Giving Cats Meds - I Am Going Insane

Old September 4th 03, 12:59 PM
Karen Chuplis

Default Giving Cats Meds - I Am Going Insane

in article , Tony at
obs wrote on 9/4/03 6:37 AM:

Is it just me. When ever I have to give any or all of my 5 cats meds it is
total chaos. Cats running in all directions, banging into things or each
other.
I cant even give them Advantage anymore. As soon as they see me fiddling with
the Advantage package they go nuts. I have tried sneaking up on them when they
are sleeping but when I get within 5ft of them holding the vial they wake up,
squint their eyes and run.

I recently posted here about the abandoned kitten I adopted. He had ear mites
(among other things). Right now he is no problem and I successfully gave him
the ear drops every time. The other cats need it as well. Same situation
though
- cant get near them. Normally these cats are all extremely friendly, love
attention and love people. But when it comes to meds its like no matter what I
try they know my intentions. Do they have one of those Frankenstein tables
with
the straps for cats?

Any suggestions?

Tony

I would use a special room. Take them in one at a time and treat them. Cats
like schedules and routine. Also, for adminstering meds, I am most
successful having everything ready. I wrap the cat in a blanket ala:

http://www.lbah.com/ear_cleaning.htm#fr

and pop the pill in using a pill gun. Takes about 30 seconds, no trauma and
followed by a treat. My two cents, but I would sure make a plan like that.

Karen

Old September 4th 03, 02:41 PM
kaeli

In article , alg460
@aol.comnobs enlightened us with...
But when it comes to meds its like no matter what I
try they know my intentions. Do they have one of those Frankenstein tables with
the straps for cats?

Any suggestions?

Stop opening the package first.

Get the medicine. Put it in the bathroom. Leave it there.

THEN get the cat LATER and bring it into the bathroom and close the
door.

A hint from someone who had an ear mite problem with her cats. *G*

~kaeli~
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading
my hard disk?
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace