Opinion / helpful suggestions about what to do with a neighborhood cat needed. (LONG)

Old November 27th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut

Default Opinion / helpful suggestions about what to do with a neighborhood cat needed. (LONG)

This is a little on long side but want to give a little background.

There is a neighbor that has several cats that roam the neighborhood
of which one of them is (He says) about 11 years old and this is the
one I am asking about.

Earlier this summer they started hanging around because I was feeding
strays (Which I found homes for all or took to shelters). Thing is
this old guy had fleas so bad that when I combed him I could go no
more then 1/2 an inch with out hitting a flea/tick bump. Over the
summer I got him cleared up plus treated his over issues.

When it started getting cold I got the owner to take him indoors
because he started getting colds and acted like he was getting aches
and pains from the cold and I felt sorry for him laying out in the
yard 24/7 even though I got him a dog house to use. I even got the
owner a couple cases of canned food that I had been feeding them
because he just fed him dry and I did not want him to go cold turkey
of the canned. I also got on his case about the cats condition and he
said he is moving in spring and wanted to get rid of some of cats
(which I am working on) but did not want to let the old guy go. That
was about a month ago.

Thing is the old guy got out and came down again and he is now covered
in fleas/ticks worse then before. I am thinking about taking him to
county shelter which is not non kill. The only other shelter only
takes younger animals that they can easily find homes for. I can not
take him because I already have 4 and with Michigan winter coming it
is too cold for him and if he goes back home I am afraid he will
suffer and slowly die from the fleas/ticks.

These people can not afford these cats. They are on food stamps and
WIC coupons (I seen them in the grocery store). They took the
aluminum siding off their house to sell and are over $300 in arrears
on their water bill (Found on city web site) which give you a little
info on them.

The only choices I can take is to send the old guy back to his LEGAL
owner to probably die a slow death :-( or let him spend the
winter in the cold or take to shelter (I tryed to find home for him
but could not).

The way I see it is the only humane thing for THIS cat is to take him
to the shelter and hope for the best.

Opinions??
Old November 27th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
maja

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:34:07 +0000, kraut wrote:

[...]

Snip

This is not only poverty. He could keep his cats inside in
the cold and the heat. He could invest a dollar/euro on a fleacomb, two
dollars/euro on a fleacollar (and check the cats for ticks). In my part of
the world no-brand canned complete food is 20 cent and 3 kilo store-brand
dry complete food is 2 dollar/euro. He could take better care of the cats
with little or no cost. The owner is (partly) irresponsible.

The only choices I can take is to send the old guy back to his LEGAL owner
to probably die a slow death :-( or let him spend the winter in the cold
or take to shelter (I tryed to find home for him but could not).

The way I see it is the only humane thing for THIS cat is to take him to
the shelter and hope for the best.

Opinions??

Perhaps the country shelter is best. I do not think you would have problems with
ownership (he gave his property no proper care) or you could just deny
everything. But a cat of 11 years is mature, not old. You could comb him
and take care of his other problems so I think he is friendly and social.
There must be working people (single/couple) who want a friendly,
mature and calm cat.

Best of luck
Old November 27th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot

I would approach him again and ask if you can take the cat in and find him
another home. Just tell him he's too old to be outside in this cold at 11
years old he's not going to make it through the winter if he's gotten colds
already. If nothing get resolved this way then contact the SPCA and see if
they can't do something.

The thing is unless you take him in or someone you know does if he goes to a
shelter chances are he's going to be put to sleep.

Celeste

Old November 27th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

kraut wrote:
This is a little on long side but want to give a little background.

You have already answered your question. The cat is roaming so is fair
game. Take him to the shelter where he will have a better life.

-L.

Old November 28th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Julie Porter

I can't agree more. The "owner" has shown that he can't or won't take
care of the cat, even knowing that he's jeopardizing the cat. The cat is
going to be a lot better off at a no-kill shelter. He's certain to die
otherwise. I also would NOT advise the owner that you're doing this on
the off chance that he kills the cat out of irritation or does something
else ill-advised.

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Old November 28th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

kraut wrote:
This is a little on long side but want to give a little background.

You have already answered your question. The cat is roaming so is fair
game. Take him to the shelter where he will have a better life.

-L.

And I really don't see how they can prosecute as they are selling the
aluminium off their house....give him a better life while he still has a
chance. If they cared for him they would at least keep him indoors

Old November 28th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
2oz

kraut wrote:

Opinions??

hell, as poor as the owners are i bet they'd appreciate a nice store
bought cake as a gift
( a gift in secret pacifies anger)

THEN... tell them your hearts troubles

poor ain't nothing brutha! poor is poor...
so poor? so what.. don't let poor be a stumbling block
bebeath the lack is the same heart you tout

anyway

HELL YES!

you think they wouldn't BRIGHT UP at someone spending money on dey cat?

