Kitty goes _outside_ the litter box... help!

Old January 8th 04, 10:59 PM
Luvskats00

Did anything happen to Oreo recently? Did he get into a fight with the other
cat or become upset about something? Did you change the litter or anything
where he might be reaction to a smell of some kind?
Old January 9th 04, 02:31 AM
Scott

Nah.. Oreo has almost always peed outside of the litter box. Ever since I
got him from the shelter 2 years ago. I've put up with it for 2 years, and
have been trying all kinds of ideas.

The only time he uses the litter box is after I've cleaned up the whole
litter area of litter tracks and scooped the litter box.

I tried 2 litter boxes, hoping one cat would use one and the other cat use
the other one. That didn't work out.

I may just have to clean the area and scoop the box more frequently -- like
every day, instead of every 2 days. My other cat Lukey is a lot more
tolerant.

Scott

Old January 9th 04, 02:33 AM
Scott

Very interesting idea!

My last straw will be to increase the frequency of cleaning the litter area
and scooping the litter box. Oreo will use the litter box if it's been
scooped and if there's no litter at all on the ground in the area. I think
he's being too finicky. But, I'll try and increase the cleaning of the area
and scooping the box, and if that doesn't improve things, I'll try the plant
pot idea.

"Karen" wrote in message

Try a potted plant container with cat litter in it since he seemed to like
that shape. Might sound odd, but might work.

Karen

Old January 9th 04, 04:59 AM

Scott wrote:
The only time he uses the litter box is
after I've cleaned up the whole litter area
of litter tracks and scooped the litter box.

Here is your answer. He's been telling you for a long tme.

I tried 2 litter boxes, hoping one cat
would use one and the other cat use the
other one. That didn't work out.

Although the cats may not use them as you desire, I have no doubt they
both used both boxes. Often cats will pee in one box and poop in
another, and, especially when you have a cat that has innappropriate
elimination issues, you should have more than one litterbox. The general
rule of thumb is one box per cat plus one extra.

I may just have to clean the area and
scoop the box more frequently -- like
every day, instead of every 2 days. My
other cat Lukey is a lot more tolerant.

No cat should have to "tolerate" a dirty litterbox. If you do the math,
in two days your litterbox, which is probably an area measuring about
15x20, would contain a minimum of 4 piles of fecal matter and 8 areas of
urine soaked material. If you think about it in that context, can you
blame your kitty for not wanting to have to step in that and instead
choosing to go somewhere else? If you and a friend were made to share a
single toilet, but not be able to flush it for two days, my guess is
that you would be pretty grossed out and have a better understanding of
how your cat feels.

Your best option is to provide the cats with two boxes and scoop them
twice a day. This will take about 5 minutes of your time each day, which
is likely significantly less than the time you spend cleaning up urine.
:-)

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old January 9th 04, 02:36 PM
kaeli

In article , zuzu22
@webtv.net enlightened us with...

Your best option is to provide the cats with two boxes and scoop them
twice a day. This will take about 5 minutes of your time each day, which
is likely significantly less than the time you spend cleaning up urine.
:-)

Megan

That's a good way to look at it! hehe

~kaeli~