OT Rant - Update...& the cat flap

Old January 31st 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default OT Rant - Update...& the cat flap

I emailed the course tutor for the teacher training course asking about
my application. She was very good, and emailed me back with a reason
about why I had been rejected.

Turns out that she had made a king sized mistake! An administrative
error by accident had meant that I was automatically refused a place at
teacher training college. She is sorting it out tomorrow and I'm going
to be invited to interview in the next couple of weeks.

Somewhat of a relief, I can tell you!

Oh, and the cat flap is still flapping 90 to the dozen. The cats are
having a blast, and mommy is happy because she doesn't have to leave the
door open! For a special treat, I've let them out later than normal so
they're all playing in the garden in the DARK, which is apparently
(according to Lily) WAY COOL MOM!!!

Helen M

Old January 31st 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-01-31, Helen Miles penned:

Turns out that she had made a king sized mistake! An administrative
error by accident had meant that I was automatically refused a place
at teacher training college. She is sorting it out tomorrow and I'm
going to be invited to interview in the next couple of weeks.

Somewhat of a relief, I can tell you!

Is this one of those weird British usages of words, like how "quite"
means "a little bit" and not "very"?

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old January 31st 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Helen Miles wrote:
I emailed the course tutor for the teacher training course asking
about my application. She was very good, and emailed me back with a
reason about why I had been rejected.

Turns out that she had made a king sized mistake! An administrative
error by accident had meant that I was automatically refused a place
at teacher training college. She is sorting it out tomorrow and I'm
going to be invited to interview in the next couple of weeks.

Somewhat of a relief, I can tell you!

What great news! I just knew it had to be a mistake. Congratulations and
best luck on your interview!

Oh, and the cat flap is still flapping 90 to the dozen. The cats are
having a blast, and mommy is happy because she doesn't have to leave
the door open! For a special treat, I've let them out later than
normal so they're all playing in the garden in the DARK, which is
apparently (according to Lily) WAY COOL MOM!!!

LOL! I wish I lived an area where I could utilize a cat flap. No outdoor
kitty here; it's too dangerous. As it is, the KittyWalk works fine for
Persia except she always wants out when it's pouring down rain. I tell her,
"it's raining" and she looks out and sometimes still insists. When she does
I say OK and I put her in it and of course she reacts by yelling, "Hey!
It's wet out here!" G Persia, I told you so!

Jill

Old January 31st 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

Is this one of those weird British usages of words, like how "quite"
means "a little bit" and not "very"?///

Personally, I equate her "King sized mistake" to "Monumental F*ck-up",
but fortunately my diplomatic email prevailed over what I really wanted
to write at the time, and this is the result. )

Hey ho - I've learned a valuable lesson from this - always question what
you don't understand and don't be afraid to ask for an explaination. I
*was* initally going to let the matter ride because I've been in quite a
negative frame of mind recently, and things have been ****ty - it was
*just another blow*, but it seems that the power of purr and a positive
kick up the backside & and a stiff talking to from close friends can
work wonders!

Helen M

Old January 31st 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 13:16:36 -0700, "Monique Y. Mudama"

On 2006-01-31, Helen Miles penned:

Turns out that she had made a king sized mistake! An administrative
error by accident had meant that I was automatically refused a place
at teacher training college. She is sorting it out tomorrow and I'm
going to be invited to interview in the next couple of weeks.

Somewhat of a relief, I can tell you!

Is this one of those weird British usages of words, like how "quite"
means "a little bit" and not "very"?

If you mean "somewhat", then it's often used in an understated or facetious
way.
A different example might be-

"Isn't jumping off that cliff without a parachute a little dangerous?"
"Somewhat. :-)"

Or-
"I'm somewhat pregnant."

It is also used to imply fullness, completeness, thoroughness, etc.
"Cleaning Sony's rootkit from a P.C. can be somewhat of a problem for computer
newbies."

Old February 1st 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:22c3963c22a329b6a9b9057759d2ab72.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

Is this one of those weird British usages of words, like how "quite"
means "a little bit" and not "very"?///

Personally, I equate her "King sized mistake" to "Monumental F*ck-up",
but fortunately my diplomatic email prevailed over what I really wanted
to write at the time, and this is the result. )

Hey ho - I've learned a valuable lesson from this - always question what
you don't understand and don't be afraid to ask for an explaination. I
*was* initally going to let the matter ride because I've been in quite a
negative frame of mind recently, and things have been ****ty - it was
*just another blow*, but it seems that the power of purr and a positive
kick up the backside & and a stiff talking to from close friends can
work wonders!

Helen M

I know how hard it can be when every thing seems to be going against you,
not to just lie down and give up for a while.

So I want to let you know how much I respect and admire what it took for you
to dig into this situation and try to get it resolved.

Oh, and give Lily and extra scritch for me please? I suspect she spreads
courage without even trying.

Jo

Old February 1st 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Helen Miles wrote:
I emailed the course tutor for the teacher training course asking about
my application. She was very good, and emailed me back with a reason
about why I had been rejected.

Turns out that she had made a king sized mistake! An administrative
error by accident had meant that I was automatically refused a place at
teacher training college. She is sorting it out tomorrow and I'm going
to be invited to interview in the next couple of weeks.

Somewhat of a relief, I can tell you!

I figured it had to be a mistake. With your credentials it couldn't
have been anything else.

Awww. You're such a good Meowmie!

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old February 1st 06, 09:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

So I want to let you know how much I respect and admire what it took for you
to dig into this situation and try to get it resolved.////

*Blush* Thank you.

Oh, and give Lily and extra scritch for me please? I suspect she spreads
courage without even trying.////

No, she spreads MAYHEM & CHAOS without even trying! ;o) The latest trick
is jumping on my head from the bed headboard at 3am to get fed.
Scritches duly passed on though. )

Helen m

Old February 1st 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:35:38 -0600, "jmcquown"
yodeled:

Helen Miles wrote:
[...]

Of course, when it is wet, it has to be your fault, and why don't you
fix it immediately?

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old February 2nd 06, 06:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Helen Miles wrote:
[...]

Dammit, I know better! I should fix it! I don't like squishing my way to
the mailbox in wet puddles, either. I seem to forget to cast that "fix it"
spell. Grrrr

Jill