My cat had an accident - I'm sick with worry!

Old May 28th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

Default My cat had an accident - I'm sick with worry!

"Calico" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have just got my cat back and thankfully, the vet expects her to
make a full recovery. However, I will just say that the whole time at
the vet was probably more traumatic to the cat than the fall, not to
mention the poor dote hardly being able to stand up at the moment
after the anaesthetic. The vet gave her the once over but gave no
treatment (apart from the injections when I brought her up first) so
in actual fact, the best thing for kitty was EXACTLY what I was doing,
which was keeping her in a nice, warm, quiet place. She is actually in
a awful state now compared to how I brought her in.

But I don't care a jot about any of that - or some of the assholes in
this newsgroup - I am just glad she is going to be okay, and hopefully
will not get the opportunity to try her paw at flying again.

Thanks to those who tried to offer genuine advice.

That is wonderful news to hear that your cat is going to be alright.
However, I would like to emphasize that you did the right thing by taking
her to the vet. *Many* cats are extremely fearful of the vet (somewhat like
small children). Unfortunately, we can't explain to them why we are placing
them in what must seem like a terrible situation. The point is, we really
*must* have our furbabies evaluated at certain times (and the bad fall you
described is one of them). Even if "bedrest" turns out to be the only
treatment, we simply can't tell that there are no problems by just
"looking." We need an examination by someone who is medically qualified.
So, be glad that you had her checked out. Think how terrible you would have
felt if you had *not* gone to the vet and your cat had suffered serious
consequences as a result.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

Old May 28th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lis

On May 28, 2:21 pm, Calico wrote:
I have just got my cat back and thankfully, the vet expects her to
make a full recovery. However, I will just say that the whole time at
the vet was probably more traumatic to the cat than the fall, not to
mention the poor dote hardly being able to stand up at the moment
after the anaesthetic. The vet gave her the once over but gave no
treatment (apart from the injections when I brought her up first) so
in actual fact, the best thing for kitty was EXACTLY what I was doing,
which was keeping her in a nice, warm, quiet place. She is actually in
a awful state now compared to how I brought her in.

But I don't care a jot about any of that - or some of the assholes in
this newsgroup - I am just glad she is going to be okay, and hopefully
will not get the opportunity to try her paw at flying again.

Thanks to those who tried to offer genuine advice.

It's great news that your cat is going to be okay!

Many cats find it upsetting to go to the vet; that doesn't mean that
they don't need to go. It's our job as the pet owners to be the adult
supervision and insist on things that they need but would not/could
not do for themselves, even the things they would avoid because
they're unpleasant. You COULD NOT have done for the cat what the vet
did--give anti-shock meds and painkillers. And if kitty was just
recovering from the anaesthetic when you wrote this post, no, the last
treament was NOT two days ago when you brought her in.

You did the right thing bringing her in to the vet, even though it's
upsetting to her. Really you did.

Lis

Old May 28th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Mon 28 May 2007 02:36:48p, MaryL wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

"Calico" wrote in message
ps.com...

I have just got my cat back and thankfully, the vet expects her
to make a full recovery. However, I will just say that the whole
time at the vet was probably more traumatic to the cat than the
fall, not to mention the poor dote hardly being able to stand
up at the moment after the anaesthetic.

Very good news! I'm glad you got her examined. As MaryL said, the
stress involved in taking them to the vet can't be helped. Unless
you can afford to have a vet make housecalls (do they even do that
any more?) it unavoidable.

I hope she'll be ok. I was worried about her. I was worried that
the bleeding from the nose was more than just a nose injury.
Internal bleeding can result in bleeding from the nose or mouth or
even ears.

That is wonderful news to hear that your cat is going to be
alright. However, I would like to emphasize that you did the
right thing by taking her to the vet. *Many* cats are extremely
fearful of the vet (somewhat like small children).
Unfortunately, we can't explain to them why we are placing them
in what must seem like a terrible situation. The point is, we
really *must* have our furbabies evaluated at certain times (and
the bad fall you described is one of them). Even if "bedrest"
turns out to be the only treatment, we simply can't tell that
there are no problems by just "looking." We need an examination
by someone who is medically qualified. So, be glad that you had
her checked out. Think how terrible you would have felt if you
had *not* gone to the vet and your cat had suffered serious
consequences as a result.

