Cats in surgery today

Old October 5th 04, 05:01 PM
ceb2

Default Cats in surgery today

We have three 5 month old kittens; Princess Consuela Bananahammock
(don't ask), Roxie, and Grizabella. Today, they are all in surgery to
get spayed and declawed.
I know the general feeling among cat owners is that declawing is cruel
and inhumane. Please, no flames and no guilt flingers. I already feel
bad enough, but we have our reasons.
They are at Banfield Animal Hospital who have assured us that their
procedure is much more humane because they don't do a full amputation
and that since they are being spayed at the same time, it will be an
easier recovery.
I am looking for insight from owners of declawed cats. Should I expect
their behavior to be the same? They all have their own distinct
personality and I would hate for that to change.

I AM NOT LOOKING FOR ANTI DECLAWING FLAMERS NOR AM I LOOKING FOR A
DEBATE!
Old October 5th 04, 05:18 PM
Mary

"ceb2" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I declawed and spayed my cat at the same time, just as you are doing. Why?
Because I was an idiot. Young and ignorant. You are an idiot, and really
cruel for doing both the spay and the declaw at the same time when you knew
damned well what the declaw entails. You can look forward to biting,
mistrust, and inappropriate elimination. When you can get them to go in the
box they probably won't cover it up. I kept my mutilated girl for her entire
20-year life. Now that you have done the Nazi thing, that is the least you
can do. I hope you pick them up the same day so you can see how much they
are suffering, but I expect your vet will keep them so that you don't know.

I am very, very happy for your furniture and drapery. But Karma is a bitch,
babe Believe me, I know.

Old October 5th 04, 05:38 PM
CatNipped

Take a look at what they're doing to your sweet little kittens and then ask
not to be flamed here...

http://community-2.webtv.net/stopdeclaw/declawpics/

Hugs,

CatNipped

m...

Old October 5th 04, 06:16 PM
Elizabeth Blake

"ceb2" wrote in message
m...
We have three 5 month old kittens; Princess Consuela Bananahammock
(don't ask), Roxie, and Grizabella. Today, they are all in surgery to
get spayed and declawed.
I know the general feeling among cat owners is that declawing is cruel
and inhumane. Please, no flames and no guilt flingers. I already feel
bad enough, but we have our reasons.

They are at Banfield Animal Hospital who have assured us that their
procedure is much more humane because they don't do a full amputation
and that since they are being spayed at the same time, it will be an
easier recovery.

Much more humane?!?! I seriously doubt that.

I am looking for insight from owners of declawed cats. Should I expect
their behavior to be the same? They all have their own distinct
personality and I would hate for that to change.

Well, they may end up becoming somewhat nasty and prone to biting, to make
up for you ripping their claws out.

--
Liz

Old October 5th 04, 06:55 PM
cmtowle

"ceb2" wrote in message
m...

They are at Banfield Animal Hospital who have assured us that their
procedure is much more humane because they don't do a full amputation
and that since they are being spayed at the same time, it will be an
easier recovery.

If they are *not* doing a full amputation of the distal phalanx (last toe
bone) of each toe, they are cutting *through* the bone. This method is
generally thought of as causing more complications than the full amputation
of the distal phalanx which itself can cause a host of medical
complications. You are not getting current or accurate information. If they
*are* removing the entire the last toe bone, they are using the prevalent
method and are lying to you. If they are saying that the procedure is "much
more humane", they are lying to you. Elective declawing, by definition, is
inhumane. It is unnecessary surgery which puts cats at risk during and post
surgery, it is done solely for owner convenience, changes a cat's gait and
balance, and deprives cats of so much that is unique to cats. If you elected
to have this procedure done knowing full well what is involved rather than
provide them with and spend some time teaching them to use "acceptable"
scratching posts/surfaces allowing them to express instinctive behaviour
which serves many functions, you do not have your kitties' best interests at
heart. How sad for these wonderful creatures.

I am looking for insight from owners of declawed cats. Should I expect
their behavior to be the same? They all have their own distinct
personality and I would hate for that to change.

Then why elect to subject them to a procedure which has the potential of
doing just that?

I AM NOT LOOKING FOR ANTI DECLAWING FLAMERS NOR AM I LOOKING FOR A
DEBATE!

Since you expected that this would be the case, it implies that you did some
research - all the more distressing that you made this choice for these
innocent beings.

M.