Caring for a stray (1): how to tell if she is hungry or has eaten?

Old September 29th 05, 08:39 AM
Ajanta

Default Caring for a stray (1): how to tell if she is hungry or has eaten?

With no experience in pets, I started feeding a stray/homeless cat.
Initially, I later learned, she was fed by a nighbor, but felt
harrassed by his cat and children. So she would eat there but climb one
floor up to my porch to relax. It is quieter, sunnier, higher up here.
That's how we met. She was always friendly, dignified, independent.
Never made a mess, never begged, and always wanted to leave after a few
hours. I never knew and still don't all the places she goes to.

When my neighbor left for Europe, it fell upon me to take over feeding.
That was a minor adjustment for her and she easily learned it.

Now, it sounds stupid, but here is my problem: She is not my pet, I
don't know all the places she roams, she may well have other sources of
food even if they are not stable, and I cannot tell when she is really
hungry and when she has already eaten enough elsewhere.

As I said she does not let me know she is hungry but comes and hangs
around. If I don't offer her food, she won't beg. But, perhaps because
she may have spent many hungry days, she finds it hard to resist the
food that is offered. (On rare occasions, when she is neither hungry
nor likes the food served, she'd eat only a little and most of it is
wasted, but that is the smaller problem.) The bigger and more frequent
problem is that she already ate something, tends to overeat and get
sick. This happens about once a week.

So, dear experts on cat behavior, please help me figure this out. How
can I get a hint whether she is hungry or full?

I have tried asking around if anyone feeds her (no one I asked). I have
tried putting a can in front of her and watch her reaction, but I have
no clue until I open the can and watch the results. (Sorry to be gross,
but I can tell from her vomit that mostly it isn't hairball but some
food in addition to what I gave.)

Thanks!
Old September 29th 05, 01:54 PM
whayface

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 07:39:29 GMT, Ajanta wrote:

[...]

I would say to leave a bowl of dry food out where she can get at it and eat whenever it is
hungry along with some water and ocassionaly give it some canned.

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/strays.htm

Old September 29th 05, 06:46 PM
Jason James

"Ajanta" wrote in message
With no experience in pets, I started feeding a stray/homeless cat.
Initially, I later learned, she was fed by a nighbor,

Yeah, they will have multiple feeding points,..it's part of their survival
response.

but felt
harrassed by his cat and children. So she would eat there but climb one
floor up to my porch to relax. It is quieter, sunnier, higher up here.
That's how we met. She was always friendly, dignified, independent.
Never made a mess, never begged, and always wanted to leave after a few
hours. I never knew and still don't all the places she goes to.

They usually all do that. They are conditioned to live outside. Don't feel
as tho she is rejecting you. She's just doing her rounds. Eventually, she
will spend more and more time with you, as she feels she's wanted and
there's food there every time.

When my neighbor left for Europe, it fell upon me to take over feeding.
That was a minor adjustment for her and she easily learned it.

Now, it sounds stupid, but here is my problem: She is not my pet, I
don't know all the places she roams, she may well have other sources of
food even if they are not stable, and I cannot tell when she is really
hungry and when she has already eaten enough elsewhere.

As far as I know, cats don't eat unless they are hungary. They may just take
a nibble,..but no more than that if they're full.

As I said she does not let me know she is hungry but comes and hangs
around. If I don't offer her food, she won't beg. But, perhaps because
she may have spent many hungry days, she finds it hard to resist the
food that is offered. (On rare occasions, when she is neither hungry
nor likes the food served, she'd eat only a little and most of it is
wasted, but that is the smaller problem.) The bigger and more frequent
problem is that she already ate something, tends to overeat and get
sick. This happens about once a week.

So, dear experts on cat behavior, please help me figure this out. How
can I get a hint whether she is hungry or full?

My experience is, that all cats have a routine when they want to tell you
they want some food. Perhaps she gives you more attention or hangs around
the cupboard or kitchen where the food is prepared/ tins opened?

I have tried asking around if anyone feeds her (no one I asked). I have
tried putting a can in front of her and watch her reaction, but I have
no clue until I open the can and watch the results. (Sorry to be gross,
but I can tell from her vomit that mostly it isn't hairball but some
food in addition to what I gave.)

