OT Kicking Effexor!

Old April 14th 05, 05:42 PM
Enfilade

Default OT Kicking Effexor!

Here it is...the first day without Effexor.

Honestly, after that first night of barfing, I haven't felt bad at
all. If anything, I've felt BETTER because I no longer need to sleep
more than 10 hours a day (was pushing 16 mandatory sleep hours in
every 24 when I quit). Therefore, I only nap if I get less than 10
hours at night. All this stuff is getting done, and it's awesome. I
even have time to watch TV or read comic books again.

Mood's better instead of worse--with this energy and fire back, I feel
like I could rule the world. As long as my fire doesn't spill over
into rage, all is good.

Now to address the caffeine addiction. THIS ******* I've been
fighting for six years to control. I'm sucking back three cans of pop
a day again and I've got to cut this out...I can feel the stomach
damage returning. Starting Monday, when my term paper is done, it's
down to one.

--Mary
Old April 14th 05, 06:27 PM
Mathew Kagis

"Enfilade" wrote in message
om...
Here it is...the first day without Effexor.

SNIP

Mood's better instead of worse--with this energy and fire back, I feel
like I could rule the world. As long as my fire doesn't spill over
into rage, all is good.

Now to address the caffeine addiction. THIS ******* I've been
fighting for six years to control. I'm sucking back three cans of pop
a day again and I've got to cut this out...I can feel the stomach
damage returning. Starting Monday, when my term paper is done, it's
down to one.

--Mary

If you'd like some advice on herbal remedies, both for the caffine & to help
with the Effexor discomfort, e-mail me directly. I may be able to help.
I'd have mentioned this earlier, but while you were weaning off the drug, I
didn't want to suggest anything that might have been contra-indicated...

--
Mathew
Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat

Old April 14th 05, 06:42 PM
Gabey8

Good for you! We're all purring and praying that things keep going well!

And if you decide at some point that you want a medicine OTHER than
Effexor, talk to your doctor about the ones that are available that have
fewer side effects than the Effexor does.

BTW, I hear you BIG TIME about the "time to ditch caffeine" decision. In
my case, last year when I had to go on blood pressure meds (to control a
BP that'd risen to something like 132/100 and 132/98), I decided that all
but the first cup of coffee in the morning had to go.

I hate taking meds unless I absolutely, positively HAVE to. And there's no
logic in taking BP meds, then undoing their benefit by caffeinating my
blood pressure back up to an unhealthy level, right? So all coffee, tea,
and other beverages after the first cup of the morning are now decaf or
non-caffeinated.

BTW, the BP has now been controlled with the meds, to the point where it's
at a normal level again. It took a few months to get the dose right, but
things seem OK now. I'm not surprised that I ended up on meds, given the
history of high blood pressure that's rampant on both sides of my family.
I'm reaching an age (early 40s) where some of the family's genetic time
bombs are going to start showing up, if I've inherited any of them.

Purrs and prayers that you keep doing well!

Donna, Captain, and Stanley

Old April 14th 05, 08:15 PM
CatNipped

"Enfilade" wrote in message
om...
[...]

YAY!!! I was so worried about what you might have to go knowing what I went
through. I'm glad it's been so easy for you and *very* glad that you're
feeling so much better!

Hugs,

CatNipped

--Mary

Old April 15th 05, 01:41 AM
Yowie

"Enfilade" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I don't know about Effexor, but caffeine is one heck of a b*tch to kick.
When I was pregnant, The Yowlet would not allow me to have any caffeine
whatsoever, I'd immediatley chuck up all over the place if I had any. Of
course, I was still addicted but couldn't have any, and it wasn't like I
could just cut-down over time, I had to go cold turkey. It was aweful.
Headaches, nausea and the cravings were horrendous. It took about 3 months
for the cravings to subside, but they didn't ever go away entirely (not ever
beign a smoker, I'm not sure what giving up smoking is like, but its
probably similar)

I was lucky, because my caffeine addiction was in the form of coffee, and
these days decaf coffee is pretty good, so I didn'thave to break the
psychological habit as well as the physical habit. But as soon I stopped
breast feeding Cary, I quickly became re-addicted (I made the mistake of
having *one* cup of coffee whilst breast feeding Cary, and after him being
full of nervous energy and then tired but unable to sleep for 8 hours, I
didn't try again till he was weaned). I'm not as badly addicted this time
around, but there is nothing better in life than that first cup of Java in
the morning. Its often the only one I have during the day (I'll usually
drink decaf or hot chocolate if I want a hot beverage, and water if I want
something cool) but darn I enjoy that first coffee far too much.

Yowie

Old April 15th 05, 04:20 AM
Marina

Enfilade wrote:

Here it is...the first day without Effexor.

Way to go! We're purring that you continue doing as well.

--
Marina, Frank, Nikki, and introducing: Mere!
Old April 15th 05, 05:16 PM
Enfilade

Headaches, nausea and the cravings were horrendous. It took about 3 months
for the cravings to subside, but they didn't ever go away entirely (not ever
beign a smoker, I'm not sure what giving up smoking is like, but its
probably similar)

I kicked caffeine for six months during the worst of the ulcers,
probably because I was so doped up on painkillers and/or passed out
when they didn't work well enough, that I couldn't notice the
headaches that much. I'm back fighting now...going into overdrive
once the term paper is done. Must get back to a can of pop a day.

Some people think it's FUNNY when you have dreams of singing, dancing
pepsi cans and then wake up choking from dry throat and going berserk
with cravings....

--Fil

(Had a cherry cigarillo once and liked it so much that I never touched
one again. I don't need another addiction and lung cancer. A
half-rotted digestive system and the singing, dancing pepsi can
hallucinations are quite enough)
Old April 15th 05, 06:11 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-04-14, Enfilade penned:
[...]

Good luck with both drugs! But are you sure you want to kick both at
once? Caffeine's the only physical addiction I've ever had, and it's
a bad one. I fully support your plan to kick that stuff, but maybe
just try to kick the Effexor first? Just a thought.

One problem I had with caffeine was that I would use it as an "upper."
Instead of saying, "I would like a coffee," I would say, "I am really
tired this morning; I need some caffeine." Then my sleep patterns
would get all screwy and I wouldn't sleep well, so I'd need more
caffeine ... and so it went.

Now, if I forget to order decaf, I can't sleep at all. No matter what
time of day I drank the stuff.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 15th 05, 07:54 PM
polonca12000

Lots of purrs and best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

om...

Old April 15th 05, 10:25 PM
HRFLTiger

Yowie wrote:

I'm not as badly addicted this time
around, but there is nothing better in life than that first cup of

Java in
the morning. Its often the only one I have during the day (I'll

usually
drink decaf or hot chocolate if I want a hot beverage, and water if I

want
something cool) but darn I enjoy that first coffee far too much.///

Oh I *SO* hear you about the coffee addiction. I'm a veritable pitbull
until I've had at least one cup of coffee when I get up. The only
purrson who doesn't keep a low profile in the mornings is HRFL Tiger,
and even *he* gets fairly short shift! ;o)

Helen M