Your Someday List

Old February 13th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Default Your Someday List

I know the movie calls it your "bucket list" but I've always called it
my someday list.

Someday I'm going to:

drive the Blue Ridge Parkway,
Visit Florida and see if the ocean is as blue as in the pictures,
Visit England, Finland, Sweden, Germany, Greek Islands, Slovenia,
parts of Spaiin, New Zealand, Australia, Austria, Holland, Central
America (especially Honduras), Carribean Islands, Parts of the USA we
haven't made it to yet like New England, Michigan, Wisconsin, and so
forth
Take a cruise.
visit with more cat friends,
get my Bachelor of Arts English Education and teaching certification,
Take video of all of us on vacation,
Read all of the books on the American Library's top 100 list
Same with the New York Times top 100 list,
move to some place that gets more snow than here, but isn't totally
swamped every year,
have a siamese kitty claim me as a slave
see all of my children marry the right person for them
See the USA with a camper/RV so we can all go

What I/we've already done

Seen Wierd Al in concert,
Visited the Grand Canyon,
Taken that left turn in Albuquerque (yeah, I spelled that one wrong,
but we did it)
Met some of the many fine people in this group.
visited both Pacific and Atlantic Oceans
flew a kite at kitty hawk
met and married the man of my dreams
camped at the outer banks here in North Carolina,
Snuggled in front of a fire place with a good book, a glass of burbon
(I can't do wine) and a good man
learned to use a computer for fun and school and am getting over the
worst of the fear of the lap top
(briefly) had the WWW high score in a game (bounce) it lasted about 15
minutes, but it felt wonderful
helped people and animals who needed me (still ongoing)

I'm sure there is more for both lists, but I'm starting to want to
repeat myself

What is on your "Someday" List and what dreams have you fulfilled?

Pam S.
(North Carolina, USA)

Old February 14th 08, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

[...]

Someday.

I want to eat lobster at a picnic table on the coast of Maine. Preferably
in the fall.
See Paris and London.
It would be nice to live long enough to see my new granddaughter get married
(or graduate from college, her choice)

Not done but scratched from list anyway.

Go to New Orleans for Mardi Gras
Hike the Appalachian Trail
Take a Hatteras Cruiser from the Chesapeake Bay to Seattle. (If you are
going to dream, dream big)

Been there, done that.

Seen most of the 50 states. Including Alaska and Hawaii.
Done some wonderful camping.
Been part of a mostly terrific family.
Made a home I'm happy with.
Finished a Masters in Taxation and got my CPA license.
Run my own business.
Read everything I could get my hands on for sixty years.
Experienced amazing music while I still could.

Jo

Old February 14th 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jofirey wrote:

Someday.

I want to eat lobster at a picnic table on the coast of Maine.
Preferably in the fall.

Did this! Lobster, corn on the cob, cole slaw, bread, the works. This
was quite some time ago, over 20 years.

I did it in the summer, though, and may I suggest that you do the same,
unless you're planning to have lobster for lunch? If you do this for
dinner, it will be quite chilly outdoors in the evening. In the summer,
it's comfortable in the evening by the coast, not too hot, and still
light out.

Joyce

Old February 14th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Your Someday List (Long)

"tanadashoes" wrote in message

There isn't a whole lot I'm determined to do now.

I am going to a meet at Lake Tahoe with some newsgroup friends in September.

I would like to attend the Toastmasters International Convention in Sydney
Australia in 2010, but I doubt if I'll be able to scrape up the money.

I'd like to win a Toastmasters speech contest at the third level, which I've
never done in all my years of competing.

When it comes to what I've done, the following says it best, although it is
long. I wrote it a few months ago.

Joy

If I should Die Today

Joy Irene Walter Gaylord

If I should die today, don't mourn for me. Miss me a little, but not so
much that it interferes with your enjoyment of your own life. I've had a
wonderful life, and if I should die today, it would be in the happy
knowledge that nearly every dream I've ever had has come true, and I've had
some wonderful experiences I never dreamed of.

When I was growing up, I had two dreams - I wanted to fly, but thought it
would never happen; and I wanted to get married and raise a family. Both of
those dreams were fulfilled.

I had to wait until I was in my 40s before I fulfilled my dream of flying,
but the wait made the reality all the sweeter. If you wish, the following
poem might be read at my memorial service, if there is one. The 19-year-old
pilot who wrote that captured my feelings about flying perfectly.

High Flight John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth And danced the skies on
laughter-silvered wings; Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds--and done a hundred things You have not dreamed
of--wheeled and soared and swung High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung My eager craft through
footless halls of air. Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue I've topped
the windswept heights with easy grace Where never lark, or even eagle flew.
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod The high untrespassed
sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

I have had the opportunity to fly in small planes and jumbo jets, in
helicopters and balloons. I've even had the wonderful, terrifying
experience of jumping out of an airplane - three times!

I have flown over Niagara Falls, the barren dessert of the Red Center of
Australia and the snow-capped mountains of Alaska. I have walked on a
glacier. I have been white water rafting.

I was fortunate enough to have a good marriage, which lasted almost 30
years. It wasn't perfect, of course, because we weren't perfect, but it was
very good. We loved each other and our children, and shared many interests
and many good times. I would have liked it to last longer, but I have made
a good life for myself since then, and have grown in ways I wouldn't have if
Jim had lived longer.

