Bad News About Archer

Old October 21st 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn

Default Bad News About Archer

CatNipped wrote:
The vet just called and said that when they got the cast off they saw that
the skin on his leg was almost flayed - there's even one spot where the skin
is gone completely! They're going to keep him over the weekend so they can
leave the cast off and allow his leg to heal a bit. She said that they will
have to put another cast on because, even though the bone is healing nicely
it's still not strong enough for him to go without one.

I'm so upset - I didn't even know he was in pain! I know how much it hurts
when I've rubbed a blister on my foot but still have to walk around in the
same shoes all day - I can't even imagine how bad he much have been hurting.
I'm just sick about this. I'm second guessing myself now about agreeing to
leave him at the vet - I know they'll check on him, but he'll be there alone
and they have more than just him to see to. They're closed now so I can't
get them to say I've changed my mind.

Please, please send some healing purrs to my poor baby - and some good
thoughts to let him know that I didn't abandon him in a strange place, alone
and in pain!

{{{{CatNipped}}}}

Revving up all the purr motors here that Archer heals soon and can come
home. Purrs for you, too, to ease your worries.

Ginger-lyn

--
Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
Old October 21st 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

He will be okay CN. His life is not in danger. It might not be very
pleasant for him for a bit but it's not going to leave him crippled or
risk his life.

There are some good points here, that at the vet's he might have some
of the p*ss & vinegar taken out of him, so he will be quieter with
that injured leg, and they can make sure it heals right and that he
doesn't overdo it. Then they can give him a comfier cast on Monday.

Kumani didn't like being at the vet's so much when she was sick, but
there they could give her IV and if she threw a fit from her fever
they would be right on hand to give medicine if she needed it.
Nocturne stayed at the vet when she had her hernia so that she would
be on hand for the vet to operate ASAP the next day (They were going
to make her wait 2 days! but by leaving her there, we got her in
within 24 hours...and before you yell at the vet, SEVERAL other vets
said she was just sore from her spay, when in fact she had split her
stitches inside!)

I think you are probably taking it worse than he is.

Purrs for both of you. Archer will be just fine.

--Fil

Old October 21st 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Oct 20, 2:35 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
[...]

Purrs for both of you from all of us. Many cats sleep through this
sort of situation and he is better off without the temptation to try
to do his normal thing all the time.

Rest and healing for Archer and peace of mind for you.

Will in New Haven

--

"Salad is what FOOD eats."- my friend JoAnne, I don't know where she
got it.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 21st 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
bobblespin[_2_]

jbhajos wrote in
news

Oh, poor little guy. Sending whatever purrs Hobo can muster along
with
best wishes for all of you. I sympathize with you, Lori, I know how
you feel leaving him at the vet's. Hobo had such a horrible time when
left overnight in February (almost killed him, *literally*) and he's
never gotten over his terror. I've sworn I'll never let him spend
another night, would rather rush him to the ER if we have to. Anyway,
good luck to the little fellow, he's having such a rough time. Hugs.

Jeanne

Gee, Jeanne, what a thing to tell Lori right now!

Bobble
Old October 21st 07, 02:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"CatNipped" wrote in message
The vet just called and said that when they got the cast off they saw that
the skin on his leg was almost flayed - there's even one spot where the
skin is gone completely! They're going to keep him over the weekend so
they can leave the cast off and allow his leg to heal a bit. She said
that they will have to put another cast on because, even though the bone
is healing nicely it's still not strong enough for him to go without one.

I have to wonder, they can keep him at the vet without the cast on, and you
have been keeping him in a crate at home. That sounds like he ought to be
able to be at home without the cast as well. Especially since he is having
such a problem with it.

But I'm sure that has occurred to them and to you already.

Old October 21st 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"jofirey" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
The vet just called and said that when they got the cast off they saw
that the skin on his leg was almost flayed - there's even one spot where
the skin is gone completely! They're going to keep him over the weekend
so they can leave the cast off and allow his leg to heal a bit. She said
that they will have to put another cast on because, even though the bone
is healing nicely it's still not strong enough for him to go without one.

I have to wonder, they can keep him at the vet without the cast on, and
you have been keeping him in a crate at home. That sounds like he ought
to be able to be at home without the cast as well. Especially since he is
having such a problem with it.

But I'm sure that has occurred to them and to you already.

I think the cage we have is the problem. I wanted him to have as much room
as possible since I knew he had to stay confined for six weeks, so we bought
the biggest dog kennel Ben could find at PetsMart. It's big enough for him
to climb up the inside and I think that's how he got the idea to shed his
cast - he would get in wedged in the bars and then twist around and pull his
leg. I think that's how he got his skin so flayed - all the twisting and
tugging kept scraping the inside of the cast against his leg.

I did ask the vet about us buying a smaller cage (one the size of the vet's
cages), but she still thought he'd be better there - I think because they
can give him injections of pain medication (at least I hope so, I was so
rattled when I talked to her that I didn't ask nearly enough questions, and
then when I thought of them it was too late, they were closed for the
weekend).

I've been sobbing off and on all day, second-guessing myself, but that's not
doing a whole heck of a lot of good, so I just have to try to convince
myself that he's best off there. You guys have been helping me a lot with
that, so I really am grateful for all the support and purrs.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 21st 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
PatM

On Oct 20, 12:35 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
The vet just called and said that when they got the cast off they saw that
the skin on his leg was almost flayed - there's even one spot where the skin
is gone completely! They're going to keep him over the weekend so they can
leave the cast off and allow his leg to heal a bit. She said that they will
have to put another cast on because, even though the bone is healing nicely
it's still not strong enough for him to go without one.

Please, please send some healing purrs to my poor baby - and some good
thoughts to let him know that I didn't abandon him in a strange place, alone
and in pain!

Oh, poor baby! Did they give him something for pain? You know, when
it quiets down there, chances are he'll sleep. It must feel good to
him to have that cast off, no matter what else is going on. It really
is the best place for him to be right now-with the vets and the techs
available to confab with, and to watch for any problems that come up.
Purrs are going out for you and young Archer...now and through these
next weeks...

PatM

Old October 21st 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Being a Mom whether it is to a kid or cat is never easy when you can't "make
it better". Prayers and Purrs for peace and healing to all of you.
ups.com...

Old October 21st 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief

OMGOMGOMG!!!!

I've seen my share of sores caused from casts but I can't imagine what
that must look like.

The poor guy!!! Though I know you must feel bad, I'm sure he is in
good hands at the vet's. I know that as a tech I take cases
especially those when the animal stays overnight very seriously and
you do develop a bond with the animal and the animal eventually learns
to trust you as you give them care and love.

Right now infection would be the biggest worry and I'm sure they have
given him something for the pain.

When he does get better enough to go home, I'd really ask the vet for
some tranquilizers. Acepromazine is something we will prescribe
animals we know to be 'energetic' to help keep them calm so they don't
injure themselves.

big purrs from me and my threesome and purrs for your wallet too.

Kristi

Old October 21st 07, 04:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2007-10-20 13:35:23 -0500, "CatNipped" said:

[...]

Purrs for poor Archer