MaryL

Well said, Mary. This is just one of the many reasons a yearly exam
from a young age is important. Not only can the vet form baselines
of overall health, it helps to condition the cat to the carrier,
the car (bus, cab, etc), the vets office and being handled. My
sister has a cat that is a total demon to try to get in a carrier.
And while mine don't like it, they are used to it when they have to
go in.

--
Cheryl

Old May 28th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chatnoir

On May 27, 3:06 pm, "Fred G. Mackey" wrote:
MaryL wrote:
"Fred G. Mackey" wrote in message

Calico wrote:

I should mention that this is my brothers cat who passed away a couple
of years ago.

No need to take the cat to a vet if it already passed away. It's time to
bury it.

Damn you're dumb!

Worse than just a troll .... a *cruel* troll. Score = -1

This person deserves to be treated cruelly. They let their cat fall out
of a third story window, saw that it was severely injured and waited
until the next day to take it to the vet.

Furthermore, they are hanging on to their cat as if it is somehow a
piece of the brother they lost.

Someone should rescue this feline.

Fred spouts off!:

http://www.thechurning.com/images/hybridmotorcycle.jpg

Old May 28th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lilah Morgan

"Calico" wrote in message
ps.com...

I feel so guilty! I should have made sure the close the window
properly and brought her to the vet IMMEDIATELY after it happened.
She's up there now and I know she is going to be totally stressed out

I hope your cat gets better. I think there's a good chance she'll make a
full recovery. As already mentioned, immediate vet care is important.
Unfortunately, it's not always possible. When Joxer got seriously
injured(one day he had decided to take a nap under the hood of one of the
cars in the parking lot of the apartment complex we lived in, and of course
the owner of the car didn't know, so she started the car, and either the fan
belt or one of the blades got the thigh of one of his hind legs), he didn't
come home til the next evening. One of our neighbors who also had a cat(a
grey male named Stanley) that played with Joxer said that the owner of the
car saw Joxer run out from her car when she started it, and when she told me
around the time that happened, that was around the same time when I realized
that Joxer hadn't come in(whenever I got home from anywhere, Joxer would
KNOW and come running no matter where he was to see me), and I got a bit
worried because I had been home a while. So I went around calling his name
and looking for him, but no results. I did that every so often that evening
into the night, getting more and more worried, because as mentioned, Joxer
would always come to me. Couldn't even go to classes the next day because I
was just about having a meltdown. Finally that next evening Joxer climbed
through the open window. He wasn't jumping in, he was like holding onto the
windowsill with his two front paws, and so I went to give him much love,
glad to see him ok, but then I saw his leg...there was alot of blood and
dried leaves around the wound(so I guess he went into shock and ran until he
collapsed or something) and then I started freaking out. Got him into the
bathroom to clean him up some, and he got cut really deep, and I ran across
the street to a friend's to find out if she could look at him(she's a vet
technician/assistant), and she couldn't, but she gave me the address/number
of a 24hour vet place, so Stanley's mom(she helped clean Joxer up) lent me
her cat carrier and I took the next bus(it ran like every half hour) to
there and he got anti-shock/pain stuff, and they said I could take him home
for overnight, and then the next day I took him to the clinic my friend
worked at and they fixed him up. They wanted to amputate the leg but I
wouldn't let them, and he walks fine now, just with a limp on that leg, but
when he runs there's no trace of a limp. I'm just glad that I had gotten a
check the day of the accident, because if I hadn't, I don't know how we
would have been able to afford his vet bills. Ended up being like $600 I
think(maybe it was $200, can't remember without looking at the bill...I keep
all records), but he's worth it no matter how much money it was. He's my
baby :-)

Old May 29th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 28 May, 19:21, Calico wrote:
I have just got my cat back and thankfully, the vet expects her to
make a full recovery. However, I will just say that the whole time at
the vet was probably more traumatic to the cat than the fall, not to
mention the poor dote hardly being able to stand up at the moment
after the anaesthetic. The vet gave her the once over but gave no
treatment (apart from the injections when I brought her up first) so
in actual fact, the best thing for kitty was EXACTLY what I was doing,
which was keeping her in a nice, warm, quiet place. She is actually in
a awful state now compared to how I brought her in.

But I don't care a jot about any of that - or some of the assholes in
this newsgroup - I am just glad she is going to be okay, and hopefully
will not get the opportunity to try her paw at flying again.

