cat with possible thyroid problems

Old March 12th 09, 11:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Spot[_2_]

Default cat with possible thyroid problems

I took squeekers to the vet yesterday. He's been loosing some weight and he
shouldn't be because he's still eating like a champ.

They ran a panel at the office and everything is ok. I was worried he had
kidney disease but she said his kidneys & liver are fine for a 12 year old.
Overall his teeth look good, he has one tooth that is kind of iffy and once
this is taken care of I'll see if it should come out but right now it's not
a problem she said. Since lab came back ok she sent out more bloodwork to
check for tyroid problems. I'm just wondering what I'm in for here. I've
never had a cat who had these problems before.

Celeste

--
Get 600 FREE 4X6 prints and 600 FREE 5x7 prints
sign up for Artscow

Save 25% or more on your eBay® auctions
Snipe eBay Auctions with Bidnip
http://www.bidnip.com/a.php?id=39019

Old March 12th 09, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Celeste My Phantom 14 almost 15 year old has hyperthyroidism for about 1 1/2
years now he gets one pill a day which I put in a pill pocket and he is
done.

There is also a treatment that is about $1000.00 and it takes care of it
permanently

the kidneys and liver on yours is fine Is a very good sign. My phantom
has the tissue showing in his last work up so it is the beginning of kidney
failure for him but we still got a ways to go before it gets bad

Old March 12th 09, 05:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Spot wrote:
I'm just wondering what I'm in for here. I've
never had a cat who had these problems before.

I had two cats with hyperthyroidism. They had to have a pill twice a
day. Once you figure out a good way to administer the pills, it's a very
easy condition to care for, and the cat's quality of life is good
(especially if you do like me, and crush the pill and mix it into
something yummy, like sour cream or sardines that they will scarf up
without even noticing the medicines in it).

Neither one of them died of the hyperthyroidism, but from completely
unrelated causes.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old March 12th 09, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Spot" wrote in message
I took squeekers to the vet yesterday. He's been loosing some weight and
he shouldn't be because he's still eating like a champ.

They ran a panel at the office and everything is ok. I was worried he had
kidney disease but she said his kidneys & liver are fine for a 12 year
old. Overall his teeth look good, he has one tooth that is kind of iffy
and once this is taken care of I'll see if it should come out but right
now it's not a problem she said. Since lab came back ok she sent out more
bloodwork to check for tyroid problems. I'm just wondering what I'm in
for here. I've never had a cat who had these problems before.

Celeste

Lindy, who is now 15, was diagnosed with thyroid trouble a couple of years
ago. She is not easy to pill, so I have her medicine in liquid form. She
gets it twice a day. On November 6 of last year, a large mass was found in
her chest. Two vets and a radiologist were 95% sure it is cancer. At her
age, I didn't want to put her through a biopsy or any drastic treatment.
The first vet who found it in November said she might last 30 days on
Prednisone. A couple of weeks ago a more experienced vet checked her and
was amazed at how well she is doing. She cut the Prednisone dosage in half.

From my point of view, the only problem is that, because she was not eating
well, I had to do whatever I could to encourage her to eat. That meant
feeding her several times a day, and warming her food in the microwave. Now
that has become a habit, and she expects to be fed (and usually is) every
time I go into the kitchen. Also, my kitchen usually smells like cat food.
IMNSHO, it;s worth it.

Joy

Old March 17th 09, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Spot wrote:
I took squeekers to the vet yesterday. He's been loosing some weight and he
shouldn't be because he's still eating like a champ.

They ran a panel at the office and everything is ok. I was worried he had
kidney disease but she said his kidneys & liver are fine for a 12 year old.
Overall his teeth look good, he has one tooth that is kind of iffy and once
this is taken care of I'll see if it should come out but right now it's not
a problem she said. Since lab came back ok she sent out more bloodwork to
check for tyroid problems. I'm just wondering what I'm in for here. I've
never had a cat who had these problems before.

Celeste

Lots of purrs,
Polonca and Soncek