Unexplained weight loss in 8.5 yr old male cat

Old October 23rd 03, 10:02 PM
Lynn

Default Unexplained weight loss in 8.5 yr old male cat

I've noticed lately that my 8.5 yr old male cat has lost weight so I
decided to have him checked out. Upon weighing him at the vets office,
it was discovered that he had lost 3 lbs. since his last exam in late
June of this year. He was 11 lbs. in June; he is now 8 lbs. I should
also say that during the past few days prior to bringing him in I had
noticed that he had a slight decrease in appetite and drinking. My
veternarian did a complete blood and urine workup on my cat and found
nothing. She also did an x-ray of his body and said that although
everything appears to be okay, she is concerned that she does not see
a clear outline of his organs and has instructed me to take him for an
abdominal ultrasound. Can anyone shed some light on what might be
going on? Also, in his initial exam, he had no fever and his gums were
pink. He was slightly dehydrated but the vet's office gave him some
fluids and he did manage to eat some food for them. I'd appreciate any
insight.
Old October 24th 03, 03:53 PM
Liz

From your post my guess is your cat developed adhesions.

Surgery is usually necessary to correct this and to keep it from
happening again, the common procedure here is to fill the abdominal
cavity with an inert gas after stitching. This would give the tissues
time to heal without touching each other, therefore without forming
new adherences. The gas would slowly be absorbed by the tissues and
eliminated by the lungs.

http://www.fhradio.org/fm/archives/1994/1746(FM).html
http://www.itmonline.org/arts/adhesions.htm
http://www.dyspareunia.org/html/pelvic_adhesions.htm

Old October 24th 03, 05:04 PM
Barb 1

To add to m L Briggs, my own cat was down to 5 pounds and put on thyroid
medication. She doubled her weight. You did say your cat had a complete
blood work up and so I would think thyroid would be included but you never
know.

Also, no clear x-ray image? Is his abdomen swollen? Maybe you need to have
another vet x-ray him on the chance that your vet's machine isn't working
well.

--
Barb
I can only please one person a day.

Old October 24th 03, 07:22 PM
Mary

"Lynn" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Has anything around your house changed lately? Cats, particularly when
they are older and well established in a place, can be very sensitive
to change. Could he be grieving or missing someone? Is there any
disruption around his food area that might put him off? With that much
weight loss in that short a time I fear the cause may be organic, but
am hoping it is just a little depression.

Another thing that can cause cats to lose weight is hot weather and
extra play. The summer heat (even indoors, as the ac could not keep
up) and a new toy (feather on a string) made my Cheeks lose a pound in
a couple of months and she only weighed 8 pounds.

I hope your boy will be okay, and that it is something simple.

Old October 24th 03, 07:23 PM
Mary

"m. L. Briggs" wrote in message

Did they test the thyroid?

A great suggestion. I forgot about thyroid.