Please help

Old August 29th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Please help

Christina Websell wrote:

Myself, my gut feeling is that it is Ms Brain Tumour again. First we have
Munchausen's Syndrome (I am very sick) and now we have Munchausen's
Syndrome by proxy (my child is sick, my pet is sick.)
It's a mental illness. I have come across it several times through my work.
In MSBP the parent will often deliberately cause their child's illness by
administering inappropriate substances so they can be admitted to hospital.
The latest case we had, a two year old had to have a colostomy due to what
her mother was doing to her.

Horrible. I was friends with a woman for a while (we met in a chorus)
whose mother used her in that way when she was a child. She is quite
messed up emotionally. In fact, she does things that alienate her friends,
such as borrowing huge amounts of money and not paying it back, which is
why I am no longer friends with her. Still, I really felt for her when she
would tell me how her mother tied her up, drugged her, and poisoned her to
make her sick. shudder Very creepy.

The idea that someone would do that to their pet is too upsetting to even
contemplate.

She was removed from her care, placed with an uncle and is now doing well.
She is now 4 and her colostomy has been reversed. She's doing just great.

I'm so glad to hear this. Most are not so lucky.

My hope is that some cure can be found for Munchausens. I doubt it.

I prefer to think that anyone can have hope, if they want to get better
and they really work at it. I'm sure some people will say I'm overly
idealistic, but considering how long and how hard I've worked on my own
emotional stuff, and how difficult it is to change and overcome these
things, I can easily fall into despair about it. If I had to accept the
idea that I'm just stuck this way and there's no hope for improvement,
I don't think my life would be worth living.

Now if someone isn't willing to do anything about their destructive
patterns, then I might accept that there isn't much hope for them,
unless they change their mind and decide to get help. You certainly
can't force someone to change against their will.

Joyce
Old August 29th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

On Mon 28 Aug 2006 07:51:40p, Christina Websell wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

In MSBP the parent will often deliberately cause their child's
illness by administering inappropriate substances so they can be
admitted to hospital.

When I first heard the term as related to pets, I was so afraid
that my vet or the techs would think of me in those terms -- I am
one of those that take my cats to the vet often. I think I'm just
cursed with having cats with health problems, or even just
something that seems too uncomfortable for them to have to "live
with". I won't let mine be denied comfort even from an itch that
they can't get rid of. I know many people who don't take pets to
the vet for itching.

The latest case we had, a two year old had
to have a colostomy due to what her mother was doing to her.

That is just horrible. I'm so glad she was taken out of that
household.

--
Cheryl