tomatoes, peppers, onions and rice

-----------
I just wanted to comment on this point - Onions (and garlic and
raisins/grapes) are all really bad for cats. Onions and garlic will give the
cat anemia. Raisins/grapes can kill the cat. Please don't feed your cat any
more onions (either raw or cooked).
Best regardsm
---Cindy S.

Cindy,

Wow, I missed that! You are indeed correct.

Old May 22nd 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PawsForThought

On May 21, 1:40 pm, "Rene S." wrote:
Unfortunately, no retailers in my area. I live in SW AZ and the nearest are
in CA, in towns I never heard of so they can't be very close. Too bad.
Sounds like a good product and perhaps the answer to my quest.

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Maybe you can check with a local pet store to see if they might start
stocking it? The store where I get mine from sells it out like
hotcakes. Or perhaps a health food store would stock it?

I've seen the Nature's Variety at Whole Foods but I don't think it was
their raw one. I did see a frozen raw food called something like
Country Pet there though. I've never tried it so I can't comment.

Old May 22nd 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PawsForThought

I found the Country Pet website. I guess if you join, they send you a
free gift (maybe a coupon for free food??) Renee, have you ever heard
of this food?

http://www.countrypet.com/free.asp

Old May 22nd 07, 12:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Olux

Hi ken
I'm giving since two month with success raw food for my cat .
I'm using the receip givin in raisin your cat naturally from Michelle
Bernard. No vegetable at all. Cat are strick carnivore
I use chicken tighs with the bone, chicken hart, liver, egg yolk, water ,
taurine, salmon oil, vit B complex and Vit E and very little kelp and dulse,
That's all

You can find a similar receip here
http://www.catinfo.org/makingcatfood...he_Ingredients

Since, no more **** and urinary problem. His furs is now beautiful and he is
more playfull and he is back in his litter for hs poops