I say approach them with a few bux to spend on the cat

I mean that's what it comes down to right?

or hell.. slowly educate them.. OR show them what they are missing

thing is.. if you just cart cat off to no-kill shelter little ****er is
out of his element
no no.. live an let live

cats got more fur than you imagine
dont anthromorphosize, don't shiver for the cat
(btw how cold is it in your hood these days?, lol)

NO you don't owe then nothing.. but I like the part where IF
you can afford to do good and you find a way to do it

WHOEVER SAID THAT DOING GOOD WAS EASY
WHOEVER SAID THAT DOING A GOOD DEED WOULD PRESENT ITSELF
maybe it's ok to make way to do good..

I like what you're doing, walk over there right now, it's only 7:30pm

i bet you sleep with a big **** eatin grin on your face tonight

stop pretending the cat is a human, give the cat some credit for
durability (except the fleas).. otherwise.. CARRY YOUR ASS DOWN TO THE
SUPERMARKET AND GET SOME FUNKY FLEA MEDSIN...

stop bucking up at dey poverty.. their lack is a stumbling block for
you

this post is not about what is right, your post is you telling how
their poverty is a stumbling block

or.. you're scared that if you do what you know is right you won't get
no credit

seeing they are poor ass mf's...

carry your ass down and get some flea spray yo!

and a cake

Old November 28th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut

Thanks all for your opinions on this.

I have started him on flea/tick treatment again and I have tryed to
find a home for him in the past with no luck. I have found homes for
so many others that I have hit up just about everyone I know and
between me, my ex and my ex-mother in law we have taken in about 16
cats / kittens now and can not afford more.

I guess for now I will just leave him be until I can get his
fleas/ticks cleared up again and until it gets to cold for him in my
opinion. I do know that I am in no hurry to return him to his
"OWNER"!!

Old November 28th 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Candace

Julie Porter wrote:
I can't agree more. The "owner" has shown that he can't or won't take
care of the cat, even knowing that he's jeopardizing the cat. The cat is
going to be a lot better off at a no-kill shelter. He's certain to die
otherwise. I also would NOT advise the owner that you're doing this on
the off chance that he kills the cat out of irritation or does something
else ill-advised.

It's a KILL shelter, not a no-kill shleter. I would NOT take him to a
kill shelter, he will be euthanized. I would look around and find a
no-kill or rescue. There must be one, you might have to give a small
donation so they wil take him but then you will know he is at least
safe.

Please don't take him to a kill shelter. Run some ads, make some
calls, there has to be a no-kill facility somewhere around.

Candace

Old November 28th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

2oz wrote:
kraut wrote:

Opinions??

hell, as poor as the owners are i bet they'd appreciate a nice store
bought cake as a gift
( a gift in secret pacifies anger)

You sure know a lot about passive-aggressiveness.

THEN... tell them your hearts troubles

poor ain't nothing brutha! poor is poor...
so poor? so what.. don't let poor be a stumbling block
bebeath the lack is the same heart you tout

You sure know a lot about poor.

anyway

HELL YES!

you think they wouldn't BRIGHT UP at someone spending money on dey cat?

I say approach them with a few bux to spend on the cat

I mean that's what it comes down to right?

or hell.. slowly educate them.. OR show them what they are missing

thing is.. if you just cart cat off to no-kill shelter little ****er is
out of his element
no no.. live an let live

cats got more fur than you imagine
dont anthromorphosize, don't shiver for the cat
(btw how cold is it in your hood these days?, lol)

Cats freeze to death every day - especially old, thin ones.

NO you don't owe then nothing.. but I like the part where IF
you can afford to do good and you find a way to do it

WHOEVER SAID THAT DOING GOOD WAS EASY
WHOEVER SAID THAT DOING A GOOD DEED WOULD PRESENT ITSELF
maybe it's ok to make way to do good..

I like what you're doing, walk over there right now, it's only 7:30pm

i bet you sleep with a big **** eatin grin on your face tonight

stop pretending the cat is a human, give the cat some credit for
durability (except the fleas).. otherwise.. CARRY YOUR ASS DOWN TO THE
SUPERMARKET AND GET SOME FUNKY FLEA MEDSIN...

Do not use grocery store flea meds on a cat. Revolution, Advantage or
Frontline are the only ones that are safe.

stop bucking up at dey poverty.. their lack is a stumbling block for
you

this post is not about what is right, your post is you telling how
their poverty is a stumbling block

or.. you're scared that if you do what you know is right you won't get
no credit

seeing they are poor ass mf's...

YOU sure know a lot about poor ass mo fos!

How's that shiny bald head of your'n?

-L.