The vomiting maybe just a response to a different food, or she has just
ingested some grass, or she maybe feeling a little off. Cats eat grass to
make themselves vomit,...but I get the impression, some do it (eat grass) as
a reflex, even when they aren't feeling sick.

Thanks!

Jason

Old September 29th 05, 07:56 PM
Brian Link

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:54:53 GMT, whayface
wrote:

[...]

One thing I've noticed is that the squirrels love the dry catfood I
put out.. =(

BLink
Old September 29th 05, 08:01 PM
Ajanta

Jason James wrote:

Thanks Jason. Internet is a wonderful thing, still capable of amazing
me that I can post a question in Chicgao and get a response from
Australia...

: My experience is, that all cats have a routine when they want to tell you
: they want some food. Perhaps she gives you more attention or hangs
: around the cupboard or kitchen where the food is prepared/ tins opened?

Certainly, if I walk to the cupboard she follows, if I show a can she'd
try to paw it, if I open the can she perks up. But she does it all the
time, not more when she is hungry and less when she should not be. At
least I have not been able to differentiate.

Maybe the problem is I have always fed her promptly when she arrived,
so she knows food is coming and doesn't have to tell me anything? I can
try to play cool and see what happens. Of course, you hate to play such
games with a little animal.

: The vomiting maybe just a response to a different food, or she has just
: ingested some grass, or she maybe feeling a little off.

She does eat "different" foods, but the vomiting comes only every 7-8
days.

As I said I had no experience with pets. When I started with this cat,
I read a little and the consensus was canned food is better than dry
for their health. So I started buying canned, whatever was on sale.
This way I have fed her many different brands and many varieties within
a brand. She is pretty good about eating what I offer except a few
types she clearly doesn't like and I avoid those.

I get 5.5 oz cans and one suffices for two meals. I am not very good at
reheating the refrigerated portion, because she is always more
enthusiastic about the first 1/2 of the can than the second. This is
regardless of brands and type.

: Cats eat grass to make themselves vomit...

Well, she does have access to a lot of grass! Does this mean an
indoor-only cat vomits less?
Old September 29th 05, 09:02 PM
whitershadeofpale

Jason James wrote:
"Ajanta" wrote in message
With no experience in pets, I started feeding a stray/homeless cat.
Initially, I later learned, she was fed by a nighbor,

Yeah, they will have multiple feeding points,..it's part of their survival
response.

This would explain my own behavior

Thanks JJ

Old September 30th 05, 12:18 AM
Observer

"Ajanta" wrote in message
[...]

I am an expert on feral and or palpable strays. The responses you got were
terrific, and all were true to my own experience. My concern is whether she
is spayed or not--a question that will soon be answered if she is
accompanied by roaming toms who pick up the mating scent.

If she is palpable and you notice an influx of male activity, for goodness
sake scoop her up and spend the necessary funds to get her fixed. If that
is not in your budget, look for municipal or charitable orgs that will do it
cheap (and safely).

Otherwise your next posting to this group will be a query about how to
attend to a litter of kittens g.

--The Observer

Old September 30th 05, 12:52 AM
Ajanta

Observer same@ wrote:

: If she is palpable and you notice an influx of male activity, for goodness
: sake scoop her up and spend the necessary funds to get her fixed. If that
: is not in your budget, look for municipal or charitable orgs that will do it
: cheap (and safely).

Thanks. Actually, I just posted that question in another thread:

: Subject: Caring for a stray (3): Any charitable vets/clinics in greater
: Chicago area?
:
: "Still continuing about the stray/homeless cat I feed...
: I don't know if she has been spayed, gotten any shots ever, what her
: general health condition is, etc.
:
: "It would give me great peace of mind if there are any charitable vets
: or clinics in greater Chicago area, who could examine her and provide
: whatever they deem necessary.
:
: "I have never had pets, and don't know the scene. We would be grateful
: for any reference. I don't mind driving 1-2 hours for good quality
: service."

No replies so far. I would like her to be examined, get speayed if
needed, and get any required shots.
Old September 30th 05, 01:05 AM
mlbriggs

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 07:39:29 +0000, Ajanta wrote:

[...]

Have you tried inviting her to come in? MLB

Old September 30th 05, 01:45 AM
whayface

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:56:23 -0500, Brian Link wrote:

[...]

Here when I put the dry food out the birds find it and have a field day or picnic,
especially during the winter, no matter where I put it. Even under porch with a hole just
big enough for cats.