Car Music?

Old March 6th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

Default Car Music?

"jmcquown"

"Kyla =^..^="
When yer driving, what do you listen to?
We loathe the radio, too many annoying ads..

It's just background noise to me. Lots of times I don't bother with
anything at all. Sometimes I listen to CD's. I like a lot of (original,
not a compilation of regurtitated "hits") motion picture soundtracks even
if I've never seen the film.

I ALWAYS carry a teakwood Kazoo
Kyla

I would imagine driving while playing a Kazoo is as dangerous, if not
moreso, than driving while yakking on a cell phone! LOL

Jill

Well, because of my knees, DH does all the driving. I sit in the passenger
seat and either sing or play the Kazoo. We have pre-paid cell phones we use
only in emergencies or when we go to the store, if we get separated, I can
call him and go to the aisle he's on.
Gah! I have to have my Identity card renewed as it expires next month on my
bithrday. They won't give me a DL, but I have a picture ID. One year, a
long time ago, when they took my piccy, I asked the guy if I could take off
my glasses and cross my eyes for the pix, and he said, 'I don't give a
damn,lady, it's 'your' license, so I did. It was really funny too. If
someone asked me for my DL, I'd show them that pic, they'd look at me, I'd
remove my glasses, and cross my eyes. LOL. I don't have it any more
tho...it got lost somewhere.
Hug
Kyla

Old March 6th 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" ...

jmcquown wrote:

"Kyla =^..^="
When yer driving, what do you listen to?
We loathe the radio, too many annoying ads..

It's just background noise to me. Lots of times I don't bother with
anything at all. Sometimes I listen to CD's. I like a lot of (original,
not a compilation of regurtitated "hits") motion picture soundtracks even
if I've never seen the film.

I ALWAYS carry a teakwood Kazoo
Kyla

I would imagine driving while playing a Kazoo is as dangerous, if not
moreso, than driving while yakking on a cell phone! LOL

Or in a pickup truck with a large dog sitting on your lap, its head
hanging out the driver's window! (I've actually SEEN that, in Phoenix -
when the driver swerved across three lanes, right in front of me, because
he decided he wanted to make a right turn at the intersection a hundred
feet away.)

LOL, geez, the drivers in Seattle are just as crazy.
Kyla
--from nearby Seattle

Old March 6th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

bastXXXette...
jmcquown wrote:

I would imagine driving while playing a Kazoo is as dangerous, if not
moreso, than driving while yakking on a cell phone! LOL

Well, I think you're imagining wrong. "Playing" a kazoo isn't much
different from humming. You're just doing it through a piece of
plastic (or wood, in Kyla's case - oooo, fancy! ), which distorts
the sound.

Exactly

And they can be fun - a few members of my choral group
and I got hold of some kazoos, and proceeded to go through quite a
few numbers in our repertoire before we got sick of ourselves. .

Sounds like a lot of fun

But there's not much to take your attention away from driving. I
definitely vote for the kazoo player over the cellphone chatter on
the road!

Joyce

Like I said earlier, DH does ALL the driving.
Kyla
--no danger to drivers
--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.

Old March 6th 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

"Sherry"
On Mar 6, 7:50 am, "jmcquown"
"Kyla =^..^="

When yer driving, what do you listen to?
We loathe the radio, too many annoying ads..

It's just background noise to me. Lots of times I don't bother with
anything at all. Sometimes I listen to CD's. I like a lot of (original,
not a compilation of regurtitated "hits") motion picture soundtracks even
if
I've never seen the film.

I ALWAYS carry a teakwood Kazoo
Kyla

I would imagine driving while playing a Kazoo is as dangerous, if not
moreso, than driving while yakking on a cell phone! LOL

Jill

I dunno, Jill. Playing a kazoo probably isn't much more distracting
than singing along with the radio. (hopefully only when you're alone in the
car though!)
I had a friend who was pulled over by a city cop because he was
wearingheadphones while driving. I had no idea that was illegal. I suppose
it's because your ability to hear emergency sirens is impaired?

