Where is everybody??!

Old October 9th 10, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

Default Where is everybody??!

On Oct 9, 7:35*am, Adrian wrote:

j) It is possible to have a private conversation with a Facebook friend
if you wish.

I've chatted to Marina and Pam S on Facebook

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

PS Adrian- the important bit of this response is Whiskas grilled duck
was served 15 minutes ago so Dunzi is washing herself and Sarsi is
having a little patrol of the bedroom and by the sound of it whacking
a few greeblings
Old October 9th 10, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

glad i am not alone, lol, Lee
"Judith Latham" wrote in message
I'm with Lee on this.

It feels like when the large shopping mal opened locally, it killed 7
local towns. Now if I want to buy anything I have to go the Damn awful
place.

I do not want to go to facebook to find my friends. So I beg for you to
sat her on the group.

Judith

In article , Storrmmee
wrote:
i can't explain it at all it honestly creeps me out, don't have an
account, and don't plan on one anytime soon, Lee "CatNipped"
wrote in message
I know I was away for a little while months and months ago, but after
leaving the mothership and rejoining the group I was surprised at how
*few* posts there were to read (relatively compared with how many
posts there used to be here). I know everybody has gotten on the
Facebook train (I just can't get into that - it doesn't *feel* as
intimate as the newsgroup to me)... and I'm *NOT* being sarcastic
here, I really don't understand, but is buying imaginary things in
"Farmville" as satisfying as sitting down for a chat with friends?

Facebook... I've heard that if Facebook were a country it would be one
of the most populous nation on earth. I got very badly "burned" by
something very innocuous that I posted there, and it was my fault
because I forgot that I wasn't just talking to a few friends. Since
then I've been even more circumspect - I only log on to see if
friends or family are OK, and because it's *SO* easy to post pictures
there directly from my cell phone.

Seriously, can someone explain to me the "draw" of Facebook and why so
many people spend *SO* much time on it?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

Old October 9th 10, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

after reading this thread, i have come to the conclusion that besides being
generally creeped out by the whole fb thing, i am too lazy to deal with it,
and back to threads, even when we do something off topic, here we can just
mark read/delete/ignore and go to the thread we want to read, not having
things grouped, which is what i guess fb does, would make me insane, Lee
"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
I agree with most of what you say here. I definitely like the "threads",
and have no interest in reading random comments. That's one reason I'll
never have anything to do with Twitter if I can help it.

--
Joy

Don't believe everything you think

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Let's see if I can explain this...

I like the "threads" in Usenet - it makes it easier for the feeble-minded
folks like me to remember what I was talking about. Just reading random
thoughts, in no specific order, consisting of thousands of important,
dire observations such "I'm bored today" by people I don't really know
makes me aggravated.

My newsreader seems to me instantaneous (some people may take a while to
reply, but they do that on Facebook too) - I post something, hit
"refresh", and there's my post. Also, you can set Outlook Express to
automatically look for new headers in whatever timeframe you'd like.

Most days I find it hard to remember my own, given name - I will *never*
remember everyone else's and I would hate to "slight" anyone just because
of my poor memory and laziness. Plus there's the task of sending a
friend request to each one (and risking rejection - I had my fill of that
in high school).

I *like* the fact that a newsgroup is about one topic, that way I can
read and write only about the things that interest me (besides, when has
*this* group stuck strictly to the subject of cats - LOL).

I do like the ease of uploading pictures (the single reason I even have a
FB account) - but I have my own web site, so missing out on a photo site
wouldn't impact me personally. However, you can only see the photos of
"friends" which leads back to my.

The people I don't want to have anything to do with are in that list for
a reason. ;

I have a "smart phone", but it doesn't do much good when is has a stupid
user. I've had my Droid since last Christmas and still don't know how to
use it properly (it's become a joke for my friends and family, but now
they at least know that I'm not hanging up on them on purpose). It's a
constant source of aggravation for me. Also, the biggest problem I have
with my cell phone is the keyboard that seems to be created for pixies to
use, it certainly doesn't fit my fingers (and it doesn't have a
spell-checker and even with a spell-checker I manage to screw posts up).

And, lastly, I *like* the fact that most people don't know anything about
Usenet - it makes it more intimate for those of us that do (I don't think
I would have as much of a relationship using Facebook as I have the 15+
years I've been on this group.

Again, JMHO.

--

"Yowie" wrote in message
On 9/10/2010 12:51 AM, CatNipped wrote:
[...]

It is sorta kinda like Usenet but:

a) its utterly instantaneous and self updates. Everyone sees posts at
the same time

b) You are in total control of who you see and who sees you

c) There is no 'topic' nor many rules about posting. You have (almost)
complete freedom to say what you want, when you want to whom you want.
(Facebook may step in in extreme cases, but they have to be extreme)

d) You can post photos, videos and music, as well as share links. This
media appears in your feed, rather than having to put a link to it and
click away

e) Everyone gets their own photo album. I have yet to see a limit on the
number of photos (although I assume there is). If you click on a person,
and you have permission, you can look through all their photos whenever
you want. You don't have to keep asking them for a link.

f) Its a great way to stay in contact with people you otherwise wouldn't
have much to do with.

g) If you want subject specific groups, they are also there. They are
very easy to create and manage.

h)If you have a smart phone (like most young folks) you can both send
and receive updates from your phone so you are always in contact with
your friends. iPhones and other smart phones (although not mine) also
have apps that allow you to post to all the popular social media
networks easily.

i) most people have never heard of Usenet, let alone know how to access
it

HTH

Yowie

Old October 9th 10, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

this is the reason my sister uses it, Lee
"kraut" wrote in message
On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 09:09:07 +1100, Yowie
wrote:

[...]