I have gone on an ocean cruise. I have cruised canals in Amsterdam, England
and France. I have ridden trains and buses in Australia and Europe. I have
seen Niagara Falls in the United States and Canada, Uluru (Ayres Rock) and
Kata Tjuta (the Olgas) in Australia and Mt. McKinley in Alaska.

I had two wonderful children, who were a great comfort to me when Jim died,
and who are my good friends now. I am very proud of both of you and what
you have done with your lives. Irene made a good choice for a husband, and
I am happy that Dave and I have been able to be friends. I haven't given up
the hope that Dan will find someone to share his life, because I know the
comfort of having someone else, but it is his life, and he will do whatever
he needs to do.

I was happy when I was staying home and raising my children, and I am so
glad I was able to do that. When I did look for work outside of my home, I
was fortunate enough to find work that I enjoyed most of the time.

As an adult, I dreamed of traveling to foreign countries. I never thought
that would happen either, but it did. I've been to England twice, and to
six countries in continental Europe. I've been to Australia four times, and
have met Internet friends and made new Toastmaster friends on each trip. I've
seen ancient castles and modern architecture. I've visited the town where
Shakespeare lived, and seen one of his plays in that town. I've seen
demonstrations of Australian Aboriginal culture that dates back tens of
thousands of years.

When I learned to fly, and when I traveled to Australia on my own, I was
told I was brave. I wasn't afraid, so I didn't consider that brave. I
finally decided I wanted to do something that was brave. Since heights
terrify me, I decided to jump out of an airplane. I did that three times.
It was both terrifying and exhilarating.

I've had the benefits of modern technology, especially the computer and the
Internet. Because of the Internet, I've made new friends and met people
from all over the world. Some of my dearest friends are people I have never
met, and probably will meet, but I've known them and had the benefit of
their friendship because of computers and the Internet. I probably would
never have gone to Australia, if it hadn't been for the Australian friends I
made on the Internet.

Another dream I had was of performing before an audience. As an introvert,
I knew that was a silly dream, but through Toastmasters I've been able to
fulfill that dream as well.

I have loved, and been loved by a good man, my children and other family
members, and many friends. I've also loved and been loved by a number of
dogs and cats. A cat is sitting on my lap at this moment, resting his chin
on my hand and making it difficult to write this.

I have had many wonderful experiences with animals. I dreamed of holding a
koala, and I have done that several times. I have held a possum and a baby
crocodile (with its mouth taped shut), and had the opportunity to pet a
Dingo pup, a Tasmanian devil and a wombat. I have ridden horses, a camel
and an elephant. I've been kissed on the nose by a blue-tongued lizard. I've
seen moose, bear, caribou, koalas and kangaroos in the wild, as well as many
different kinds of exotic birds. I've heard a kookaburra call. I've seen
sea otters, dolphins and whales in the ocean.

I have had the opportunity to play mind-challenging games and have
discussions with extremely intelligent people. I have known wonderful
people from many walks of life, many nationalities, races and creeds. I
have known highly educated people, and some who were barely literate. Every
person I've met has enriched my life in some way. My grandmother was right
when she said, "Get the goodie out of people." Everyone has something to
offer, and when I've look for that instead of looking at things I don't
like, I have gained so much.

I've occasionally had opportunities to help people, and I have been helped
by many others.

I've read thousands of books, some excellent, most good, a few mediocre. I
have gained something from all of them, even if only temporary
entertainment.

I've had the opportunity to see live performances by Marcel Marceau, The
Irish Rovers, The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem, Lily Tomlin, Alan Alda,
George Burns, Steve Allen, Johnny Cash, the Smothers Brothers and many
others.

I have learned much, and forgotten a lot of it. I have memories I will keep
to my dying day, and, I hope, beyond. I don't know what comes after this
life, but that doesn't bother me. If it's nothing, I'll never know it. If
it's something, whatever it is will surely be interesting, and probably
exciting.

I have a few regrets - things I wish I'd done, or not done, or done
differently. Mostly these have to do with my relationships with other
people. However, I've finally forgiven myself, and hope that they have
forgiven me.

Most of my life has been so good that I wouldn't change it if I could. If
you remember just one thing about me, let it be this - I really lived!

October 24, 2007

Old March 1st 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

I enjoyed that so much...it made me weepy.
You have been so blessed.
PURRS
Kyla

"Joy"
"tanadashoes" There isn't a whole lot I'm determined to do now.

Old March 1st 08, 07:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Yes, I have, and I have always known it.

I often hear people say, "Why me?" when something bad happens. I've had so
many times I've said, "Why me?" because of my good fortune. I don't know
why I've had so many good things happen in my life, but I really appreciate
it.

--
Joy

Constant change is here to stay.

Someday.... Gandalf Cat anecdotes 8 December 17th 07 10:19 PM
Need help getting on Xmas list Enfilade Cat anecdotes 3 September 27th 07 12:49 AM
TOP LIST hymsbb Cat health & behaviour 0 March 27th 07 11:02 AM
Christmas List Renee D. Cat anecdotes 53 November 28th 04 02:44 AM