Thanks to those who tried to offer genuine advice.

i have to disagree with you, regardless fo what ytou thought was the
right thing, takign her to the vets was the best thing to do even
though it turned out to be ok and that she did not need much doing
exceopt painkillers etc (although without those she may have suffered
sever shock and things coudl have got complicated).

yes trips to the vets can be traumatic and cats can wail about it but
you did nto know what may have happened inside her tiny body, she
coudl have had internal bleeding or head trauma and died in a a very
painful way days later and that woudl nto have been pleasant for
anyone woudl it?

If you really do nto want to put her through the trauma of going to
the vets again can you get the vet to come out to you perhaps? ring
them before you really need them and discuss this possibility with
them. I agree that if an animal is really sick then the last thing
they need is to be stressed out as that can also lead to complicatiion
and can hinder recivery but sometimes the cat really needs to be seen
by a professional asap and after an accident like a bad fall as your
cat had is one of those times.

sorry if i sound harsh but it si true, anyway I am glad that she is
ok, please look after her from now one and keep all those windows
shut, and ask at the vets about the possibility of a home visit

bookie

Old May 29th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
lovethepet

On May 28, 11:21 am, Calico wrote:
I have just got my cat back and thankfully, the vet expects her to
make a full recovery. However, I will just say that the whole time at
the vet was probably more traumatic to the cat than the fall, not to
mention the poor dote hardly being able to stand up at the moment
after the anaesthetic. The vet gave her the once over but gave no
treatment (apart from the injections when I brought her up first) so
in actual fact, the best thing for kitty was EXACTLY what I was doing,
which was keeping her in a nice, warm, quiet place. She is actually in
a awful state now compared to how I brought her in.

But I don't care a jot about any of that - or some of the assholes in
this newsgroup - I am just glad she is going to be okay, and hopefully
will not get the opportunity to try her paw at flying again.

Thanks to those who tried to offer genuine advice.

Been following this thread and so happy your kitty got the OK. I have
a calico aswell and they can get pretty stressed out easily. Must be
something in the breed but you have to walk on eggshells around them
as they seem to be PMSing 90% of the time. Mine has an enlarged heart
and I had to change my vet to take her to the nearest one because she
hyperventilates as soon as she gets in the car. Anyway, glad for the
good report!

Old May 29th 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

On Mon, 28 May 2007 03:17:13 -0400, cybercat wrote:

Take responsibility for your actions. Your cat fell out of the window,
and you allowed her to go without veterinary treatment for 48 hours.
Any complaints you have with your vet, if indeed you ever took the cat
to a vet, are a separate issue.

I think you're being too hard on her. If what she posted is accurate,
she may have erred in her judgment, but not because she lacks concern or
commitment.

My dog got killed because of my poor judgment, so I'm sensitive to the
distinction.

Charlie
Old May 29th 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 28 May 2007 03:17:13 -0400, cybercat wrote:

Take responsibility for your actions. Your cat fell out of the window,
and you allowed her to go without veterinary treatment for 48 hours.
Any complaints you have with your vet, if indeed you ever took the cat
to a vet, are a separate issue.

I think you're being too hard on her. If what she posted is accurate,
she may have erred in her judgment, but not because she lacks concern or
commitment.

My dog got killed because of my poor judgment, so I'm sensitive to the
distinction.

Charlie, if your dog were hurt you would have taken him for treatment.

If he fell out the blinking window and had blood coming out of his
nose, are you telling me you would not take him to a vet?

I will never understand these sorry assholes who post that they have
an injured or sick cat, and have not taken the animal to the vet. If it
were a child, they would find a way. Or maybe they wouldn't. Poor
cats.

Old May 29th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 29 May, 15:32, "cybercat" wrote:
[...]

i agree, no reason to wait about and 'see if it gets better by
itself', that is irresponsible and amounts to neglect in my book

sick with worry about my older cat ms. tonya Cat health & behaviour 3 March 4th 06 03:36 AM
Argh - litterbox accident again Karen AKA Kajikit Cat anecdotes 24 December 5th 05 03:51 PM
Our cat had a little accident. :( Advice please! John Krystek Cat health & behaviour 82 November 10th 05 07:27 AM
almost-bad accident Pat Cat anecdotes 9 July 25th 05 04:46 AM
GW [OT] Ghostly accident Yowie Cat anecdotes 3 September 22nd 04 02:23 AM