Fleas?

Old September 30th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Richard Evans

Default Fleas?

We have six cats, all indoor-only. One, a short haired tortie named
Motley, is very skittish and hard to get a hand on. A couple of weeks
ago I noticed a patch of fur on her back that was not laying smoothly.
It took me a while to get a hold of her, and when I ran my hand down
her back it felt matted, I eventually got her to hold still long
enough to run a flea comb over her and it picked up tufts of hair and
a lot of black crud that looked like flea dander, though no actual
fleas.

It's been a couple of weeks and it's happening again. Last night I ran
a flea comb through her with the same results, but I wasn't able to
hold her still long enough for a close examination.

Arguing against it being fleas:

- None of the others have them.
- I haven't actually seen any on her.
- The hair that's brushed out does not leave any bald spots.
- It's only evident on one spot

In favor:

- Well, I just don't know what else it could be.

Any ideas? I hate to take her to the vet because A: it would
traumatize her and B: I never get out of the vet's office for less
than a hundred bucks.
Old September 30th 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bobblespin[_2_]

Richard Evans wrote in
:

[...]

What my vet does at every examination is shake the fur of the cat
vigorously while on the table, then she sprays water over the table (a
gentle mist with a spray bottle). She then waits 2-3 minutes and if the
specks turn to blood, then you have flea poo. Try that.

Bobble
Old October 1st 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

On 30 Sep, 22:10, bobblespin wrote:
Richard Evans wrote :

[...]

Bobble- Hide quoted text -

Where abouts is the patch that you checked?
( where the fur wouldn't lie down I mean?)

Good Thinking Bobblespin BTW!

The only other thing I can think of that it *might* be is Acne. That
is normally found around the lower jaw in my experience though.

However, I am a poor substitute for a vet. If it doesn't clear up,
best take her to have her checked over, just to be sure of course.
Good Luck,
Sheelagh "o"

Old October 1st 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Richard Evans

"Sheelagh o" wrote:

Where abouts is the patch that you checked?
( where the fur wouldn't lie down I mean?)

On her spine, about two thirds of the way to her tail. Very localized.

However, I am a poor substitute for a vet. If it doesn't clear up,
best take her to have her checked over, just to be sure of course.

For lack of a more compelling diagnosis, I guess we'll dose her with
Frontline and see what happens.

PLEASE HELP! Fleas, fleas, FLEAS! EADGBE Cat health & behaviour 22 January 15th 07 05:18 PM
fleas, Help!! [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 3 October 3rd 06 01:27 AM
Fleas? or something else? carlene Cat health & behaviour 2 February 23rd 05 01:43 AM
fleas Jenni G. Cat health & behaviour 24 July 19th 04 07:43 PM
Fleas all over Tang Cheng Yuen Cat rescue 2 July 14th 04 04:19 PM