(OT) My Toilet Overfloweth

Old August 27th 09, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default (OT) My Toilet Overfloweth

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I had a problem with the toilet in my master bathroom last week.
It wouldn't flush. Oh, it flushed, but then it threatend to
overflow. So I stopped using it. I put off calling a plumber,
thinking okay, I have two bathrooms. That was my mistake. (I made
the same mistake when I had my apartment in TN.)

I should have known better. Suddenly this morning I heard the
sound of rushing water. I went into the bedroom and looked at the
master bathroom... oh crap! Water (clean water) was rushing out
of the toilet, flooding the bathroom floor! It was at least 2
inches deep. Two of the bathroom mats I bought were literally
floating towards the vanity area and now the carpet is soaked.
YIKES! The matching mat for under Persia litterbox was almost
soaked; it was saved by the weight of the litterbox; only got half
wet, but there was litter all over the tile floor. It's a good
thing I'd cleaned the litterbox this morning!

I waded in (literally) and shut off the valve under the toilet.
Then I immediately called the plumber. I have a flood emergency!
They sent someone out within 40 minutes.

The plumber brought in a big auger and snaked the toilet. He got
it to flush (7 times). We checked the other bathroom, the
kitchen, the laundry room. He said he thinks it will be okay.
And the charge was very minimal for a plumber coming out on such
short notice.

But there was still a lot of water all over the tile floor. We
were literally splashing in it. He asked me if I own a shop vac.
Nope. I said I'm going to put down a bunch of old towels and
sheets, then wring the water out into the bathtub. He said,
"Sounds okay to me!" And he didn't charge me much of anything.

[Note to self: buy a shop vac.]

Persia, smart girl that she is, didn't get at all upset about
suddenly finding her litterbox by the front entryway on a dry
towel instead of in the master bathroom. She's a very easy going
cat! (smile)

Jill

A rug steam cleaner will also pick up quite a bit of water, and I
find it more useful to have around than the shop vac.

Jo

Old August 27th 09, 05:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Jofirey" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

For the time being I've sopped up the water on the carpet with a heavy towel
and am directing a fan on it to dry it out. If that doesn't work I'll have
to have it ripped up and replaced. That might not be a bad thing, since I
really don't like having carpet in front of the sinks. It's a pretty stupid
idea if you think about it. I could have them put down tile instead. If
the price is right.

Now I remember why I didn't want to own a house.

Jill

Old August 27th 09, 01:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA[_2_]

jmcquown kirjoitti:
"Jofirey" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

They install carpet on the floor of a bathroom?? And no floor drain??
That's weird. We usually have tiled floors or vinyl floor covering in
bathrooms and toilets, with a floor drain. And the floor "leaning"
towards the drain so any water on the floor flows towards and down the
drain.

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old August 27th 09, 02:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Christine BA" wrote in message
jmcquown kirjoitti:
For the time being I've sopped up the water on the carpet with a heavy
towel and am directing a fan on it to dry it out. If that doesn't work
I'll have to have it ripped up and replaced. That might not be a bad
thing, since I really don't like having carpet in front of the sinks.
It's a pretty stupid idea if you think about it. I could have them put
down tile instead. If the price is right.

Now I remember why I didn't want to own a house.

Jill

They install carpet on the floor of a bathroom?? And no floor drain??
That's weird. We usually have tiled floors or vinyl floor covering in
bathrooms and toilets, with a floor drain. And the floor "leaning" towards
the drain so any water on the floor flows towards and down the drain.

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

It's typical in the US, Christine. Doesn't make a lot of sense, at least
not to my way of thinking And no, there were/are no floor drains. A
floor drain would have been very helpful in this situation!

Jill

Old August 27th 09, 02:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Christine BA wrote:
jmcquown kirjoitti:
"Jofirey" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

We don't have floor drains in the UK, I've often though they would be a good
idea.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old August 27th 09, 02:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Adrian" wrote in message
om...
Christine BA wrote:
jmcquown kirjoitti:
They install carpet on the floor of a bathroom?? And no floor drain??
That's weird. We usually have tiled floors or vinyl floor covering in
bathrooms and toilets, with a floor drain. And the floor "leaning"
towards the drain so any water on the floor flows towards and down the
drain.

We don't have floor drains in the UK, I've often though they would be a
good idea.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

The only place I remember floor drains was in Bangkok. They were in the
kitchen and the tiled bathrooms. (No carpet!) They're a wonderful idea but
they haven't caught on here. Apparently not there in the UK, either. It's
a good idea, though!

Jill

Old August 27th 09, 02:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 26, 11:26*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
"Jofirey" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Jill- Hide quoted text -

Jill, you might check with your insurance policy. We had a bathroom
flood
much like yours, and they paid to have the carpet, and tile replaced,
and
the they had professionals come in, rip up the carpet and put huge
fans
so that the the water damage wouldn't affect the walls/woodwork and
things
unseen wouldn't get water damage or mold.
It was a nightmare.

Sherry
Old August 27th 09, 03:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nan

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 00:26:50 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

"Jofirey" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Ah, yes! The joys of home ownership. You might want to check your
homeowners insurance if you have to replace the carpet. Mine replaced
a freezer when the sump pump in the basement quit working and I had a
flood in the basement.
Old August 27th 09, 05:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

jmcquown kirjoitti:
"Jofirey" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Makes sense to me, but I've never seen a floor drain in a residence
anywhere in the US. Can't be a building code problem, because
nearly all public restrooms seem to have them.

Bathroom carpet became a 'thing' in the US in the 1960's. You could
buy these big rolls of fluffy carpet and cut it to fit. Initially
it was pretty nice. Especially since it was usually covering very
old linoleum or ancient tile. You didn't get your tosies all cold
in the morning. Of course it didn't stay pretty nice for very long.

Jo

Old August 27th 09, 06:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Jofirey" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I need to start thinking like a homeowner, don't I? I just reported the
claim and we'll see what they say. Thanks, Sherry!

Jill