OT - Balloon Releases and Such

Old March 28th 10, 07:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default OT - Balloon Releases and Such

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 13:27:13 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

I'm reminded of an episode of 'Two and a Half Men' (Charlie Sheen) where his
mother was getting married and they had frozen butterflies. Allegedly if
they were frozen alive then thawed they would still be alive (which is about
as ridiculous an idea as Walt Disney having his head frozen so he could be
brought back to life in the 21st century.)

Reminiscent of the classic WKRP episode about distributing live
Thanksgiving turkeys by throwing them out of a helicopter:

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
Old March 28th 10, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

I'm reminded of an episode of 'Two and a Half Men' (Charlie Sheen) where
his
mother was getting married and they had frozen butterflies. Allegedly if
they were frozen alive then thawed they would still be alive (which is
about
as ridiculous an idea as Walt Disney having his head frozen so he could be
brought back to life in the 21st century.)

Reminiscent of the classic WKRP episode about distributing live
Thanksgiving turkeys by throwing them out of a helicopter:

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

"Oh, the humanity!" Less Nessman (he of the Silver Sow Award) really did
think turkeys could fly. LOL

Of course the quote was stolen from the report by Herbert Morrison, WLS
Chicago, about the crash of the Hindenburg (aka LZ-129). It crashed in a
field across the street in 1937 from where I lived in Lakehurst, NJ. I
actually lived in what was the waiting room for arriving passengers. (It
was converted to base housing in the 1950's.) If you see him standing on
the grass in those old newsreels, or going inside to take a break... that
was my front yard in 1965. And that was my house.

Jill

Old March 28th 10, 07:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joani H

On Mar 27, 9:26*pm, "Kyla =^..^=" wrote:
bastXXXette

Joani H wrote:

Always in search of ways to celebrate, honor or whatever over the
years I've run up against the things that we can no longer do, or
shouldn't do and the like. *Around here throwing rice after a wedding
is verboten because the rice can cause a serious eye injury, can cause
harm to some of the wildlife, and is a pain in the butt for the Church
folk that have to clean it up. *The eye injury and clean up part holds
true for throwing bird seed - though cleaning up is more bird doo
which actually can be hazardous if one breathes in the spores it
throws off. * Know about the balloon release issues too - living on
Lake Erie most of my life, well, they frowned on that way back.
Confetti, well, no, back to the eye injury and clean up issues.

Sooo, back when my son and my now DIL were planning their wedding they
planned a butterfly release. *I took on the job of raising the Monarch
pupae. *This turned out to be quite a task. *The blessed day arrived.
The wedding party emerged from the chapel. *All the guests were handed
a small white box and instructed not to open the box until told to do
so...

And it went like this...the signal was given. *Keeping the contents of
the box a secret, BAD idea. A number of guests, Men, Women and
children screamed. *They weren't expecting something live to fly out
of the box.

Then the horrific screams began. *NOBODY, but NOBODY had given any
thought to all the birds that were perched on the chapel spires and
roof. *We have LOTS of footage of wedding party and guests screaming
and running about as the birds swooped down to enjoy the free lunch we
had graciously supplied. *And talk about bird poop. *Oh my goodness!

For us we've ruled out: rice, confetti, balloons, bird seed, and, of
course, butterflies.

I'm sure that was absolutely no fun to experience, but LOL! That story
was funny. Thanks for the entertainment along with the valuable warning..
That should be published somewhere.

Joyce

Oh. I agree. *That was a wonderful story.
Perhaps in Reader's Digest?

I had always thought of birdseed instead of rice, but never thot of the
hungry birds aftermath.. Wait.maybe I read it wrong..the birds were feasting
on Butterflies?,
Wonder what can safely be tossed?
Snowballs are out at weddings..pine cones wuld hurt, I can't think of
anything ATM

Kyla

.

