Cat gagging on mouth stitches

Old April 13th 08, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Cat gagging on mouth stitches

My senior boy had all of his upper molars extracted last Tuesday,
along with one canine. He has stomatitis. He's been doing really well
(and would have eaten a bucket full of canned food the minute he was
home from the hospital). His vet called Friday to check on him, and I
did ask if he had stitches. He does, the kind that dissolve.

He's mostly okay with it except after he eats (canned food only). He
kind of gags a little bit, and does a thing with his mouth that's hard
to explain. Imagine a cat with peanut butter in his mouth and trying
to get rid of it....that's kind of like what he does. He even takes
his front paws and paws at his mouth, as if trying to get it out. (But
he can't get his paws IN his mouth, I'm sure a good thing)

Is this normal, and is there any way I can comfort him or help him
feel better?

I'm remembering a couple of months ago when I had a wisdom tooth
pulled, and they used those dissolve stitches - it was an upper tooth.
As the stitches started falling apart, it was strings hanging into my
mouth and it tickled my mouth. Not in a good way. It was annoying as
hell and my instinct was to reach in and pull them out. I didn't,
because I knew better. But I think the same thing is happening to my
boy.

If I hadn't had those stitches myself, I think I'd be more worried.
When she called on Friday, this had just barely started. Yesterday he
started pawing at his mouth. Today he's actually kind of gagging,
almost like a bad hairball, and does that thing where his entire body
rolls out of his stomach out his mouth. (If that makes any sense...if
you've watched a hairball attack, you probably know what I mean)

But he doesn't actually hack anything up. Today his tongue actually
hung out for a few seconds. He's okay now, just resting.

Any suggestions? Is this anything to worry about and call the vet in
the morning, or just normal stuff? I feel really badly for him.

His appetite is pretty good. Not as good as normal, but he's eating
enough.

Thanks everyone!
Old April 14th 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot[_2_]

I'd call the vet and ask him about it. Yes they are dissolving stitches but
these things don't always dissolve. Maybe one of them needs snipped and
removed but only the vet should do that.

Celeste

Old April 14th 08, 02:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Apr 13, 9:20*pm, "Spot" wrote:
I'd call the vet and ask him about it. *Yes they are dissolving stitches but
these things don't always dissolve. *Maybe one of them needs snipped and
removed but only the vet should do that.

Celeste

I agree with Celeste. It can't hurt to call the vet. It's possible one
of the ends of the stitches is a bit long and is bothering him.

ot stitches away Marina Cat anecdotes 9 February 21st 08 05:16 AM
Fireman saves cat by giving mouth to mouth CPR stonej Cat health & behaviour 0 October 30th 07 12:46 PM
Stitches Out Today! CatNipped Cat health & behaviour 16 March 27th 05 07:08 AM
Gagging? Jo Ann Cat health & behaviour 3 December 18th 04 12:09 AM
Mouth-to-mouth saves cat's life me Cat health & behaviour 8 July 12th 03 03:49 PM