Another danger to outside cats.

Old June 10th 11, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default Another danger to outside cats.

I am normally an "Outside cat" person, and my five cats are all
outside/inside cats. (they have two cat doors through which they can get
outside the house) I have gone around and around with inside catters several
times now, and I don't want to renew that discussion. However, recently one
of my cats uncovered another danger that I feel it is instructive to
address. He got into some lawn fertilizer and/or weed chemicals that
poisoned him rather badly. Apparently, cats, being fastidious groomers are
prone to poisoning themselves by licking their feet and/or fur after getting
into anything distasteful. This cat damaged his liver by licking some
unknown quantity of lawn chemicals off of himself. I felt that I should warn
others of this possibility.

Old June 11th 11, 02:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
at

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 13:19:11 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

I am normally an "Outside cat" person, and my five cats are all
outside/inside cats. (they have two cat doors through which they can get
outside the house) I have gone around and around with inside catters several
times now, and I don't want to renew that discussion. However, recently one
of my cats uncovered another danger that I feel it is instructive to
address. He got into some lawn fertilizer and/or weed chemicals that
poisoned him rather badly. Apparently, cats, being fastidious groomers are
prone to poisoning themselves by licking their feet and/or fur after getting
into anything distasteful. This cat damaged his liver by licking some
unknown quantity of lawn chemicals off of himself. I felt that I should warn
others of this possibility.

Well: can I get a DUH?

This is just ANOTHER of the MANY reasons why cats are SAFER, and live
LONGER LIVES, if they stay INSIDE.
Old June 11th 11, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

wrote:

[...]

Yes, but also a lot duller, less interesting lives. This doesn't matter if
the cat has always been an inside cat, and doesn't know any better. But all
my cats were acquired as adults and were outside cats all of their lives.
Most of them just wandered onto my property, and liked the, "cut of my jib",
and decided to stay. If you live in a rural neighborhood, or a farm, the
very idea of keeping your cats inside is ridiculous. If you live in a big
city, it is just as ridiculous to try to keep outside cats. So, to make a
blanket statement about how you keep cats is basically stupid.

Old June 11th 11, 08:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
(PeteCresswell)

Per Gandalf ingold1234:
This is just ANOTHER of the MANY reasons why cats are SAFER, and live
LONGER LIVES, if they stay INSIDE.

Somewhere I read that people live for a very long time in
underground cells in places like Lubianka or Marion prison.

I'm guessing part of the reason is that they are so safe and free
of stress - but I'd rather die 10-15 years earlier and be free.

Rationally, I know that probably doesn't extrapolate to something
with a single-digit IQ, but I still can't help feeling sorry for
the neighbor's indoor cats when I go to care for them when the
neighbor is away.
--
PeteCresswell
Old June 11th 11, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Gandalf ingold1234:
This is just ANOTHER of the MANY reasons why cats are SAFER, and live
LONGER LIVES, if they stay INSIDE.

Somewhere I read that people live for a very long time in
underground cells in places like Lubianka or Marion prison.

I'm guessing part of the reason is that they are so safe and free
of stress - but I'd rather die 10-15 years earlier and be free.

Rationally, I know that probably doesn't extrapolate to something
with a single-digit IQ, but I still can't help feeling sorry for
the neighbor's indoor cats when I go to care for them when the
neighbor is away.

There is no question that cats are, "SAFER, and live
LONGER LIVES, if they stay INSIDE." The question is, is it better to live a
longer life, or an enjoyable life? If a cat has never been outside, then he
might live a very enjoyable life inside. but if he has lived free all of his
life, then perhaps it would be unkind to force him to abandon that free life
in the interest of safety. All creatures, large and small, have to die
sooner or later. So, you might as well enjoy life while you've got it, and
cats, with no understanding of their own eventual death, can't understand
why they are trapped inside when others can come and go. And, what does it
really matter in a universe that is over 20 billion years old, whether they
live 15 years or 15 months? As long as you give them days that are as
enjoyable as they can get, you can't do any more for them than that.

Old June 12th 11, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Per Gandalf ingold1234:

Old June 12th 11, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
at

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 19:30:49 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Gandalf ingold1234:
[...]

You really are an idiot.

You have reached a new high in self delusion.

Everybody that owns a canary or other bird: according to this numbskull,
you MUST let them ALL go, immediately.

Keeping them in a cage indoors is CRUEL! Set ALL ANIMALS free NOW!

Sure, they'll starve to death, shortly, or die in the fall, when it gets
cold, but they will die HAPPY.

Or so **** for brains says.

Old June 12th 11, 10:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 19:30:49 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Gandalf ingold1234:
[...]

I have an idea Gandy.... Why not make a law that dictates that everyone has
to spend their entire lives in a padded cell? that way, there is no way they
can accidently hurt themselves, and everyone will live as long as is
physically possible. And, as an honorary early proponent of this idea, you
can be the first to enter your cell.......

Old June 13th 11, 06:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Bill Graham wrote:
On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 19:30:49 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Gandalf ingold1234:
[...]

.....Of course, mental health is not guaranteed by the above solution. but
then, you don't care about that, do you Gandy? Going crazy from boredom
doesn't matter a damn to you. Just so long as you live for as long a time as
possible, you will be happy.....

Old June 15th 11, 01:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
at

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 22:48:43 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

Bill Graham wrote:
On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 19:30:49 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Gandalf ingold1234:
[...]

Wow. What an incredibly witty and clever response.

/sarcasm/

I'm having a battle of wits, with an unarmed opponent.

Whales in danger Pat Cat anecdotes 12 June 17th 06 02:22 PM
Harvey isn't in danger Lots42 The Library Avenger Cat anecdotes 20 September 4th 04 06:13 PM
Are these kittens in danger? Doug Bashford Cat health & behaviour 12 July 20th 03 12:58 AM