OT - Balloon Releases and Such

Old March 28th 10, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joani H

Default OT - Balloon Releases and Such

Always in search of ways to celebrate, honor or whatever over the
years I've run up against the things that we can no longer do, or
shouldn't do and the like. Around here throwing rice after a wedding
is verboten because the rice can cause a serious eye injury, can cause
harm to some of the wildlife, and is a pain in the butt for the Church
folk that have to clean it up. The eye injury and clean up part holds
true for throwing bird seed - though cleaning up is more bird doo
which actually can be hazardous if one breathes in the spores it
throws off. Know about the balloon release issues too - living on
Lake Erie most of my life, well, they frowned on that way back.
Confetti, well, no, back to the eye injury and clean up issues.

Sooo, back when my son and my now DIL were planning their wedding they
planned a butterfly release. I took on the job of raising the Monarch
pupae. This turned out to be quite a task. The blessed day arrived.
The wedding party emerged from the chapel. All the guests were handed
a small white box and instructed not to open the box until told to do
so...

And it went like this...the signal was given. Keeping the contents of
the box a secret, BAD idea. A number of guests, Men, Women and
children screamed. They weren't expecting something live to fly out
of the box.

Then the horrific screams began. NOBODY, but NOBODY had given any
thought to all the birds that were perched on the chapel spires and
roof. We have LOTS of footage of wedding party and guests screaming
and running about as the birds swooped down to enjoy the free lunch we
had graciously supplied. And talk about bird poop. Oh my goodness!

For us we've ruled out: rice, confetti, balloons, bird seed, and, of
course, butterflies.

Joani
Old March 28th 10, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joani H wrote:

[...]

I'm sure that was absolutely no fun to experience, but LOL! That story
was funny. Thanks for the entertainment along with the valuable warning.
That should be published somewhere.

Joyce

--
Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful
stroke of luck. -- the Dalai Lama
Old March 28th 10, 02:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_5_]

bastXXXette
Joani H wrote:

[...]

Oh. I agree. That was a wonderful story.
Perhaps in Reader's Digest?

I had always thought of birdseed instead of rice, but never thot of the
hungry birds aftermath.. Wait.maybe I read it wrong..the birds were feasting
on Butterflies?,
Wonder what can safely be tossed?
Snowballs are out at weddings..pine cones wuld hurt, I can't think of
anything ATM

Kyla

..

Old March 28th 10, 02:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine Burel[_2_]

Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA

Oh, Joani, that was a priceless image - ROFLOL!
Christine

Old March 28th 10, 03:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
catlady

On Mar 27, 7:46*pm, Joani H wrote:
[...]

I think at this point a nice round of applause as the newlyweds exit
the building is good enough. Since the divorce rate these days is 50%
it seems mass encouragement is more important than throwing stuff! :-)
Old March 28th 10, 03:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Joani H" wrote in message
[...]

Funny if you weren't there. I'd have never thought of that problem.

I decided releasing and throwing things was a really bad idea after
watching the opening ceremonies of the Olympics in Seoul Korea with
my daughter. After the flame was lit they released a huge number of
white doves. Unfortunately a number of them proceeded to fly
directly into the Olympic flame.

I'll give the media credit on that one. They didn't comment or
replay the scene.

Jo

Old March 28th 10, 03:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Joani H wrote:
[...]

In this area it is common to use bubbles instead of rice. Small bottles
filled with bubble mix are supplied to guests and the children (all
ages) really have fun. MLB
Old March 28th 10, 05:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_5_]

I thought of those as well.
I've seen people blow bubbles too Kyla

Old March 28th 10, 07:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Joani H wrote:

[...]

Reminds me of an old song:

I'm forever blowing bubbles
Pretty bubbles in the air,
They fly so high
They reach the sky
Then just like my dreams
They fade and die.

Anybody know the rest?

Best wishes for a brighter tomorrow!!! MLB