Reminder Daylight Savings Time This Week-end

Old March 9th 08, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

Default Reminder Daylight Savings Time This Week-end

I love DST. I just hate the change. The cows hate it. DH feeds when he
gets homeat 4:30 p.m.; they're lined up watching for his truck to turn into
the
drive every evening. They'll be so confused. :-)

Sherry

Confused cows?
LOL...sorry, but how does a cow tell time?
Where do you live that you have cows?
Hug,
Kyla

Old March 9th 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

"hopitus"

I can't stand to see *anything* hungry....city-raised hopitus is
deadly
afraid of cows but would throw them some hay from a safe distance
and then run for my life.....just like tigers, throw them some food to
distract them and make it to safety. Not sure what they would do to
me.....only cow-related activity popular in recent years in south FL
was "sneak out to the outlying dairy farms (quite a drive) for
cow-tipping" - always at night. Mainly a male sport made known
to urbanity via Beavis & Butthead.

LOL, sorry. Cow tipping.
I lived there till '76 and NEVER went to a rodeo.
Too cruel.
Kyla

Old March 9th 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

bastXXXette
Sherry wrote:

I love DST. I just hate the change.

Ditto. But the way I look at it is this: DST is a treat, we get an extra
hour of daylight in the evening. So we pay a little fee for the privilege
by having to give up an hour one weekend in March (or April, or January,
or whenever They decide it will be).

In the fall, going back to standard time, when it will get dark out
earlier and just overall feel colder and more wintry, we do get the
consolation prize of having an extra hour one weekend in October - which
we night people really appreciate!

So, I'll have one less hour tomorrow. But that's OK because I don't
have much planned tomorrow anyway. And then it will finally be light
out as I leave work, yay!

Joyce

Well, there ya go then
Hug
Kyla

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.

Old March 9th 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

"Wayne Mitchell"
"Christine K."

Here's wiki-info on DST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time
who do, who don't etc.

Aha! So it's William Willet's effigy that we want to burn. And today
would be the very best day to burn it here in the States.

Erm, who?
Kyla
--

Wayne M.

Old March 9th 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

"Yowie"

Us Aussies have the same fun as you guys do in the USA. Some states do
Daylight Savings, some don't. And those that do change on different dates.
Its maddening.

So, Tasmania started Daylight Saving (Spring Forward) on the 7th of
October last year, whilst New South Wales (NSW), The Australian Capital
Territory (ACT), Victoria (Vic), South Australia (SA) and Western
Australia (WA) started daylight savings on the 28th of October, 2007.
Queensland (QLD) and the Northern Territory (NT) don't do daylight
savings. TAS, NSW, ACT, VIC, & SA stop daylight savings on the 6th of
April 2008, but WA stops earlier on the 30th of March.

In winter, Australia has 3 time zones - AEST (Australian Eastern Standard
Time), and thats QLD, NSW, ACT, VIC and TAS. SA & NT are half an hour
behind behind AEST on ACST (Australian Central Standard Time). WA is 2
hours behind AEST, being Australian Western Standard time (AWST).

In Summer, it has 5, because QLD and NT don't observe Daylight Savings

But in the transitional period, there can be up to 7 different time zones,
as states change on different dates.

And we've only got 8 states!

Yowie

Egads! No wonder we're confoozled. wow.
Hug
Kyla

Old March 9th 08, 08:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K.

Kyla =^..^= kirjoitti:
"Wayne Mitchell"
"Christine K."
Here's wiki-info on DST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time
who do, who don't etc.

Aha! So it's William Willet's effigy that we want to burn. And today
would be the very best day to burn it here in the States.

Erm, who?
Kyla

Wayne had apparently read the text behind the link I posted.

Start copy:

The prominent English builder and outdoorsman William Willett invented
DST in 1905 during one of his pre-breakfast horseback rides, when he
observed with dismay how many Londoners slept through the best part of a
summer day.[18] An avid golfer, he also disliked cutting short his round
at dusk. His solution was to advance the clock during the summer months,
a proposal he published two years later.[19] He lobbied unsuccessfully
for the proposal until his death in 1915; see Politics for more details.

End copy

--
Christine in Laitila, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old March 9th 08, 11:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

So it's William Willet's effigy that we want to burn. And today
would be the very best day to burn it here in the States.