Sherry

Yup, that's probably it.
Kyla

Old March 6th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

I like 80's music as well. But I couldn't listen to Yanni in the car unless
I wanted to fall asleep
Kyla

"NeeCee"
we usually listen to Contemporary Christian music,but sometimes i like to
listen to 50's,60's, & 70's music. i like Yanni too.
"Kyla =^..^="
When yer driving, what do you listen to?
We loathe the radio, too many annoying ads..
DH burned a whole bunch of CDs and today were listening to Cajun music,
the soundtrack from The movie 'The Big Easy'...I loved it
I was getting sick of the B-52's. I ALWAYS carry a teakwood Kazoo I got
about 10 years ago around with me. Everybody should have a Kazoo.
In 2000 I sent plastic kazoos to people on my Floyd group, and when I
send things, I throw in some shiny confetti. One guy in Holland said he
was still 'Hoovering' confetti out of the carpet 7 years later. LOL.
It's not pixie-dust, just the small confetti.
A Kazoo is fun and anybody can 'play' it. Kids toy? HA!!
Hug
Kyla
--hoping my pooter dunt crash again

Old March 6th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"tanadashoes" wrote in
:

"David" wrote in message

Some of my favorite car music:
Masses by William Byrd
Thomas Tallis, Gibbons, Victoria, Schütz, Gabrieli, other Renaissance
stuff
Organ music--J. S. Bach, Franck, Widor, Vierne, Duruflé, etc., etc.,
with a weakness for French 19th century instruments (what a wonderful
roar they produce!)
Ralph Vaughan Williams
Sometimes hymns, well-played and well-sung--but for my hymns are
really participatory--there's nothing for me quite like leading with
my playing an exuberantly-singing congregation.
I'm an organist, so I'm biased towards really great classics.

Oooh oooh, Ralf Vaughan Williams.

I love Sinfonia Antartica.
Old March 6th 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

bastXXXette
NeeCee wrote:
we usually listen to Contemporary Christian music,

To me, "Contemporary Christian Music" is an oxymoron! There's PLENTY of
great Christian music (two millennium's worth), but the sort dubbed
"contemporary" is pure crap - neither "music", nor particularly
"Christian" in its text.

I really disagree! Just because it doesn't follow traditional forms,
doesn't mean it's not Christian. They're singing about Jesus and God -
what's un-Christian about that? You might not like the music, and I
certainly can't argue with another person's preference, but I definitely
consider it to be religious music.

I love the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, my brother in law sings in it.
I am no longer a Mormon tho.
And I also love good 'Black' Gospel music. .

I was just reading an article about CCM, written by an agnostic who
was raised Jewish - so about as far from Christian as one usually gets
in the US. And she was saying that she really enjoyed that music because
it's the only place where you can hear sincere explorations of what
life is about - faith, doubt, hope, love, etc. For a person who likes
pop and rock music, it's hard to find that most of the time - the message
of a lot of popular music these days is pretty bleak. I can really
understand wanting something more than that, but, if you're not able to
relate to more traditional liturgical music, you might look to popular
musical forms instead.

And what's wrong with that? You might not like it yourself, but there's
no reason to be so rigid about what's "real music".

I happen to loathe Rap and Hip Hop. That's not 'real music' to me.
Joyce

Kyla

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.

Old March 6th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

bastXXXettewrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" NeeCee wrote:
we usually listen to Contemporary Christian music,

To me, "Contemporary Christian Music" is an oxymoron! There's PLENTY

of great Christian music (two millennium's worth), but the sort dubbed
"contemporary" is pure crap - neither "music", nor particularly

"Christian" in its text.

I really disagree! Just because it doesn't follow traditional forms,
doesn't mean it's not Christian. They're singing about Jesus and God -
what's un-Christian about that?

You might not like the music, and I
certainly can't argue with another person's preference, but I definitely
consider it to be religious music.

Granted, some of it probably is. Like many people, I often tend to
generalize. (And, as I'll explain further on, I have a reason for
regarding the term "Christian" with a somewhat jaundiced attitude, right
now.)

I was just reading an article about CCM, written by an agnostic who
was raised Jewish - so about as far from Christian as one usually gets
in the US. And she was saying that she really enjoyed that music because
it's the only place where you can hear sincere explorations of what
life is about - faith, doubt, hope, love, etc. For a person who likes
pop and rock music, it's hard to find that most of the time - the message
of a lot of popular music these days is pretty bleak. I can really
understand wanting something more than that, but, if you're not able to
relate to more traditional liturgical music, you might look to popular
musical forms instead.

And what's wrong with that? You might not like it yourself, but there's
no reason to be so rigid about what's "real music".

Indeed, you make a valid point, and I must admit my current frame of mind
has more to do with a situation in my personal life than my really being
anti-Christian (or anti-contemporary Christian music). Perhaps I judge
too harshly, but I'm more than a little ticked off right now at those of
the "evangelical" persuasions, even though I realize (intellectually) that
not ALL of them are hypocrites.