One reason I use it is because I am working on genealogy and you would
be surprise how much info I find on current family member!!

Old October 9th 10, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

this is a part of what creeps me out, Lee
wrote in message
Sherry wrote:

Try hiding "Farmville" and all other games you don't play. Then pare
your
list of friends down (don't un-friend them, just hide them) to a
manageable
group.

That's what I did. At first I friended everyone who knew someone who
knew someone who knew my ex-roommate's cousin's partner's teacher.
I now have about 200 "friends", but only about half of them are people
I've actually met or have corresponded with online at least! So yeah,
I had to pare down. And I don't play any of the games so I've hidden
them all.

I didn't like Facebook so much because I had friends from vastly
different
backgrounds who didn't know each other and that felt weird. It was
like
being at a party with your work friends, your volunteer group friends,
your
online friends, your old high school buddies, your relatives, your
agnostic
friends, your Christian fundamentalist friends.

Interesting - I think that's what I loved best about it, that almost
everyone I knew was on it. There's no other place in my life where that
happens.

I don't go to Facebook so much anymore because I'm annoyed about their
controlling software - if you want to do anything, you have to agree
to allow them to gather all your info and all of your friends' info,
and that just feels too invasive to me. However, I get email notices
from time to time when someone sends me a message or writes on my wall,
etc, and I will go back to reply to that.

Joyce

--
Basically, I feel like the food industry is making us fat so the diet
industry can make us thin. -- Janet

Old October 9th 10, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

i received an invite to become a friend to someone i am on a mailing list
with, trusted person, at the end of the invite, it had both my sisters email
ad, and three other people as possible friends? "people we thnk you already
know" bear in mind we have never had a fb act. and none of these people
would have reason to have me listed on theirs as i have already told them we
aren't getting fb, so how creepy is it that somehow they figured out that i
knew these people, Lee
"Adrian" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
[...]

I prefer Facebook for lots of reasons, I can access it from multiple
computers, people can post pictures and videos. I never play games or sign
up for applications, once you've carefully set up your privacy settings I
see nothing to worry about.

--
Adrian (Owned by Bagheera & Shadow)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old October 9th 10, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

True, but if all my friends are off playing those games, they're not going
to stop just to chat with me (and I don't blame them this, they have every
right to be occupied in their favorite activity, I just miss everybody).

--

"Adrian" wrote in message
Lesley Madigan wrote:
On Oct 8, 6:51 am, "CatNipped" wrote:

Seriously, can someone explain to me the "draw" of Facebook and why so
many
people spend *SO* much time on it?

I use it but not too much- I find the games messages annoying as I
don't play games so I wish people wouldn't try and get to and I really
only glance down it at weekends- I can't get onto it at work obviously
and unless something fairly major is going down I am rarely online
from home in the week- I just spent a day staring at the PC I would
much rather read, eat, watch telly, have a beer, stroke the cats etc

But it has to be said that since I joined I've been in contact with
some very old friends from years ago, we all used to meet in the
"Greengate" in Bethnal Green most weekends and when that closed people
moved away/got married/had kids etc so in July we had a huge get
together- it was great and we're already planning it for next year

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

It's easy to hide all game requests, very soon you see hardly any.

Old October 9th 10, 08:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Yep, that creeps me out too - and the fact that they're always having one
security scandal after the next - and if it already knows your personal
information it doesn't help to put false info on the sign-up form.

Old October 10th 10, 05:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

On 10/10/2010 1:35 AM, Adrian wrote:
Yowie wrote:
[...]

k) and you can also use the IM chat function that works like most other
IM chats (tells you who is on line, and who isn't - totally customisable
so can appear on-line to some and not others - although its kinda flakey.

Yowie
Old October 10th 10, 05:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

On 10/10/2010 5:24 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
i received an invite to become a friend to someone i am on a mailing list
with, trusted person, at the end of the invite, it had both my sisters email
ad, and three other people as possible friends? "people we thnk you already
know" bear in mind we have never had a fb act. and none of these people
would have reason to have me listed on theirs as i have already told them we
aren't getting fb, so how creepy is it that somehow they figured out that i
knew these people, Lee

Not creepy at all. All it does is recommend people who your friends
know. For example, some of my friends on Facebook are Adrian, Marina and
Joyce. Adrian, Marina and Joyce are all friends with Pam Shirk, so it
stands to reason that I probably know Pam Shirk too, so Facebook
suggests that I might be friends with Pam Shirk. Nothing creepy about it
at all. It will also recommend people who I don't know, but they are
friends of friends. Using your friends-of-friends network is a great way
of finding people you've lost touch with.

But if you don't like Facebook, don't use it. Its not a /necessity/ in life.

Yowie