My most confusing timeshift experience was when I arrived in the
US from New Zealand in 1974. I had flown across the Pacific,
which meant crossing the International Date Line and an unknown
number of time zones, seeing the sun going up and down like a
yoyo, touching at Fiji and Hawaii and spending an afternoon in LA
at what was biologically some other time entirely, and having no
idea how long I'd been in the air, finishing off by flying through
the worst thunderstorm to hit the US in decades. I was supposed
to meet somebody in Pittsburgh but missed them as summer time had
ended the day I arrived.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old March 9th 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

So it's William Willet's effigy that we want to burn. And today
would be the very best day to burn it here in the States.

My most confusing timeshift experience was when I arrived in the
US from New Zealand in 1974. I had flown across the Pacific,
which meant crossing the International Date Line and an unknown
number of time zones, seeing the sun going up and down like a
yoyo, touching at Fiji and Hawaii and spending an afternoon in LA
at what was biologically some other time entirely, and having no
idea how long I'd been in the air, finishing off by flying through
the worst thunderstorm to hit the US in decades. I was supposed
to meet somebody in Pittsburgh but missed them as summer time had
ended the day I arrived.

Wow, that sounds really bizarre. I'd love to see the sun going up and
down like that, though I'll pass on the thunderstorm. Not sure I
understand why you missed meeting a friend because summer had ended
that day, though.

Joyce
Old March 10th 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

hopitus wrote:
On Mar 8, 1:25 pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
Granby wrote:
Well Dah! Guess who forgot what day it was and set her clock forward. So,
I am up, showered, hair done and make up. I was standing by the frontdoor
waiting on my ride to work and thought it was sunny that no cars were at the
small factory across the street. Then, I thought if this was Sunday, there
wouldn't be. Then, cars started showing up. A man and wife that work there
and come sit at my picnic table in the warm weather for their lunch hollered
and asked me why I was up so early. Oh well, another day in paradise.

Oops! :-) I did that once in California, Had a church choir job, and
managed to show up a good hour before the normal Sunday choir practice!
(Better than the time I forgot in the fall, though, and barely got
there in time to sing for the service!)

Then are you still singing (my drummer relative calls jobs "gigs") for
fun
and/or profit, Evelyn?

Regretfully, no! One disadvantage of being fairly accomplished as a
singer is that you notice when your voice is no longer what it once was,
and will no longer do what you want it to do. Having heard a few singer
(including some really successful ones) who kept singing long after they
should have stopped inflicting themselves on an audience, I vowed I
would never be one of them! I still love music, and enjoy hearing
promising young singers, but I don't try to sing anymore, myself.

You never say much about it these days.
As for DST when I lived back on the east coast in south FL we were
always puzzled about the purpose of DST....it used to stay daylight
down there till about 9pm in midsummer. Since living in MileHigh I
can tell you I never knew the meaning of "dark days" before but
DST really makes a big difference locally; people get off work before
the dark curtain falls and have some time to linger outside with their
families in evening. And when the weather is bad daylight makes a
big improvement for their commute home on the interstates, which
are often skating-rink driving quality.

Old March 10th 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Mar 8, 8:21*pm, "Kyla =^..^=" wrote:
I love DST. I just hate the change. The cows hate it. DH feeds when he
gets homeat 4:30 p.m.; they're lined up watching for his truck to turn into
the
drive every evening. They'll be so confused. :-)

Sherry

Confused cows?
*LOL...sorry, but how does a cow tell time?
Where do you live that you have cows?
Hug,
Kyla

Trust me, when there's food involved, they know what time it is, and
since DH is the "gravy train"...they know his
pickup, and they watch for it to turn into the drive.
We live in Oklahoma. We "inherited" the cows. They're pets. We have to
keep *something* in the pasture to keep
the grasses and weeds down in the summer anyway; or they would be head-
high.

Sherry

Reminder Adam Cat community 7 August 24th 06 04:20 AM
Daylight Savings Time jmcquown Cat anecdotes 84 May 9th 06 09:03 PM
A reminder of Cat ID Quiz Duke of URL Cat anecdotes 32 March 14th 06 03:07 AM
A reminder.... Gandalf Cat anecdotes 0 January 23rd 06 06:14 AM
Just a reminder: Magic Mood Jeep Cat anecdotes 0 November 15th 05 10:46 AM