Help!!! Cats meows constantly

Old March 25th 04, 05:06 AM
Agua Girl

"rob" wrote in message
news:gSu8c.901471$ts4.126373@pd7tw3no...
Hi All,

I'm about to go insane - our cat will not shut up. He's taken to meowing,
literally, once every 2 seconds or so for up to an hour at a time or more

in
an effort to get me to let him outside. He was an indoor cat for a long

time
until we moved to a house with a back yard that we could completely close
off. Now, he wants nothing but to be outside, all the time. Morning, noon

&
night he meows... constantly. It's like his brain is stuck in some endless
loop. He is neither ill nor injured, btw. We never let him out when he is
meowing, only when he's quiet & pleasant - it's our feeble attempt at
positive reinforcement. We're also attempting negative reinforcement

(squirt
him with a water pistol, soak his tail in the bath, tether him to the
furniture, etc, when he meows constantly), but nothing is working. We're
half starting to consider options like a shock collar or even de-meowing
surgery. Those are the last things we'd want to do, but honestly, we are

at
the end of our rope. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

Get him a cat door. If he is safe in the back yard and you are comfortable
with him back there. that is.
He isn't "meowing"...he is communicating. He wants something and this is
his way of letting you know. If it's at a time of day when he can't be let
out, tell him no and then do your best to ignore him. No negative
reinforcement...just "no".
I talk to Sasha. Not just kitty talk but real talk. I tell her "No Sash,
no
going outside right now, I have to leave in 10 minutes but maybe when
I get back...etc.". Obviously she doesn't comprehend all that but it
seems like she gets the idea.
I am assuming your cat is neutered. (if not, that IS the problem). Does
he have adequate toys and climbing stuff inside? Could be he is yammering
all the time out of boredom.

AG

Rob

Old March 25th 04, 08:41 AM
M.C. Mullen

"rob" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
| Hi All,
|
| I'm about to go insane - our cat will not shut up. He's taken to meowing,
| literally, once every 2 seconds or so for up to an hour at a time or more
in
| an effort to get me to let him outside. He was an indoor cat for a long
time
| until we moved to a house with a back yard that we could completely close
| off. Now, he wants nothing but to be outside, all the time. Morning, noon
&
| night he meows... constantly. It's like his brain is stuck in some endless
| loop. He is neither ill nor injured, btw. We never let him out when he is
| meowing, only when he's quiet & pleasant - it's our feeble attempt at
| positive reinforcement.

Cats are not like dogs - forget about this one.

| We're also attempting negative reinforcement (squirt
| him with a water pistol, soak his tail in the bath, tether him to the
| furniture, etc, when he meows constantly), but nothing is working.

If I got this treatment I'd meow too!

| We're
| half starting to consider options like a shock collar or even de-meowing
| surgery. Those are the last things we'd want to do, but honestly, we are
at
| the end of our rope. Any suggestions?
|
| Thanks in advance...
|

| Rob

Why can't he have a cat door?

Old March 25th 04, 08:41 AM
M.C. Mullen

"rob" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
| Hi All,
|
| I'm about to go insane - our cat will not shut up. He's taken to meowing,
| literally, once every 2 seconds or so for up to an hour at a time or more
in
| an effort to get me to let him outside. He was an indoor cat for a long
time
| until we moved to a house with a back yard that we could completely close
| off. Now, he wants nothing but to be outside, all the time. Morning, noon
&
| night he meows... constantly. It's like his brain is stuck in some endless
| loop. He is neither ill nor injured, btw. We never let him out when he is
| meowing, only when he's quiet & pleasant - it's our feeble attempt at
| positive reinforcement.

Cats are not like dogs - forget about this one.

| We're also attempting negative reinforcement (squirt
| him with a water pistol, soak his tail in the bath, tether him to the
| furniture, etc, when he meows constantly), but nothing is working.

If I got this treatment I'd meow too!

| We're
| half starting to consider options like a shock collar or even de-meowing
| surgery. Those are the last things we'd want to do, but honestly, we are
at
| the end of our rope. Any suggestions?
|
| Thanks in advance...
|

| Rob

Why can't he have a cat door?

Old March 25th 04, 08:42 AM
'cedes

Rob,
How about you make your back yard escape proof and let him out there as much
as he wants? In order to save your sanity, I am sending you some really good
links on how to make your yard escape-proof for your cat. Provide him with
an indoor-outdoor door, and the meowing will forever stop.
I feel your frustration, but I KNOW that there is an answer to be found in
the links below. By the way, no reputable vet will "de-meow" a cat. A shock
collar could easily give him a heart attack. Tethering him to something
could lead to strangulation. Consider the below links;
http://www.just4cats.com/page7.html
http://www.lisaviolet.com/cathouse/backyard.html

Screened-in veranda; http://www.cat-world.com.au/Veranda.jpg

http://www.catfencein.com/http://www...m/pictures.htm

http://www.feralcat.com/fence.html

http://www.friendlyfence.com/ff/prod...OVMTC=standard

Rob, let me know if I can provide you with any more help on this. One other
suggestion; How about a companion kitty for your cat? This is a sure-fire
solution. Good luck! Carol Take the nospam out of

Old March 25th 04, 10:24 AM
Jeannie

Put a cat flap in the door to your yard. I would suggest getting one with a
magnetically operated catch otherwise you may encounter the problem (as I
did) of stray cats appearing in your house whenever they like. Another plus
with these kind of cat flaps is that you can totally lock them at night so
your cat can't get out at all.

Jeannie