My deceased sister-in-law was managing some midwestern bank accounts for
me. After the passage of the "Patriot Act" the banks required her to sign
on those accounts as "joint owner", rather than as my "power of attorney".
(But I've always been listed as the primary account holder, received the
1099INT and paid taxes on the interest income). I had no problem with
that, because I trusted her, and she'd always been scrupulously honest
with me. Then somehow, when the sister-in-law was dying (and without my
being notified), her daughter (who professes to be such an upstanding
Christian) managed to get HER name added to those accounts.

Two weeks ago, I discovered the daughter (again without my being notified)
has withdrawn the full balance of the accounts in cashier's checks payable
to her! That's nearly $55,000 of my money, representing nearly half of the
assets I'd counted on to pay for "assisted living" and medical care, after
my fixed "retirement income" can no longer stretch. She has of course
ignored all my attempts at communication, and unless I can prove her name
was fraudulently added to the accounts, I'm not sure I can bring criminal
charges to recover my money! (I've been in contact with the local police
and District Attorney's office there, but of course they have to run their
own investigations, and may not be able to do anything.)

Geez, that's horrible.

I realize I shouldn't brand ALL Christians because of her, but it's hard
not to, when I see my future security so badly compromised, due to her
blatant theft of my money. Actually, her mother was as good a Christian
as anyone could ask, one who LIVED her faith, rather than use it as an
excuse for un-Christian behaviour. (She'd be turning in her grave if she
knew what her daughter has done!)

So forgive me if I come on too strong on the subject of Christian music -
my response really didn't have much to do with music at all. Usually I'd
be the first to defend your right to listen to any kind of music you like
(just so long as I don't have to)!

No worries, and I understand where you're coming from and am purring and
Praying for your situation to be resolved.
That was SO wrong of her to do that to you :/
I'm a BAC with an open mind, but not so open that my brains fall out.
I don't listen to Contemporary Christian Music myself.
HUG
Kyla
--and snoozing Clowder

Old March 6th 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

bastXXXette
[...]

That's *horrible*. I can't think of anything worse than robbing someone
who will probably never be able to get on their feet afterward. By the
time you need that money, you will most likely not be able to work to
recover it. (Not to imply that it's OK to rob a working person, but at
least they have a chance to get through it.) I'm so sorry this happened
to you.

But yes, people of all faiths (or lack thereof) are capable of doing all
sorts of horrible things.

As for me, I have a much bigger problem with the political affiliations
of some Christian groups, some of whom are, in fact, connected to the CCM
industry. (And it is an industry!) I don't need to go into the details
here, since pretty much anything I have to say about that is very likely
completely predictable to most of you.

Yup

One thing the article I mentioned earlier pointed out is that even
modern Christian music is pretty varied musically. The type of CCM
I know best has a kind of folk-rock style, and is very nicely arranged
and produced. Since I used to like folk-rock, I like this music, too.
There's also hip-hop and rap Christian music, as well as metal, but I
haven't heard any of that.

I don't like hip hop nor rap. And I've heard some metal Christian music
*shrug*, didn't do much for me.

So forgive me if I come on too strong on the subject of Christian music
- my response really didn't have much to do with music at all. Usually
I'd be the first to defend your right to listen to any kind of music you
like (just so long as I don't have to)!

LOL, that's what headphones are for.

I *really* hope you can recover your money! And that she goes to jail.
What a piece of work.

Joyce

AMEN to that!!!
Kyla
--waiting for Judge Judy to come on

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.

Old March 6th 08, 11:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

"tanadashoes"
[...]

Sorry for this EVG, that is truly ate up. I hope that the niece gets
caught and nailed for her fraud. Better yet, I hope someone upstairs lets
her know that a Christian is as a Christian does. The Sunday Hypocrite
Christians are why I don't believe in their posturing. They need to read
their bible and do some major re-thinking about their true beliefs.

Pam S.

Exactly, Pam.
Altho I'm a BAC, I don't attend any church, I 'worship' in my heart. And I
know I'm not perfect, and that God is still working on me. Churches want
your money, and some of them really get in your faces to 'make you believe'
or else.. That's NOT for 'them' to decide, that's up to God, IMO.
HUG
Kyla

More Music Fun jmcquown Cat anecdotes 0 October 1st 06 06:06 PM
Cats and Music Mishi Cat anecdotes 12 April 10th 06 03:04 AM
Cat music Clare M Cat community 0 March 20th 06 05:30 PM
My own music critic Dan M Cat anecdotes 8 November 26th 04 04:37 AM
Cat Music Mr Nangla Cat health & behaviour 10 February 9th 04 06:44 AM