--
Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful
stroke of luck. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- the Dalai Lama- Hide quoted text -

Indeed the birds feasted on the hapless butterflies We had
released 250 butterflies in a relatively small, somewhat enclosed
space which added to the mayhem. We did pass this fiasco back to the
company that supplied the pupae with the suggestion they add the
warning to their brochure. *Now*, watching the video, it's funny,
because all you see are a bunch of people all decked out in their
finery screaming and dashing about with birds swooping and diving
which is funny. The butterfly carnage is not apparent - thank
goodnes!

Joani
Old March 28th 10, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_5_]

"moonglow minnow"
Kyla =^..^= wrote:
I thought of those as well.
I've seen people blow bubbles too Kyla

That's what they did at my sister's wedding. Really low clean-up as long
as it's outside, totally harmless if it's glycerin bubbles, and very
pretty. The kids love it, too.

minnow ^..^

I used to watch A Wedding Story on TLC and they did that a lot

I was afraid kids would get soap bubbles in their eyes and would start
screaming.
I am all for NOT bringing very small children and babies to weddings
because they can be so disruptive..
Ages say five and over is okay, but someone needs to take care of the
littler ones...
I have seen too many weddings disrupted by
small kids/screaming babies acting up during the ceremony, and ruining it.

Same for the reception..kids sticking their fingers into the cake
before it has been 'cut'.

Kyla

--
http://twitter.com/taheenahana
http://www.flickr.com/photos/minnow/

Old March 28th 10, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_5_]

"Joani H" ...

snip
Indeed the birds feasted on the hapless butterflies We had
released 250 butterflies in a relatively small, somewhat enclosed
space which added to the mayhem. We did pass this fiasco back to the
company that supplied the pupae with the suggestion they add the
warning to their brochure. *Now*, watching the video, it's funny,
because all you see are a bunch of people all decked out in their
finery screaming and dashing about with birds swooping and diving
which is funny. The butterfly carnage is not apparent - thank
goodnes!

Joani

I never thought about that one..poor butterflies.
I wish I could see that video .
I knew that throwing rice, when digested by birds,
can make their stomachs explode. ewwww
Now 'that's' a clean up mess for sure.

Kyla

Old March 28th 10, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_5_]

"Cheryl"

bastXXXett

I've been to a few weddings where little bottles filled with soap for
bubbles were given to guests, to blow as the bride and groom (or, in
one case, the two brides) exited at the end of the ceremony. Fun and
very pretty.

For a wedding, I vote for silly string. EG

I never even thought of Silly String

Hint: I should probably remove the "OT" from the subject line.
Yes, that's right - blowing bubbles at cats! Great fun!! You get all
kinds of different reactions, from shock and horror to predatory
excitement. Hey, I haven't blown bubbles at my cats for a while, think
I'll go do that now.

I have a bottle of bubbles for cats that is catnip scented. Funny
watching them the first time they see them. But, the thrill runs out
quickly.

Catnip scented bubbles?? wow, never heard of that before.

Kyla

Old March 28th 10, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

wrote:

[...]

That tops when my dad's family lived in Cape Canaveral. Where they
now have the launch pads.

Jo

Old March 29th 10, 01:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I bet that footage would win some money on "American's Funniest Videos".
10,000 for the winning video.

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Adrian" wrote in message
Joani H wrote:
[...]

ROTFL Thanks for the laugh. At least no harm came to the guests or birds
and I'm sure some of the butterflies lived to see another day. Apart from
keeping the box contents secret I think it was a brilliant idea.

--
Adrian (Owned by Bagheera & Shadow)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

I'm reminded of an episode of 'Two and a Half Men' (Charlie Sheen) where
his mother was getting married and they had frozen butterflies. Allegedly
if they were frozen alive then thawed they would still be alive (which is
about as ridiculous an idea as Walt Disney having his head frozen so he
could be brought back to life in the 21st century.) Picture the maid
tossing dead butterflies out of a box on the deck as the cleric said "You
may kiss the bride". Then a flock of seagulls swarmed down and ate the
butterflies.

Jill