Kitty goes _outside_ the litter box... help!

Old January 8th 04, 07:34 PM
Scott

Default Kitty goes _outside_ the litter box... help!

Hi,

I have 2 cats, Lukey and Oreo. Lukey is older than Oreo by a couple of
years. Oreo is 2.5 years old. They've been together for almost 2 years.

Oreo has had a habit of urinating outside of the litter box. But he poops in
the litter box.

I had the litter box on the bathroom floor, and he started urinating on the
floor. This became a lot of trouble to clean up. So I moved the litter box
into the bathtub (guest bathtub, no one uses it). He still doesn't urinate
in the litterbox, but now urinates in the bathtub. A little easier to hose
down.

Why is he doing this? He poops in the litter box just fine.

I've also tried setting up TWO litterboxes, one for Oreo, one for Lukey.
That didn't solve it.

I just recently bought an extra-large huge litterbox, thinking Oreo didn't
like the smaller one. That didn't solve it.

Tried it with the litter box hood on and off. Nope.

Tried 2 different brands of litter. Nope.

My only thought on this is that sometimes I'll find litter scattered outside
of the litter box when the cats leave tracks or scoop at the litter, and
that Oreo assumes he's supposed to urinate anywhere he finds the smallest
amount of litter, even just litter paw tracks. So he pees on the litter paw
tracks.

What's going on here? And how do I correct this behavior?

Meow!
Scott,
Oreo & Lukey

Old January 8th 04, 08:35 PM
Scott

Gail,

I know what UTI is and Oreo doesn't have this. My other cat Lukey had UTI,
where it was very painful for him to urinate and he used to urinate all over
the house but not the litter box, and his urine came out in small drops.
Lukey's problem has been corrected by switching to a higher quality (less
ash) cat food, and giving him Methio-Form tablets to dissolve the crystals.

Oreo doesn't have the same problems. Oreo's problem is behavioral. He's been
doing this for almost TWO years -- ever since I got him. If it was UTI, he'd
probably wouldn't have survived to now. Oreo is happy, active, and urinates
fine -- just in the wrong place.

He used to urinate in my plants, until I put strips of sticky tape across
the plant pots. Now, he just urinates in the bathtub. I really think it's
bad behavior that has turned into a habit. I need to figure a way to
re-pottytrain Oreo.

Scott

link.net...

Old January 8th 04, 11:00 PM
Karen

"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Try a potted plant container with cat litter in it since he seemed to like
that shape. Might sound odd, but might work.

Karen

Old January 9th 04, 03:33 AM
Scott

Very interesting idea!

My last straw will be to increase the frequency of cleaning the litter area
and scooping the litter box. Oreo will use the litter box if it's been
scooped and if there's no litter at all on the ground in the area. I think
he's being too finicky. But, I'll try and increase the cleaning of the area
and scooping the box, and if that doesn't improve things, I'll try the plant
pot idea.

Old January 8th 04, 11:59 PM
Luvskats00

Did anything happen to Oreo recently? Did he get into a fight with the other
cat or become upset about something? Did you change the litter or anything
where he might be reaction to a smell of some kind?